Removal of seats landcruisers

Submitted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:41
ThreadID: 33950 Views:1938 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi
a recent discussion by a policeman on the radio stated the removal of seats in the 4wd vehicles could pose a problem if in Queensland.
He said he knew someone who was defected in queensland and who had to remove drawers and buy new seats to replace then and there before the defect notice was lifted adn he was alllowed to move on.
anyone know anything about this?
In sa we can remove seats as long as it is not deemed permanent and is reversible.
even drawers are allowed. anyone from Queensland with any information would be appreciated.
thanks
karen and malcolm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:49

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:49
Very old story. Yes he was defected and fined. He shouldn't have been the regs are very clear. If I was him I'd apeal. Seat removal is fine if temporary. Do a search and you'll find heaps of discussion re this.
AnswerID: 172992

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 19:03

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 19:03
Yes and the regulations within the ADR's approving seat removal is Australia wide and not State based.

Hopefully the fella has sued the Fining Dept and has been recompensed.

As David says, it is an old story.
FollowupID: 428691

Reply By: blown4by - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 00:06

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 00:06
In WA you remove the seats and respective seat belts and get a Modification Permit $31.00 and you are then covered insurance wise as well as being protected from Mr Plod. The reason it is deemed necessary is that the actual seating is differnet from that specified on the compliance plate put on the vehicle by the manufacturer when built.
AnswerID: 173061

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:07
In my 100 the 3rd row are designed to clip out. Surely that's legal, otherwise they couldn't be ADR approved in the first place.
AnswerID: 173103

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:31

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:31
I recently had my vehicle inspected for a Roadworthy Certificate to change rego to Queensland. The mechanic told me he had defected it as the third row rear seats, which are removable, were out and drawers in their place.

It seems the Queensland transport inspector was there. When they left he reversed the defect saying that he knows if he made me refit the seats I'd just take them out again after it was registered. The thing that got me through was I hadn't removed the restraints which is were the plods justify the rule.

Now why can't the dumb plods use that sort of common sense as the mechanic.

ADR do not stop a state having its own slant on that rule either.
AnswerID: 173107

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:58

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:58
Further to my last is a quote from the 4WD Council of Australia

"Removing seats, where no tools or only simple tools are needed, where no structural modifications are involved; no change in vehicle category and no commercial gain is sought; does not need approval and so is not committing an offence. No AVSR is affected nor are any ADRs breached.

No approval is needed and no seating change plate is issued where temporary changes are made. An example of a temporary change includes removing the rear seat(s) from a hatchback to make available additional load space, providing there was no expectation of the vehicle being classified from a sedan to a commercial vehicle.

Where the seats are removed to change a vehicle registration category, or to skirt established arrangements such as ADR certification, or to make a substantial structural change relevant authority approval is needed. If any change in classification is sought, an inspection is required and a label attached accordingly"

If I were defected by a misinformed plod I would certainly be following it up until someone produced the actual legislation in black and white...

I recall this one cop that used to rush to any accident in Brisbane involving Army vehicles as he had some sort of grudge. One wasn't even the Army driver's fault. but he insisted it was until it was proved otherwise later..at the end of the day they are human too and bound to make mistakes...poor things.

FollowupID: 428934

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:56

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:56
i don't know if this will help but there are a couple of vks737 mag issues that go into this in detail and quote the relevant adr sections - the issue is the capability of the vehicle - removing the seats does not alter the adr compliance plate as the vehicle is still capable of carrying whatever is on the plate - make sense???? i am carrying the relevant mags with me as i cross into qld in a couple of weeks and have no seats apart from the 2 front buckets (lwb maverick).............and having so far been through sa/tas/vic and nsw with no problems then surely there could be no interest from those great officers from the qpol could there????? rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 173130

Sponsored Links