Fridge Box Ventilation

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:25
ThreadID: 33993 Views:11298 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everybody,
Just in the process of having fridge box designed/made for the draw bar of our camper trailer. It will house a 3way fridge. Has anyone got any good advice regarding keeping dust out but still retaining good ventilation to enable the fridge to work well. It will be running on 12v (or maybe an inverter) while travelling.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW, 2527) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:53

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:53
Hi Wilgadene
I made up an aluminium box for the drawbar on our C/T and used to keep the fridge on a slide on one side and a genny and other stuff on the other side. On the rear side of the box I riveted a couple of premade louvered panels, available from caravan spare shops (approx 6"x8") on either side. On the inside I made a clamping arrangement to hold a couple of cheap air filters, rectangler ones from supacheap (cant remember the model). Had no problems, just give them a blow out and used to replace them every year or so.
Hope this makes sense.

Athol
AnswerID: 173254

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 07:49

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 07:49
Having just done the rounds of the camping shows of the camping shows looking for our CT, I noticed a few fridge boxes on the draw bars. Said to my wife, "like dust in your food?".
On closer inspection, most had a forward facing baffled vent (to keep the rain out) on top, with a plain paper element air cleaner underneath inside. Looked just like the air cleaner off the XT or XE ford, about 300mm in dia and 50mm high. Looked like the same lid and wing nut underneath too.

Some had a rear facing extractor vent also, which had some foam over.

I was looking at what could be done with an old finer filter air cleaner.

That help stir the grey matter?
AnswerID: 173287

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:10

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:10
If there's no fan to force the air through the filter element, I can't see ther ebeing any significant air flow.

Most cooling will occur by conduction through the walls of the box - make sure it is painted white. You coukd easily test it - put a 100 watt bulb inside it with the airways covered and see how much the temperature rises.

Mike
AnswerID: 173293

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:33

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:33
Your right,

Makes you wonder about hooking a 5" 12 volt fan (like a computer fan from Jaycar) as well off the fridge circuit.

Getting more complicated.

Most probably why I keep the fridge in the back of the car.
FollowupID: 429236

Reply By: spliney - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 17:32

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 17:32
I carry a 60L Trailblaza in an aluminium box on the draw-bar and faced the same problem. I wanted to set up cross-ventilation to prevent heat build-up in the box - mostly when travelling, as the lid can be opened when stopped. These are the things i did...

* Cut vents into the box on front and rear faces and riveted on covers or baffles to keep out the rain.
* Mounted a 100mm computer fan as an extractor fan on inside the rear vent. (Wired with fuse and switch also mounted inside the box.)
* Glued insulation to the underside of the box lid to keep out as much solar heat as possible.
* Fitted spacers under the fridge to lift it enough for air to circulate underneath.

Haven't been on the dirt with it yet, but intend to mount an air-filter on inside of intake vent to screen out the dust. Any ideas?

Regards

Spliney
AnswerID: 173381

Reply By: Rocky_QLD - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 19:54

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 19:54
Hi wil
we have a 50lt chestcold on the daw bar of our ct in a custom aluminium box, sits on a fridge slide for access. box has vent in the rear that can be closed in dusty conditions anda vent underneath with an aiir filter covering that vent. sitting above the chimney is one of those whirly vent things that remove air, works a treat and no extra draw from battery
AnswerID: 173401

Follow Up By: spliney - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 06:25

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 06:25
Rocky

What did you use as your "air filter covering that vent"?

Spliney
FollowupID: 429418

Follow Up By: Rocky_QLD - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 12:58

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 12:58
just an el cheapo from superelcheapo
FollowupID: 429655

Sponsored Links