Fitted Lovell "2 inch lift"

Submitted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 12:33
ThreadID: 34062 Views:11025 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Well over the last 2 days I have fitted a complete new set of springs and shocks to my 100 series standard. The springs were Lovells Heavy Duty Raised (2 inch). Well after finishing the work - I didn't think I'd get it out of the shed. It actually lifted the front and rear 4 inches!! It actually looks a bit wierd with the original skinny's - I reckon I could fit 38's under the gaurds now. So as a tip for those thinking of fitting the same kit as me unless you carry a HEAP of weight and tow, I'd recommend staying with the standard height HD set (otherwise it will look like mine).

The difference in weight and size of the original springs to the Lovells is amazing. The original springs for the front and rear are both about 15mm diameter but the Lovels are about 20mm for the front and 25mm for the rear. The weight of one Lovells rear spring was about the same as all 4 of the original toyota springs. Now thats heavy duty!!

Fiting was no where near as easy as I predicted. I've done 2 complete leaf suspension changes in my old 75 series utes before but these coils took the cake. Lots of cursing and swearing (which got me no where). My chassis stands were to short to start with and you need to have your wits about you or risk having the vehicle on top of ya (had a few close calls). The hardest part was getting the top nut off the rear shockies (rusted). Flat out getting a spanner onto it and then having to use stilsens to grip the shock and stop it turning.....not fun. Using the coil compressors on the front springs was a pain in the ar#e. Good for the original springs but the thicker and heavier duty springs made life difficult.

After my first short test drive I will definately have to fit a castor correction kit now (out comes the Gregory's manual again). You can easily see the change in angle of the front diff housing. I was also worried that the springs would be too stiff but it rides suprisingly well.

I'm going to Willaim Creek tonight to give it a bit of a trial and see how it handles (and have a few ales). I'll also come back with some photos so I can update my bloody profile.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 13:12

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 13:12
Hughsey,

Over the years, have fitted Lovells springs to an '82 Hilux dual cab, an '84 HJ60 wagon(that one stopped the Kids spewing, on the Putty Road!), and on 2 different 80 series.

Reckon they're ooright, mate.

Also thought the heavy duty weren't too rough either, but only went for standard height on the 80's, in case we wanted to access a car park, while on holidays.

Fitting does tend to bring out the worst in us, eh? @@#$%!!!&^(

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 173652

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 13:14

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 13:14
Thanks Hughesy.

I was contemplating doing same for my 105 HZJ but given you experience the $150 off it costs to get someone else to scrape their knuckles seems worth it.

You will probably find that your old coils have just sagged a tad and that the new ones are 50mm on the original height. They may still settle a bit.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 173653

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:19

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:19
G'Day Andrew,
Well this is a photo of the rig at WC and um let me say that they did'nt settle any noticable amount. What amazed me was the ride was awesome. I was really expecting it to be very hard and rigid but it was a dream. So much more comfy than when I did it in my old 75 Series 2 years ago. So for the moment I'm going to stick with the current setup. I seriously thought about swapping to the standard height springs and the shop in Adelaide where I bought them was going to do a swap.
FollowupID: 429847

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:24

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:24
no steps though ... hopefully your PAX have long legs - and you too for that matter!
FollowupID: 429868

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:39

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:39
Thanks Hughesy.

I'm thinking of fitting Lovells to a 120 Series Prado to achieve a two inch lift.

Would you let us know how much the springs settle after your trip to William Creek?

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 173705

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:10

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:10
George_M
If you want measurements for a 120 Prado lift go to my site as I have all the measurements there.
www.lonards-automotives.com.au/prado.html
I have all the before and after heights as well as after fitting accessories including steel bar, winch, dual batteries, _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, roof rack and water tank.
I have the settled height as well.
I hope this helps.
120scruiser
FollowupID: 429689

Follow Up By: George_M - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 08:17

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 08:17
Thanks mate - much appreciated!

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 429719

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:21

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:21
Hi George,

I 'll actually get the tape out tomorrow (when I've unloaded it) and see what the difference is from staright after doing the change. Must say the ride is pretty bloody good. Just need the castor correction kit so that it steers a bit better.
FollowupID: 429849

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:00

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:00
George,

With full fuel and nothing else inside the front is 60.5cm from centre of hub to edge of wheel gaurd (measured vertically above) and the rear is 65cm on the D/S and 64cm on the passenger side. The rear drivers side spring is actually about 15-20mm higher than the PS. The front have settled about 0.5cm since fitting and the rear nothing. This compares to 51cm front and 55cm rear with the original springs.
FollowupID: 429947

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:12

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:12
Hey Hughesy,

Thinking of doing the same work to my 80 Series. Can I just ask what shocks you used? Thanks!

Scoey!
AnswerID: 173927

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:05

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:05
Yeah Scoey they are "Ultra Ride Shocks". I bought them from the same Lovells dealer in Adelaide and he said that they are designed by some Aust shockie Guru and then made by a shockie company. They are 41cm and have a 5yr/100k km warrenty which is 3 years longer than the Lovell shock warranty and why the bloke said he recommends them to everyone. I was sceptical at first (having never heard of them) but they look very well made and with a warranty like that I can't complain. Have a look at the response above outlining the change in height I got after fitting.
FollowupID: 429948

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:36

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:36
Thanks for the info Hughesy, I'll have a look for the shockers. The Lovells dealer I spoke to recommended the lovells shocks @ $100/corner or EFS @ $126/corner. Like you said given the warranty difference and the ride they sound like a good shockl Thanks for the info again!

Cheers
Scoey.
FollowupID: 429957

Sponsored Links