traveling with a dog

Submitted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 11:53
ThreadID: 33862 Views:1809 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,
taking the dog on a round the country trip would appreciate the best info for this type of trip.
thanks
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:28

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:28
Keep the dog close at all times. In remote areas the property owners lay baits, and unfortunately dogs love em. A painful way to go, and a heartache for the dogs owners. Be aware that you can't take dogs into lots of areas.
AnswerID: 172485

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:35

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:35
John,

Check these out if you have'nt already

Bush Camping with Dogs

Dogsites
AnswerID: 172487

Reply By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:40

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:40
Hi there!
Well, I travel with my dog all over the place..she is my constant companion, and wouldn't have it any other way! However, there are a few things that you have to be aware of. Here is a list that might assist you.
(1) Make sure the dog can travel comfortably, and not impede the safety factor whilst travelling in the vehicle. Restraints are a good idea.
(2) Insure the dog has a secure living area of it's own whilst camping. I have a collapsable steel enclosure that I can erect next to the caravan/camper which affords the dog room to move, shade and keeps it secure, and not annoying other people.
(3) A lot of caravan parks will not allow pets, so you will have to make sure, it using caravan parks, the pet will be allowed. There is a great book on the market called "Travelling with your pet"..worth getting, as it lists most of the areas that a dog is allowed.
(4) Make sure your dog is people-friendly ( mixes well, espcially with children) Nothing worst than taking the chance the dog will bite!

(5) Feed the dog a good meal first thing in the morning, that way it will rest and sleep during the day, and only become alert at night. Saves on the barking bit!

(6) Make sure the dog has all its injections etc before you head off, and take medication that the dog may need if that is pertenent. In the book I mentioned, there is also a list of vets around the country, could prove useful if the dog gets ill.

(7) Carry a snake bite kit! For you and the dog! Also be aware of ticks in the bush.
Remember, there will be places around the country that you can not take a dog (National parks etc) so be aware of it when travelling.

If travelling up north, keep dog away from creeks and rivers..crocodiles love ém!

Finally, have your dog micro-chipped. Helps if it wanders off and gets lost.
Hope some of this will be of assistance. Remember, on the road, they are just as troublesome as kids if you bare not prepared.
Good travelling!
Bronco
AnswerID: 172488

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:29

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:29
Animals can be worse than kids :(
My parents decided we would take the cat years ago. Crapped all over the back seat and then shot through into Paramatta cemetary at 4.30am. We didn't really want to go looking as we were only kids ourselves. Last time the cat went, but they took the dog to Cairns in the wet season . We stayed in a van and my sister made boots for the dog to try and keep the mud out. Not so funny at the time.
FollowupID: 428125

Follow Up By: stormbay - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:51

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:51
thanks for the info, can you tell me where you got your collapsable cage?
thanks
FollowupID: 428134

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 15:50

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 15:50
Hi Stormbay

My little fellow has been a few places and some he probably should not have been but he is very small and I restrict his movements if need be, Yes they can make things difficult at times and I just try to adjust things to suit, If it is a large dog then it will be even more difficult , but have a little peek at Dusty's story and see what he reackons. members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/dusty1.htm
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172526

Reply By: Ray Bates - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 19:57

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 19:57
I have done two trips around Aus. The first time I had two dogs and the second time one. I had to pick my places to stay. I did a lot of bush camping and had no trouble getting into caravan parks. As far as national parks are concerned, I do not believe in being ripped off so it didn't worry me that I was not able to go in but there are still alot of researves that are open to dogs. If you are prepared to avoid the main terrorist areas and keep to the smaller towns there is usually no problem in getting in the caravan parks with dogs and most of these parks are very friendly places though they may not have all the posh facilities.
I am strongly considering doing a third trip soon and my doggy daughter will be coming with me so take your dog with you and you will all have a good holiday.
Best of luck
AnswerID: 172557

Sponsored Links