GU 3.0 Thrust Bearing

Submitted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:11
ThreadID: 33864 Views:2226 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, My Patrol has just clocked 50,000 (3yrs old) and is still under warranty. My local service Mechanic has diagnosed the noise coming from my clutch - when the pedal is depressed and the revs are above 2,000, as coming from the Thrust Bearing. When I went to the Nissan dealership, they advised me that they shall have to contact Nissan and advise me whether this is covered as a warranty problem or just 'acceptable' as a functional noise. My question is however, is it doing any harm which shall lead to failure of the clutch and therefore should I press to have it fixed as a warranty issue, or is it something that I can accept as a minor irritation when I'm changing up through the gears? Any comments most welcome. Thankyou.
Ken
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 8 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:03

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:03
Ken,, A noisy thrust bearing will not affect your clutch as it only works when the clutch pedal is operated and is just a thrust bearing that contacts the pressure plate diaphragm that disengages the clutch. However if it is real bad and starting to seize it can cause wear on the diaphragm over a period of time. If you have been driving in water it may have got water in the bearing causing the problem.
Regards Nav.
AnswerID: 172495

Reply By: RosscoH - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:00

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:00
Hi KenA, Any noise from a thrust bearing means only one thing " IT IS SHAGGED". Throwout bearings DON"T have "FUNCTIONAL NOISE". If the dealer won't accept it as warranty contact Nissan Head Office Yourself, Nissan Dealers are all too good at shirking responsability on warranty claims. I Know I am right here as I have had 25 years experience as a Qualified Diesel Fitter. Rip it up them, don't be stood over to save them a few bucks, they'er good at taking it off you when you buy the thing in the first place. 50,000 is pathetic life for a throw out bearing.

Gheers RosscoH
AnswerID: 172502

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:32

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:32
exactly. Even if it was only a noise, 50,000 ks is not much and within warranty the answer will be that Nissan will fix it surely - just scream blue murder. Send nasty faxes to HO.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 428127

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:50

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:50
You've clearly never owned a Triton Rossco... I'm not having a go, but the thrust bearings in the V6 Tritons are noisey from new... 102,000k and no failure so far and everyone I have spoken to has had the same noise from new. A mate with a '96 model recently replaced his clutch with an OEM unit and yep, noisey new thrust bearing. And before you ask if the thrust bearing was replaced, he did it in his garage with his neighbour(a Mitsu mechanic) and they replaced everything from the spigot bearing back... I don't know Nissans so I can't comment on whether this noise is a precursor to a bearing failure but I just wanted to add that some thrust bearings DO have "functional noise".
FollowupID: 428159

Reply By: KenA - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:27

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:27
Thankyou Nav, RosscoH and Andrew W. I shall be very interested to hear of Nissan's reply on ? Monday. Certainly I shall pursue the matter to its fullest and have had dealings before with the customer support manager at the Nissan Dandenong office. Thankyou again for your quick replies.
Ken
AnswerID: 172531

Follow Up By: hl - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:44

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:44
Hi,

Before you get heavy with them... Just ask yourself if you've been through deep water with the truck.. If there is any sign of water ingress, you'll be the one paying. And you won't know until the box has been out!

Cheers
FollowupID: 428180

Reply By: patrolzd30 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 20:36

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 20:36
Hi

I have a 2003 GU 3.0 litre Patrol, 34,000 Kms (out of warrany) I have had noisy spigot bushes for about six months now (only when cold) Also I have a knocking noise at idle sometimes, but if you increase the revs, it will go away. I went to Nissan about this (when it was still under warrany) and they said that they never heard about this before (the knock) yeah right! Anyway, I will replace the clutch and spigot bushes with after market,Exedy, parts. I will also replace the flywheel with a solid type one at the same time,as this is the cause of the knock at idle. the clutch kit and solid flywheel, from Exedy is about $1250 trade price (for anybody with the same problems as me).I know I should have pushed for Nissan to do this while it was still under warrany, but at least if you do it yourself you know it was done, and it was done correctly! and you wont be without a car for,god knows how long!
AnswerID: 172566

Reply By: KenA - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:15

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:15
Hi HL. The deepest water I went through was about 17 months age (the Mitchell River at Angusvale) but the water was no higher than the top of the tyres. We had stopped for about forty minutes prior, to allow things to cool down before doing the water crossing as is advised. I would have thought though that the built in idea of a high ground clearance vehicle like a Patrol would be to be able to go through water etc without ingress problems and I'm sure many other GU's have been through water deeper than the crossing I did. However, I shall word and verbalise my enquiry to Nissan politely.
Thanks,
Ken
AnswerID: 172581

Reply By: Baldrick - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:10

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:10
Mine did the same thing at 30,000km and was replaced without question under warranty. It's a Landie not a Nissan but that shouldn't make any difference.
AnswerID: 173243

Sponsored Links