advice needed on possible purchase of '91 Hilux SR5 please.

Submitted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 19:33
ThreadID: 33889 Views:1825 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My uncle is wanting to buy a 1991 Hilux SR5 and he has found one near where I live at the Sunshine Coast, Qld, and because he lives a couple of hours away he wants me to go and check it out. Only thing is, my car ownership experience consists of a couple of Falcons and a Toyota MR2 and so I'm not 100% sure of what I should be looking for.

The SR5 in particular is a duel-cab diesel with 234,000kms on it, has been fitted with a lift-kit, extractors, bullbar, side steps and 32" tyres. The guy is asking $6900 for it and has rego until August.

Are there any problems that are typical of this model that I should be aware of?
Is this a fair price?

Any help would be appreciated, and as I'm going to look at the ute tomorrow (15/5) afternoon, if you could help me out ASAP it would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 20:12

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 20:12
Diesels have their own set of problems, and it depends on how well maintained it is as to how good it will be. Look for smoke, particularly too much blue or white smoke. Too rattly ? Take it up a hill and watch the exhaust. Diesels dont drive like a car, but it should have some power after you get the revs up.
Take it off the tar and put the free wheeling hubs in and check it will go into all 4wd ranges, dont forget reverse.
Turn it in a tight circle and see if there are serious clunking sounds. Get underneath after driving and check for oil leaks. Make sure its got brakes that work.
Sorry, all I can think of at the moment. But for the money, I'd have it checked by the RACQ...costs money but well worth it.
Good luck
AnswerID: 172659

Reply By: dan26aus - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 20:42

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 20:42
Hi there Blutura, i too lived on the sunny coast until i moved to gladstone. The biggest problem on the coast as you would be aware of is rust !!!. My advise to you would be to check out the bottoms of all the doors ( inside mainly ), back tailgate ( inside mainly ), and in the corners of the engine bay, i spose all else i can offer you is check oil leaks( ball joints especially ),smoke & what colour !!!!!

Hope thats some help to you & if in doubt, don't recommend it...

Dan
AnswerID: 172661

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:32

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:32
blutura
Remember, if this is a private sale then there will be NO warranty,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172693

Sponsored Links