Mitchell Falls

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 23:14
ThreadID: 34025 Views:1483 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have just checked the road conditons on this site for Mitchell Falls it is saying that it is now open. Kununurra Visitors Centre have it as still closed. Can anyone clarify this information for us.
Also this site it saying that the spring creek track into the Bungle Bungles is closed however Kununurra Visitors Centre has it as open.
Hoping to hit the Gibb River Road on Saturday so any information would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 00:14

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 00:14
I don't think it is, there is suposed to be a chain across from Drysdale Stn & thats as far as you can get. But Anne might know more.
AnswerID: 173457

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:33

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:33
Last we heard up here was that it was still closed from Drysdale st,that was last weekend though.
AnswerID: 173610

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:51

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:51
The Kalumburu Road has been open from the junction of the GR road to Drysdale since Mon the 8 th May.
Yes there is a chain accross the road near here which blocks access North.
The present plan is to open the Kalumburu Road as far North as the Mitchell Plateau turn off on Monday 22 nd May. The grader is presently working on some wash outs in this section that would force you to take to the bush. I guess it will depend if they manage to get the work done by Monday as per plan.
The King Edward River crossing is still deep and probably not suitable for some of the smaller vehicles. I gather there are a couple of holes in the crossing so it should be checked before the decision is made to cross it.
At the end of the day it is up to you if you feel comfortable with the depth etc. There are wash outs on the Mitchell plateau track as well & a few fallen trees are currently being removed.
It will be proceed with care even if they do open it.
cheers, Anne

AnswerID: 173614

Follow Up By: Sara&Mark - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 23:31

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 23:31
Thanx Anne we have decided to reverse our trip and will probably not be in the area for another 11 days so hopefully the roads will be in a bit better condition we have been hearing a lot of conflicting reports about the road.
Thanks Sara & Mark
FollowupID: 429624

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)