Fuel Filter Bleeding

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:00
ThreadID: 33989 Views:7228 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have replaced fuel filter on my 2003 Jackeroo 3 Ltr Diesel Turbo,and have found a problem,
Starting 1 st thing (cold)it will start and will not rev more than 800 rpm.if I let it run at idle or 5 min I can then get enough revs (say 2000 rpm)to drive it,after a few KM it comes good and drives as normal.
It seems that the problem is there when its cold,when it is hot it seems normal and can stop and re start with out any problem.
Can any one advise on what I should look for to rectify this
Thanks
Yap Yap
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:42

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:42
Perhaps you have an air leak somewhere in the fuel system. I'd check all your connections and you're primer pump, maybe even just take it all off and put it all back together again to be sure.

I know on mine I have to remove the sender at the bottom and both the inlet and outlet hoses to change it, if you had to do the same it's possible one of them is not fitted tight enough after the change. Also take the filter off and rub some engine oil round the rubber seal and put it back on again.
AnswerID: 173193

Follow Up By: yap yap - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:38
Thanks for the information I will give it a go
Thanks
Yap Yap
FollowupID: 429092

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:20

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:20
Check for a air leak if the problem is one that you have caused.

The Rodeo and Jackaroo fuel caps have a valve that block up. Remove the fuel cap and take it for a drive. (Just to test) Not looking for any smart comebacks.

I had a customer who after fitting a long range tank had the same problem when low on fuel. The exhaust ran past the tank and when the car cooled down the air in the tank cooled down so fast in the alloy tank it sucked the rubber valve shut.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 173222

Follow Up By: yap yap - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:40

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:40
Thanks for your help,will give It a go
Thanks again
Yap Yap
FollowupID: 429094

Follow Up By: Rigor - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:09

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:09
Spot on Derek , I removed the O ring on my fuel cap when I had the injector sleeve problem (recall) only to start it in the morning . As the tank cools over night it sucks the fuel out of the system . A bit of a side issue a mate has a 3L Patrol and was having difficulty starting in the morning , everything checked OK and his mechanic suggested an electric fuel pump near the tank which pressurises the system to about 5 PSI . Now starts first crank and he caims cured a dead spot of idle.

cheers dave L.
FollowupID: 429150

Reply By: Andrew-rodeo - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 00:48

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 00:48
Did you change the oil aswell? If it is the electronic diesel they MUST run a thin oil 5w or 10w if you run a thicker oil the injectors cannot fire properly, a complicated oil system is used that boosts injection pressure up. In bad cases cars will not start in the winter.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 173461

Follow Up By: yap yap - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 09:17

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 09:17
Thanks Andrew,yes the oil was changed I will check out what grade used and advise ?
FollowupID: 429438

Reply By: yap yap - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 11:59

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 11:59
Andrew you were spot on,had the VACC and a diesel expert look at it and they bith said it was a air in the fuel system and I needed to crack a injector to clear it.
On your advise I found that the service man put in 15w oil the same day I changed the fuel filter.(reason I through I caused the problem)
Had the oil changed to 5w and the problem solved.

Thanks again Andrew
AnswerID: 173642

Reply By: Athol - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 17:42

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 17:42
Have you changed BOTH oil filters.

These vehicles have a small Z79 filter fitted to the left rear lower engine area, and this filter supplies all the oil that is used for the fuel injection system.

Holden claim that this filter only needs to be changed at major engine overhaul, or if the oil is contaminated. I ask why you are changine the oil if it is not suffering from some form of contamination.

I change Both filters every 10.000k, and experience no problems.

