4 Runner sway bars

Submitted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 17:24
ThreadID: 34068 Views:1676 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Guys
I am heading off for a 2 day trip next weekend, I want to remove the sway bars to get some extra articulation. I have a 2" OME lift. Can anyone advise what it would be like to drive on the road without the swaybars? Or should I just take em off when I get to the destination?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 19:43

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 19:43
Ok, for a start don't bother with the front swaybar as the IFS is going to limit the articulation more than the sway bar ever could, and I've head the surf's/4runners don't handle so good on the highway without the front swaybar. I've trimmed my front bump stops right back and still manage to hit them at "full drop" with my swaybar and stock shocks.

Regarding the back, I've had mine removed for a couple of years now and with all of my rear end suspension mod's it handles just as good if not better than it did in stock form with the sway bar. The only difference now is that with the Rancho 9909's I get so much travel I had to use industrial cable ties to hold the springs in and the drive shaft hits the fuel take making a rather distrubing noise when I'm at full drop. :-)

If you are running standard length shocks on the rear, removing the sway bar won't really give you any advantage as the standard shocks are to short to give any decent flexing anyway, if the shocks are long travel, rip it off, it'll handle just fine.!MPG:14!
AnswerID: 173700

Reply By: 944runner - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 14:42

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 14:42
Well thanks for all the responses guys, I guess I will be leaving them on.
Just ran a quick test and get no extra articulation with them removed, guess the shocks are being maxed.

Cheers for all the help and suggestions anyway
AnswerID: 174450

Sponsored Links