Half Cargo Barrier for Black Widow

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:07
ThreadID: 34002 Views:4008 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. A few weeks ago I purchased a 100s wing kit and half cargo barrier to swap my BW draws from a GU. Black Widow said the Patrol barrier would not fit so that is why I bought a 100s one for $390! I put the draws in last weekend (did it myself this time with loctite beacuse when I removed it from the GU 1/3 of all the bolts were loose!) and the LH wing kit fits but the RH kit is over 50mm too wide and the contours are absolutely wrong! Cranky!!! Can anyone tell me if toyota changed the contour of the RH side with the September 05 upgrage (I see there are now 2 cupholders on the RH side)? I then put th 100s cargo barrier on top of the patrol one and the 100s barrier is about 20mm bigger all around than the patrol one but the mounts looked so similar. I thought i'd have a go at mounting the patrol barrier in the cruiser and all I had to do was put a slight bend in the top mounts and they lined straight up with the hand grip bolt holes. I used the spaces I used in the nissan and put an extra 4 washers to space it out a bit more with 6mmx50mm High Tensile bolts.

There was no info plate on the patrol barrier but the toyota one said that it should not be fitted to any other vehicle as it may affect the rating and liability. I called the place I bought it off and said I needed a wing kit that fitted and wanted to return the barrier. They resonded with 'we don't accept returns unless they are faulty' and 'you are not allowed to fit a patrol barrier to a toyota - its the same as bullbars'. I thought what crap - bbars affect air-bags so I understand they are vehicle specific but a cargo barrier is a piece of metal the stops stuff from flying forward and it mounts almost identical to how it did in the patrol.

Can anyone comment on whether I should install the 100s barrier and have a $400 patrol barrier sitting in the corner or is it ok to have the patrol barrier mounted and try to get a refund on the 100s barrier? What happens if there is an accident? There is no info plate on the barrier and it looks like it is designed for that vehicle so I couldn't image any probs???
thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:28

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:28
for what it;s worth IMHO.. if there is an accident and the barrier is called into use and fails, you dont have a leg to stand on regardless which one you instal l becuase they need to be fitted by a certified installer becuase it is a safety device. I think thats probbaly why the agent who sold you the new one is resisting the refund.. although I am pretty sure that if there is no damage to it there should be no reason why you can ttkae it back (dont quote me on that s I have no "proof" that they must) I would put that in the category of just plain good service.. especially if you bought it on their advice.. I would take it back and not leave the store until they have given you your money back.. Good luck
AnswerID: 173347

Follow Up By: H2O - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:38

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:38
Coyote,
Yep I think you are right. I just called the shop and they will not accept it back unless it is faulty (trying to say I couldn't mount the Nissan one but I told him it was my choice)... so I said does that mean I can return the wing kit and barrier because the wing kit is faulty and doesn't fit????? He said but we are going to send you correct wing kit to correct the problem so no... So I said it's this a two way street - they want it 100% their way. Apparently I did not tell them it had rear air-con - I told them it was a brand new 100s and since sept they have had rear air-con - that is their fault. And I gave them 2wks to have it ready and when I turned up they did not have the cargo barrier fixing kit for me...... Not a place I will be shopping at again!!! CRANKY!!!
FollowupID: 429237

Follow Up By: H2O - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 16:02

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 16:02
Have just been in contact with Black Widow and they are more than happy to take the barrier back. I was very impressed with the response I got back from them - It's just that one shop..... phew!
FollowupID: 429275

Sponsored Links