EFA Shocks

Submitted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:28
ThreadID: 33961 Views:1855 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
To all those who’ve experience with “EFS” shocks, how are they going now? From search, the last entry was about Jan last year, time from an update from users.

Apparently they’re identical to TJM “XGS”, except for the colour. I’ve been told they were designed by the same bloke when he was with TJM. They are cheaper but come with a longer warranty. I was initially enquiring about Bilsteins as these appear to be the duck’s nuts for Landies, but have been steered towards these. The suggestion is they are about 85% as good as Bilsteins but about ½ the price. It was suggested to me the Billies would be good for 8-10 hours of corrugated roads whilst the EFS would last 5-6 hours before needing a break … I reckon I would by then also.

But wait … there’s more. I just had the alignment and balance checked by a local crowd. Asked them to check the shocks while they were at it and they advised they were on the way out (69K OEM jobs). So … is it easy to tell if they are on the way out? They still seem to work .. no rebound problems after speed bumps etc, or excessive lean on corners. The crowd proposing EFS (where I spend moderately lotsa ching ching) on 4WD bits and pieces suggest there’s probably still a reasonable life left in the original shocks and I shouldn’t rush into it. I realise some aftermarket jobs are better but I’m not overly loaded with excess dollars to the extent I can throw them away unnecessarily.

The originals have done a trip to the Cape ….corrrrrrugggggations galore plus a trip to the high country …. no corrugations but max articulation plus numerous small trips etc etc.

We’re heading off for a small (3 week) jaunt around Corner Country/Simpson in July, hence my conundrum.

What’s the general consensus of opinion on:
(a) Expected lifespan of OEM shocks
(b) Opinions on “EFS” shocks
(c) It is easy to tell it shocks are on the way out, but not yet stuffed (which would make it real easy)

Cheers

Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Qld - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:29

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:29
Oops .......... let's make that EFS shall we .......... :>}
AnswerID: 173034

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:41

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:41
"The suggestion is they are about 85% as good as Bilsteins but about ½ the price"

In my experience in life, this never really happens.
With suspension do you wanna risk it failing in middle of nowhere?
AnswerID: 173038

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 02:35

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 02:35
EFS are made by Carroll Springs who have a reputation second to none. I had them fitted on recommendation from a collegue who runs a suspension business and have been very pleased with its performance to date.

Have a read of the following editorial, it rates them well.

Site Link

Cheers, Patrick
AnswerID: 173066

Follow Up By: Rosco - Qld - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 07:46

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 07:46
Thanks Patrick

Interesting article.

Cheers

Rosco
FollowupID: 428891

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:26

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:26
G'day Rosco
(a) varies
(b) no idea as have never had them, but 4WD TV rates them highly (however that wouldn't have anything to do with sponsorship would it?)
(c) give each corner a good push/pull and see what happens when you let go. That corner should not continue bouncing up and down. If it does shock is stuffed.
AnswerID: 173135

Reply By: banjodog - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:28

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:28
The Terrain Tamer "Expanded Gas Body" shocks are the same as TJM XGS which are the same as EFS - albeit different valving. Might be worth a look too before you buy.

Terrain Tamer
AnswerID: 173162

Follow Up By: Sarg - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:05

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:05
And all made in Brazil by Cofab
FollowupID: 429060

Sponsored Links