I also ensure that the breather hose from the top of the fuel filler is clear, this hose has its lower (open) end near the right rear mudflap, or beside the fuel tank and can be difficult to find

Athol
AnswerID: 174015

Follow Up By: Spudley - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 22:15
Howd'y, I've got a 2002 turbo diesel jackaroo also and have recently had a few fuel problems. A mate of mine has one too, slightly older, about 2000. We both have noticed its fairly hard to start the engine (say compared with modern fuel injected petrol cars or even my old 1HZ toyota diesel) and this is particularly evident when it's cold. A Holden guy once told me its because the engine is prevented from starting by the programming in the ECU which won't let it kick over 'till the oil pressure reaches a certain pre-determined level. Presumably the ignition is prevented by the fuel injection being 'retarded' 'till the pressure gets high enough. This is supposedly a bit of a safety thing as well as its supposed to protect some vital components from wear/damage 'till theres an adequate supply of lubricating oil present. I've noticed it starts more quickly after its warmed up so the oil would be a bit thinner then. I guess it makes sense. Another thing I've noticed is that more battery CCA = faster start up. i.e. The 2002 (and later) Jackaroo diesels had dual batteries from factory BUT, like the 100 series landcruisers this is more a factor of getting cranking power UP within a cramped underbonnet environment. Easier to fit two smaller batteries in than one huge truck size one. They are just wired in parallel to give twice the CCA rating = plenty of start-up power. I've had my batteries replaced (another story) with fairly high CCA rating (Exide Extremes) and fitted a Redarc battery isolator between them so usually I now only have one starting battery (which is the bigger of the two). I can hit a button on the dash and bring the second battery back into circuit (still in parallel) to help start and I notice this makes the engine start (cold) about twice as fast. I've said all this because I think the extra starting speed comes simply from extra cranking speed (or battery CCA) which lends itself to the idea that the oil pressure thingo is the real reason behind the inherrently sluggish starting on these engines.
On another front though, I only 'fill up about once every 3 or 4 weeks (not a daily driver) and I recently had the motor running sluggishly when you put your foot down to accelerate (OK at idle). Like if it was petrol, you'd think it had a dud spark plug or lead or simillar. That turned out to be probably caused by slime in the fuel filter. I'm told this probably was the result of the car sitting 'round in the driveway for a week or so with half a tank of fuel in cold weather. 1/2 a tank of fuel also means 1/2 a tank of air. Algae can grow in diesel, or more precisely, at the interface between the fuel and water. They grow better in higher oxygen concentrations. If water vapour condenses in your tank and drips into the fuel, it sinks to the bottom (h2o being denser than diesel) and the biological 'bugs' can then grow at the interface between the fuel and the water. This algae stuff can produce a slime that gets stuck in the fuel filter. I tried some diesel fuel conditioner which seemd to work after 2 days (ran better than ever) but then within a day, it was running crappy again. I then changed the fuel filter which seemed to make it much better but still not perfect. I opened up the old filter and saw the 'slime'. It was a kinda brownish colour and like vasseline petrolium jelly and had done a great job of blocking the fuel filter medium. No wonder it ran crap, it was struggling for fuel. Recirculating fuel systems are supposed to clog the fuel filter quicker becuse the algae slime growing in the tank is constantly getting pumped into the fuel lines and the filter than has to take it out. I now have some Biocide to put into the tank to kill the bugs but I haven't had the chance to 'treat' it yet. I hope it works because I'm supposed to be going bush next month. I've been searching the net to find out if I could fit a Lucas/CAV/delphi glass bowl filter in series prior to the factory filter as I'm told they shouldn't be used to do a complete replacement (something to do with 9 micron filtration instead of 5 and a pressurised fuel feed as opposed to vacuum). I'd hoped this would make it easier to get the 'bugs' or other gunk (including water) out of the fuel before it hits the (expensive) factory filter. (I can't believe Holden specify a 40,000k service life between fuel filter changes but that's what it says in the service book, crazy) CAV/Lucas/delphi filter elements are cheap! Dunno if this will help anyone but then again it just might. I've some more info regarding running on biodiesel if anyone is interested but that enough for now I recon. I should say the 3.0 litre jackaroo turbo diesel is actually an amazingly good 4wd for the money and I love it. All I gotta do is sort out my 'bugs'.
Spudley.
FollowupID: 434524

Sponsored Links