2.5hp 40 litre Air Compressor

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 23:26
ThreadID: 34026 Views:24978 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just looking at this advertised in K-Mart mag. Arlec includes 10 piece accessory kit, listed as a "starter" kit, automatic reel, 8 metre hose - Price $189. I have been looking at similar at Bunnings and other places. Does anyone have experience or do you use one - how good are they - is there anyting to look out for. They have a 2 year warranty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 05:44

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 05:44
Hi Trekkie,
I used to be in the tool business (similar to what snap on does today). In the time i was selling arlec products, I had a return rate of over 70% faulty. Thats over a peroid of 3 months from sale date. Although they would repair OR replace faulty items. It got to the stage where i was sick and tired of having to take faulty items back all the time. So eventually i closed the account and just stopped selling the stuff. My customers were regular ones and i didnt want to loose them to a product that just didnt last.
Even to this day i still buy stuff from bummings for home and the outdoor sensor lights they sell are crap. I bought 3 and all 3 have sopped working properly after a few months. Although i have had a battery charger for 15 years now that works fine so go figure thatone out.
Cheaply made and just not reliable at all.

Just from expierence
Ange.
AnswerID: 173468

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:30

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:30
What Ange said!!!!!!

Even down to the battery charger............I don't use it anymore, cos I've got 2 x 3 stage units; but it still working okay after about 24 years. Everything else from Arlec that I've ever owned has been total manure!!!!
FollowupID: 429432

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:17

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:17
Hi Trekki,
I bought a $99 (GMC) compressor from Bunnings 9 months ago and have been using it ever since. I've been using it mostly for my nail guns and occasionally to pump up a tyre or two. Forget using it for running air powered drills - that's just not going to happen, but it will run a framing nailer providing you don't try banging in hundreds of nails in one hit because it only kicks back in at 70 PSI which is too low to bang in nails into hardwood. I don't know how it would go with a spray gun. Mine has not missed a beat and I reckon if it konks out now then its earned its money already, beside, it came with a 2 year warranty. I would much rather use my bigger compressor but its too far away from the job and very heavy to move around and needs a dedicated 15 amp switch and wiring. The little one can be lugged up and down stairs and uses a normal power point to plug in to.

Tom
AnswerID: 173485

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:15

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:15
I have a gmc unit also, and have given it a flogging, and its still ok. you can wind up the switch on mine to make it kick in a bit earlier. I bought it as a stop gap. It sprays paint (automotive and cabinet makeing) quite well. Used it to spray laminex glue, didn't go to well until I hooked it up to my old stuffed compressor wich gave it a very large storage capacity. I have had a few large compressors (well, from a carpentors perspective anyway), and if I was to set up a workshop again, I wouldnt hesitate to get about 3 of these and hook them up together. they could power a fairly large workshop, and when going out into the field, just unhook one and take it with you.

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 429596

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:11

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:11
Yep mine (GMC) had just come out of warranty (2 years) and you guessed it, it spilled it's guts all over the garage floor. Oil bleep out from god knows where all over the place.

I figured, oh well, what the hey, I've absolutally flogged it to death using rattle guns, air ratchets, air chissels, degreeser gun, pumping up tyres and the real killer, washing mine and my mates 4bys reguarly with the staun pressure washer attachment. The poor old thing has just been worked into the ground! Sometimes it runs non-stop for hours at a time.

I was just about ready to go and buy another one for $99 and thought to myself, bugger it, I'll just throw a spanner at it and tighten up all the head bolts. Yep, 2 minutes later and she was good as gold again, has been for about 2 months!

I'd Highly recommend them. Actually my mate and I were toying with the idea of buying a big truck tank or two and mounting them up on the garage walls, just hook them in series with the existing tank and you'd have enough air to run just about anything for a reasonable amount of time.

The beuty about only having a 24L tank is it charges back up to full pressure very quickly, which is good when you're using the rattle gun or air ratchet. If you're struggling with a bugger of a bolt, you just wait 30 seconds and she's back up to 120psi and you're ready to hammer back into it again!
FollowupID: 429690

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 23:47

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 23:47
Gday Jeff

Is the massojet with the air assist any good - I have a compressor obviously, and unlimited water. Is it a good thing?

