Setting up duel fuel tank

Submitted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:03
ThreadID: 33860 Views:3579 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm looking ways of setting up a duel fuel system or long range tank. As i have no space under vehicle I'm now considering fitting a tank in the back of my ute. A few opinions would be welcomed on this.

3 options

1. buy a long range tank replace exiting giving me about 120 litres been quoted about $1100 fitted.

2. Buy another tank same as what I have and mount in ute, giving a total of 150 litres cost for tank about $80.00 plus fitting etc.

3. Buy stainless steel tank mount in ute, giving a total of 195 litres, tank cost or hes asking $400.00 + fitting

Other consideration
1. do I just gravity feed to existing tank? not my favorite option

2. Set up to switch between tanks and have seperate gauges for eack tank.

3. what effect will the weight have in back of ute as its would now not be as low as the existing, I guess I could use this fuel first so reduces the balance effect?.

4. The tank in the tray will take up room and I guess reduce the ability to camp in the back if need be, not that i am now.

The reason i'm looking at duel tanks is some of my trips coming up are rather long between stops and I will also be carring fuel for the other vehicle and a tray full of jerry cans apart from the cost of the jerry cans seems a bad option.

Any advise would be most welcome.

Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:17

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:17
I went through this same process a while ago and getting the right amount of fuel carried, came to a staggering $2500 for LR tanks for 214lts capacity.

I opted for a 7x4 bush offroad HD trailer. I then built a false floor into the trailer and lay down 12 jerrycans on carpet on the floor. On the top I carry camping gear.
(I already had the jerry cans).

Now I have a fuel capacity of 240lts in trailer and 95lts in truck giving me a worse case scenario range(25/100) of 1320km

Cheers

AnswerID: 172457

Follow Up By: quicksilver103 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:41

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:41
I have used a 44gal/200lt drum with some mods very cheap and easy. Frst get small bung on drum and fit a tubeless tyer valve , now you need some one who can do pipe work use copper tube long enough to reach bottom of drum with a bit left over and fit a tap on top with a connector for hose. Fit through large bung and seal. use compressor to pressurise an away you go .
FollowupID: 428074

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:18

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:18
If we're talking diesel, then read on. If talking petrol please disregard the following:

I also prefer jerry cans, and its nothing to do with cost.
- The aftermarket tanks can crack - I've seen a few do it but not seen a factory tank fail.
- Its generally only one or two trips a year where I need the big capacity, and its a pain to be carrying around extra weight for the rest of the year.
- With jerry cans, I can take as few or as many as I need - actually got space for 14 jerries in the truck, but can't say I'd ever use the lot.
- If you get a batch of water or crud in diesel, it settles to the bottom of jerry cans, so when you pour the diesel into the tank, you can avoid tipping the crap into the tank.
- If a mate runs out of fuel, you can lend a jerrycan.
- The gauges in aftermarket tanks are always guesswork - jerrycans are 105% usable (hehe 21 litres of diesel fits easily into a 20 litre jerry)
- Jerry cans weigh next to nothing

And seeing cost is mentioned, I've bought the good quality Rheem or Willow plastic jerries for $20 each, and if you're handy with a welder, just make up a rack to secure them.
AnswerID: 172508

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:41

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:41
Brian,

What is your longest trip between refuelling points ?

Why are you carrying fuel for another vehicle ?

Just chasing more info re your predicament. I have the same problem with my vehicle. Have carried 5 or 6 jerries before with no real problems.
AnswerID: 172532

Reply By: Pitbull - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 08:24

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 08:24
Our next trip is the Simpson, so depending on which line we take (most likely french line) which is about 480 or so klm + about 80 to Mt dare. I'm assuming as I only get 350 - 400 a tank (which sucks) based on my current consumption.

So as being a novice and taking what advise I can about sand driving I will cut my Klms by about half so on that I'm looking at around 175 - 200 klms. Which leaves me carrying a lot of fuel to be safe then spare, just in case.

As for the other vehicle we are sharing gear so we are not overloading any one vehicle and I felt it better i take the fuel save him putting any inside is wagon while he takes the water etc

Maybe being over carefully .......... however sitting in the simpson because you ran out of fuel kinda reeks at being ill prepared and just plan stupid in my opinon.

Hence my reason to look at duel tanks to save on carring the jerry cans and we are looking at the kimberlys followed by Bris - Alice - Darwin - Kurumba - Cape and back to bris.

Then again most likey buy an 80 series diesel by then for a bit of comfort.

BTW thanks for the advise people
Brian

AnswerID: 172597

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 20:32

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 20:32
Brian,

Am a bit of an aux tank bloke, but can see the argument for jerricans. We have an 80 series, with 160L replacement tank, as well as the main. Gives good range, but a big weight penalty when full. As we don't live in town, most of our trips are long ones.

Had a Hilux dualcab years ago, that I had an 80L aux made in the Alice, that fitted between the wheel arches. That fuel gravitated into the main tank, used about 50% of main, then turned on the aux. Once the main's fuel gauge began to drop again, we knew the aux was empty.

With jerrys, once they're empty, they can be chucked up on roof rack, to make more space(for what I don't know)

Good point about being well prepared for the Simpson.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 428302

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 10:36

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 10:36
For long trips when the two tanks in the truck (both the Humvee and the troopies) weren't big enough we've always used a Float Pac 100l bladder. Diesel only of course.
Once the kids got too big to have it on the rear floor we then put it on the roof, draining it at every stop to top the main tank up so as to get the weight off the roof.
It is then rolled up and stored when empty, it lasted 14 years and many outback trips before it started to leak through a seam. Not bad value for around $250.
We've also got two 50l water bladders which are used the same, topping up the main plastic caravan tank till they are empty and then rolled up and stored.
AnswerID: 172611

Sponsored Links