Taking the Big Step!

Submitted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:04
ThreadID: 33938 Views:2686 Replies:16 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
You have planned this for years...to eventually get away from it all and do the very thing you have been talking about for..what?..the last ten years or so?
Finally, the kids are all grown up and doing thier own thing ( and you have paid the final university fees!) In my case, divorced and free as a bird!
You can now do it!
Spent the last year setting up for the Big One.
Bought the appropriate vehicle, kitted out the best way you know how.
Brand new/second hand caravan sitting in the driveway, once again a lot of time spent getting the interior just the way you want it..even a flat screen TV!
All the mod cons that others tell you will be needed (oftern wonder if I really need all this stuff!) you know, portable generator, up-graded tool kit, communication gear, both HF and UHF., satelite phone, recovery gear,spar this, spare that, maps, etc.
Spent hundred of hours reading about it, talking about it, chasing information from wherever you can, gaining views and pointers from those who have already done it.
Planned it out to the finest detail..what route you will take, what you want to see, best time of the year to travel, road conditions,weather,..all that! Many a short weekend trip to test it all out, and to finetune your gear. God, I do believe your ready!
Retired, no commitments, a few bucks saved, ( Service pension is a help!) Rented premises, so no probs about selling up, apart from the odd bits and pieces of furnishings you have collected over the last few years. Spent the last six months in the gym getting fit to enjoy it all.
Discussed it all with your accountant, bank manager and those that need to know, the family are all advised, even arranged for mail to be redirected through the kids.
Decided to keep the vehicle and van registered in Victoria (cheaper), and assured the kids that once a year you will call back to visit (quick flight back for a week from wherever!) So...what's keeping you?
Taking that first step!
Breaking away from what you have been used to all these years!
Nothing holding you back...except the fear of leaving it all behind and actually doing it!
You know that all it takes is that first step...but wow..what a step!
All those that you know who are doing it tell you that it is the best move they ever made...so come on!...take that first step!..easier said than done, I fear! Oh, I will do it..and soon...but I never really thought it would be so hard! See, my plan is to become a Grey Nomad,..fulltime! Give it all away and hit the road. Not just for a holiday, but as a life-style! Me, I'm lucky, I guess, because I can work at what I do whilst on the road as a free-lance artist/illustrator, so all I have to do is take that Big Step!......wow!
Exciting, though, huh?
Bronco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:10

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:10
Ray, I understand your reluctance. But mate, there's a whole world out there just waiting for you. Adventure unlimited. Wine, women, and song. New places and faces. New experiences. You'll find things you didn't know existed and share campfires with people that have led very different and interesting lives.
And by the sounds of it you will still have something to come back to if you so desire.
When you finally do go, you'll wonder why it ever took you so long.
AnswerID: 172924

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:18

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:18
very interesting comments indeed
throw a dart at calender and just leave on that date no matter what.
3 weeks after you go you will be fine
lucky bugger
AnswerID: 172925

Reply By: J.T. - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:38

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 13:38
Mate I reckon once you hit the road you,ll love it.As you say it,s easy to fly home now and then and the worst case scenario you hate it you can drive home from the other side of Australia in a liesurely week or so.Sounds like you have planned well.Good luck.
Cheers John.(30 years left to plan retirement).
AnswerID: 172931

Reply By: maroni - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:10

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:10
go, go, go
you can do it!!!!!
AnswerID: 172937

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:29

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:29
Go for it Ray. Don't dillydally about. You'll kick yourself if you leave it too late.

Just make sure you keep logging on here to keep us updated on your adventures.
AnswerID: 172941

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:30

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:30
Good luck you lucky bugger.. I have years of practicing with short trips ahead of me to get to where you are.. Safe travels and what have you got to loose hey.. everything to gain.. have a blast..
AnswerID: 172943

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:40

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 14:40
Ray the paintings in your profile look fantastic!
AnswerID: 172946

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 15:04

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 15:04
Ray, I just had a look at your paintings and if you ever start to feel lonely, just pull out the easel and get to work. You will very quickly be surrounded by people admiring your work and asking questions. The ice is broken and the conversation will flow from there. YOU WILL HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME AND YOU WILL REGRET PUTTING IT OFF FOR SO LONG.
Have a great trip and keep us informed on how your going.
AnswerID: 172951

Reply By: Member - Cliff L (NSW) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 15:29

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 15:29
Ray

Go for it mate !! as one Ex Serviceman to another I wish I was in the same position BUT still have a Uni student to look after!!!

Cliff
AnswerID: 172954

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:12

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:12
What is stopping you Ray? Why didn't you leave yesterday? Have a ball.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172959

Reply By: marion - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:15

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:15
Ray 'today is the first day of the rest of your life' and wow what a life you are going to make for your self so go for it, you deserve it. Cheers marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 172960

Reply By: Member - Sharyn M (VIC) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:17

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:17
Go for it Ray! Life is like a book "one chapter ends another begins" new places to see, new people to meet, life is to become one big adventure and besides you can always come home! Go, enjoy!

Sharyn
AnswerID: 172961

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:53

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 16:53
Ray, with all those things going through your head, here's one more for you to ponder, how many times have you heard it said, I waited all my life for this time to come and now it's here I'm too ill to go, if onlty I'd ..............................
go for it mate you lucky "B"
enjoy, we'll be thinking of you,
all the best,
Dave
AnswerID: 172965

Reply By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:33

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:33
Lift you're right foot off the brake & plant it on the accelerator & GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO man & don't look back till you're at least 100k away & only then make it a quick look.Enjoy you're new adventure i am Etremely ENVIOUS,cheer's Bob.
AnswerID: 172987

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:41

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:41
Hi Ray

Don't set off for the big one. Just go up to Bright and spend a week. THEN ... go up to Forbes and spend a week. And just go one step at a time!

You wiull stop worrying once you are out of Vic and talking with all the travellers!

Good luck

Max
AnswerID: 172990

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 19:39

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 19:39
Good luck Ray....Take a deep breath and just do it...

To quote Mark Twain.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover".

Best wishes.
AnswerID: 173000

Follow Up By: SPIKE - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 20:00

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 20:00
`Hi Ray
You lucky bugger head of now you never know what tomorrow will bring .
Have a great trip and safe traveling.

FollowupID: 428715

Sponsored Links