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 429696

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:46

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:46
Yeah it's good. It's nothing like a purpose built pressure washer though as it's still only 120psi at best. But it is good, I'm very happy with it. Personally the thing that kicks but is the "U" bend attachment. It's worth buying it just for that, you'll be absolutally STUNNED with the amount of crap that comes washing off the undernearth of even a "clean" car.
FollowupID: 429726

Reply By: traveller2 - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:17

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:17
Only ever bought one Arlec tool, a 100mm angle grinder, didn't even wear the corner off the supplied grinding disc before it caught fire and blew the fuse.
I didn't realise it had caught fire as I was grinding until my son banged me on the back to point to the smoke pouring out the end.
When I took it back to Kmart they insisted on plugging it in to 'test' it before giving me my money back despite the scorch marks on the end of it.
Was really funny as it blacked out half the store when he turned it on.
I've had a goodrun with GMC stuff, 2 year replacement wty too.
AnswerID: 173486

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:33

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:33
>>>>Was really funny as it blacked out half the store when he turned it on. <<<<

RAOFLMAO.............hahahaha
FollowupID: 429433

Follow Up By: crewser - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:44

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 08:44
I took one of those cheap grinders back to supercheap, when the young lady behind the counter pluged it in to check it I said hang on before she tried it then I hide behind the counter, the look on her face was priceless, she unpluged it and put it back in the box. ha ha
FollowupID: 429434

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:52

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:52
Yeah I gotta say, I'll swear by the GMC stuff now days. All my air tools are GMC, my sander, my grinder, air compressor. Good stuff hey. When my Firestorm 18v Cordless packed it in (very dissapointing), I bought an Ozito drill thinking that seeings as the GMC gear was so good, this must be similar. Nope. The biggest peice of crap I every laid my hands on. I took it back and exchanged it for a 24V GMC cordless drill. Holly crap, that thing can drill sideways through brick!! Closest thing to a cordless rotary you'll ever get I reckon.

My GMC grinders been abused to the crapper doing all sorts of dumb ass typical lazy aussie bloke crap. I once cut through a tow bar toung with a grinding disk because my cutting disk was rooted. Took a while, but it did it! LOL!
FollowupID: 429727

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 10:36

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 10:36
The old adage you pay for what you get. I've been bitten by the cheap product beast before...now I won' go near them.

Had a GMC generator that gave up after 12 hrs of work.

But having said that I've had Arlec battery charger for 15 years and GMC power tools that have been worked hard for 6 years.

My wife rang me about the compressordeal at KMart. Unless it is belt drive I'm not intersted as I've heard a some bad press about direct drive and their lifespan especially the cheap brands.

AnswerID: 173504

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 12:51

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 12:51
Bought a very similar looking one from Big W a while back. The first one leaked air out of some valve, was replaced without questions (lugging it into and out of the store was painful) and the second one leaked through the guage. I re-soldered the brass/copper tube inside the guage and it has been fine since. Wouldn't trust it though if I relied on it to make money.

Adrian
AnswerID: 173528

Reply By: John Davies - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 13:03

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 13:03
I've had an arlec cheapie from kmart for about 3 years. Has pumped up the tyres and run the rattle gun whenever I needed it to.
I will say that i only use about once a month and that they are probably only good for home use.

John D
AnswerID: 173529

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 13:15

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 13:15
That's where these cheapies come into their own John. I simply can't justify buying a top shelf compressor when I would use it on average once a month. My scorpion has been going well now for about 3 years - it's also driven the nail gun for aboug 3 km of paling fences in that time as well as a bit of spray painting. At $129 when I bought it .....I'd say pretty good value for money.
FollowupID: 429490

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 13:08

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 13:08
OK so not an Arlec but you'd be hard pressed telling the difference, colour aside... Paid $70 for a 2.5Hp direct drive about 2.5 years ago... Every man and his dog has borrowed it and I've flogged the poor thing to within an inch of it's life... NEVER let me down. Have an Arlec 18V cordless drill which my nana gave me about 18 months ago, still going strong, also been flogged... Have an Arlec circular saw, blew up my Makita and needed one in a hurry, still going strong after about 12 months and 2 pergola's... Even cut up a heap of used railway sleepers with it. And my Arlec battery charger is a hand-me-down from dad, about 15 years old now and works a treat.
AnswerID: 173530

Reply By: russ36 - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 18:38

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 18:38
the name arlec scares me. i bought a red 150 dollar nupower compressor from kmart or bigW and have been giving it a serious trade use flogging with frameing guns for at least 18 months and no oil changes. the guages and regulators on all those cheap compressors need replaceing from day one.....i have also experience with the 80-100 dollar versions from supercheap and suggest that they are likely to provide up to 5 yrs of use in non trade,low air volume applications, occasional use only
AnswerID: 173580

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:43

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:43
Thanks everone for your answers - I think I will stay away from Arlec -
AnswerID: 173616

Reply By: Mark T - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 17:45

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 17:45
My Arlec Compressor has been running for 3 years now. I bought it back when they were $199,

Also have an Arlec battery charger I bought back in 1975. It still gets a flogging all the time and never stops.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 173679

Sponsored Links