how do you know when long travel shocks are needed?

Submitted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 19:55
ThreadID: 34074 Views:1740 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Have just put the heavy OME rear springs under a 60 seris and the driver side spring is a bit taller than passenger side one and noticed when fitting shock (only on the taller soring) with the spring at its full un compressed position, the shock was about 20mm short of travel.
is this a problem?
running Koni shocks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 23:02

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 23:02
Hi GN

from your post, my guess is that your measurements are taken in a slack' 'position. the important thing as far as i'm aware is that the shock still has a little mmovement left when th suspension is fully compressed, so that the shockie doesn't bottom out and take all of the load. I think the 60 series is a coil jobbie, so this should correspond with the bumpstops cpping the abuse. I'm not sure on the leangth extended though, but I guess it shouldn't bang out on the extension either

Hope this helps, and helps with a bit more advise from others - please correct me if I'm misguided

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 173719

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 00:10

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 00:10
I am fairly sure that my ranchos on the front run out of travel before the suspension is at full drop I think thay are 10mm to short and I have had no adverse affects yet.

Yet being the operative word.
FollowupID: 429702

Follow Up By: conman - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:34

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:34
otherwise the spring would fall out at full articulation, no?
FollowupID: 429891

Reply By: Member - Barry C (NT) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 00:28

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 00:28
Yes you are likely to have problems IF you are off road and drive agressively and unload the suspension to full travel,, OR inadvertantly unload the suspension accidentally (it happens). The shocky then takes all the stress and load of the suspension hanging down. 20mm is significant.

If 100% highway use you may get away with it.

This is one of those things you find out when it fails and the shocky could be left dangling in your suspension if either the top or bottom mount is broken,,, is it worth that risk????

Barry
AnswerID: 173728

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 00:31

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 00:31
An 80 I travelled with to Cape York 2 years back had "short Shockies" in the fornt. No problem till it hit the relentless corrugations on the main drag on the way south.

Then spent 2 hours in the dark trying to get it so we could drive it to Weipa to get fixed. My advise is to get shockies that can cope with the atriculation that the suspension has. You are a potential problem otherwise.
AnswerID: 173729

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 06:04

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 06:04
hi @H
thanks for that i will do some investigation.
i would of though if you make a shocky that can extend longer then it would be unable to compress as short? just like a hydraulic ram type thing?
i will throw it at ARB on mon and see what they say, i should use their product i guess as then it cannot be blamed on other brand components if it fails.
i am super impressed with the Koni shocks though and would rather leave them if i could.
GN
FollowupID: 429706

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:30

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:30
GN, give Koni a ring & tell them the size shocks you are currently running & the model of the car. They will tell you for sure. ARB probably wouldn't have a clue but will sell you a new set of OME shocks anyway;-) On some cars the shocks are designed to stop the springs over extending, not sure on the 60 series. Normally a slightly longer shock can be installed but allowance needs to be made for the full compression of the spring plus the bump stop otherwise you'll blow the foot valve out.
Cheers Craig..........
Koni's
FollowupID: 429835

Sponsored Links