Biggest LPG tank for new Hilux???

Submitted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:05
ThreadID: 34076 Views:3565 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I hope there may be someone out there who knows the largest LPG cylinder that can be fitted to the current (new) hilux extracab diesel.
By removing the spare wheel from under the chassis, a 50 litre (usable) tank can be fitted across the vehicle. However, I was hoping to fit a similar capacity cylinder running length ways opposite the current diesel tank; I don't want to shift the spare.
I have been advised by an LPG fitter that 35 litres usable is the largest that can be fitted in that position without reducing current ground clearances. But with an outback tour planned in a couple of months, I am concerned about limited availability of LPG reducing my extended range.
As some of you may know, diesel/gas systems use about a 70/30 ratio and in many remote areas LPG may only be available every 2nd or 3rd fill.
Anybody been down this path before???
Sheps
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:58

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:58
Is it that much of a problem, Sure you will lose some power and economy by running strait diesel but it’s not going to stop you from getting in and out of a destination.

I would just ditch the tyre and let it ride in the tray and fit the 50Ltr gas tank, lets be honest the tyre is in a C**T of a spot anyway, mine is in that same position under the car and wile it is out of the way if you need to get it out it’s a little annoying and it gets coved in mud, dust and road Chit.

You don’t really what a gas tank hanging down low in-between the 2 axels where there is a possibility of it collecting a rock in the Ruff stuff at least up the back it’s reasonably tucked away That's IMO anyway.
AnswerID: 173706

Follow Up By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 21:29

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 21:29
Thanks for your thoughts Eploder. I already carry an extra spare so have to rely on the original spare location. With the canopy on the tray always chockers with gear, I was hoping to avoid trying to fit in an 2nd wheel/tyre.
Moreover, I prefer the extra weight between the axles rather than hanging out back, particularly when towing the CT.
Cheers,
Sheps
FollowupID: 429687

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:54

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:54
As a guess you are about to fit the diesel gas system. I am contemplating the same on the GU at the momint. I was initially concerned that the 30 odd litre tank was small. It is enough for the diesel I can carry in the std tanks, and would increase the range by about 350+ km by their calculations. I queried them about a larger tank so when I go more remote I can totally utilise the system. The main response I got, and I was convinced also, was that I didn't need it.

Basically, if you go the bigger gas tank, It either hangs lower or impedes your luggage space. It's rare that you have to go more than about 1000km between fuel, so if you manage your gas use, maybe run on strait diesel between a couple of lpg deficient fuel stops to maximise range on the critical leg of the trip, You souldn't have a problem with the small tank

This doesn't really give you the answer you are looking for with the larger tank, but I am very stubbourn and I was talked around the need for a large tank. I also have been convinced (to a certain extent anyway) that carrieing a large volume of fuel on an outback trip to try to avoid expensive remote fuel stops is generally bad economics. You carry and extra 150 odd kg, loose some load space and/or coff up for the tanks/jerrycans to save say $50c per litre.....maybe $100.00. (On possibly more than one trip!) meanwhile you have less carrying capacity for more essintial items (Beer) and load p your vehicle putting more strain on vehicle components.

Sorry about babbling on, but I have looked into this quite a bit, and damaged components on a vehicle and modifications to deal with the extra weight generally are a false economy in my view

Hope the lpg inj. goes well for you, I wish I could get it for my vehicle now.

Cheers Andrew.

PS - I wonder if the service stations will get used to people filling up with diesel, and then driving over to the lpg to fill up. it will be a pain to have to pay between bousers to stop them thinking you are doing a runner, they quite often arc up when you move away from the only diesel bowser they have so the next bloke can get some juice!
AnswerID: 173717

Follow Up By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 08:00

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 08:00
All good points Andrew and I agree any extra fuel carried should be for extended range only, not trying to avoid a few cents a litre. How can you predict what the next servo is going to charge anyway; you could load up with extra fuel and find it cheaper at the next stop.
As to filling with 2 fuel types, I guess you need to advise the attendant of what you will be doing prior to filling.
Thanks for the input.
Sheps
FollowupID: 429713

Reply By: russ36 - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 06:08

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 06:08
a bit off topic but i have had gas /petrol engines b4 and am reluctant to go down that road again because....1...at the moment the gas price is attractive because of its ratio to petrol. but that ratio changes often to the point where people with gas installations start filling up with petrol instead......2..even with tougher engines supposed to be more tolerant of lpg, it is alot harder on the valves and i ended up with a pinging sound and an expensive repair...3....my warranty conditions necessitated from memory services on the lpg system every 5 or 10 thousand k's....4...i was told to run petrol often to prevent engine damage....this all brings the economics of gas into question?....i have no experience with deisel/gas systems.....perhaps people with newer or current lpg conversions can comment on improvements, particularly in relation to stress on engines....on the subject of the 35 litre tank...i agree with the concerns of the original poster...a fully laden 4wd will go thru a tank that size real quick
AnswerID: 173734

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 08:54

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 08:54
I have seen long tanks - from memory 25l tanks running down along the sides of a 100 Series converted to Diesel/Gas - not sure if you could do the same - these were long thin tanks.
AnswerID: 173743

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 14:26

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 14:26
They are 35l tanks, had two of them fitted to an old 100 series.
FollowupID: 429743

Sponsored Links