Should I connect new stereo to auxiliary battery

Submitted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:24
ThreadID: 34086 Views:2420 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1991 toyota 1hz troop carrier with professionally installed isolated dual battery system. I've just purchased a new stereo to replace the tuner/tape player stereo I previously installed a few years ago which runs off main battery and acc circuit (as per standard) with no problems.

The new stereo is nothing fancy and will be installed as is. Its just a pretty ordinary CD/tuner with USB drive input (the USB is why I got it - so we can carry all our music without needing tapes, cds, etc - and no moving parts to play music). There are no additional amplifiers or anything like that.

I have two questions:

First, is it worth considering connecting the new stereo to the auxiliary battery so I can run it with the engine off without risking draining the main battery (rather than simply, and far more easily, switching the units over without having to do any changes to existing wiring)?

Second, if I did attach the tuner to the auxiliary battery is it ok to simply connect both the constant power (yellow) and the acc power (red) wires to the auxiliary power (i.e. splice both to the same (fused) hot wire)?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:40

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 10:40
I would!
My stereo is connected to my main battery and I am forever getting up and checking it to make sure I havent drained it. I ll be swapping mine over to the auxillary battery soon.
Also I cant see a problem with joining those two wires you suggested as long as they are fused.

Cheers
AnswerID: 173761

Reply By: Member - John L G - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:15

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:15
No reason why you shouldn't wire it direct to the battery, however I'm not sure why you wouldn't just rewire as per the original off the Acc on the ignition. At least that way when its time to turn in for the night and you shut down the vehicle, you can be sure everything, bar perhaps the fridge, is isloated with no unpleasant surprises in the morning.

It will also be drawing power from the battery of your choosing rather than a single source depending on your battery set up.

As to the two wires, power and auxilliary, it will be fine to connect both to a positive. The auxillary is to obviopusly allow power to switch the unit on and off whilst the red provides the actual running power for the unit and also maintains all the station, volume etc etc presets that you have programmed into the unit. As per usual they should incorporate a fuse in the line.

I am a great believer in being able to totally isolate the battery supply from any or all things that require electical power. If then an appliance shorts, fuses fail, battery has a meltdown etc etc and an electrical fire gets under way, there a few chances of terminating the feed if you are surrounded by flames. I have seen a vehicle go up like this with the battery providing the current to fuel a faulty installation. What we forget is that once the insulation is melted off the wiring, fused or not, those wires can contact the body finding an earth and then all hell breaks loose.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 173763

Reply By: Skid - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 12:18

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 12:18
Just put a simple switch on the dash to turn off the power to the red wire which goes to aux battery.
Done this for years without problem on troopie & able to use stereo without leaving keys in ignition - safety/security issue?
AnswerID: 173770

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 17:42

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 17:42
Rick troopie

What brand of Radio is it, I got one with USB and a SD card slot , "US Audio" and it is real handy for playing MP3s and WMAs but just the last 3 days it keeps shutting down , I rewired it from a different source and a new earth but same thing this morning it went for about 3 minutes and off it went and could not get it on again so it's in for a warranty .As for using the 2nd battery well it won't shut down every time you start the car, just have to turn it of manually
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173810

Follow Up By: Rick troopie - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:18

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:18
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. The stereo is 'Audiowave' brand, which I purchased new from a store on eBay ( click to go there, they have a lot of interesting gadgets at reasonable prices).

I haven't received it yet, so I'm still in the early honeymoon phase in terms of my performance expectations. The same seller has been selling a lot of these without evidence of any negative feedback, so I figured the risk of disappointment was relatively low. If I experience similar problems I'll let you know.
Rick
FollowupID: 429867

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:47

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:47
Yeah great idea, I did that with mine. Most people don't realise but a reasonable stereo can draw more than your fridge! Mine _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx about 5-6 amps when it's turned up at a reasonable volume. Enough to flattern your starter quite easily if you leave it going all day.

Yes, you can connect both the power wires together no problem.

What I did to get "the best of both worlds" was connected the Direct Battery connection to the auxilary battery (so it runs off the aux all the time) but still connected the ignition power to the normal ignition connection. I just run it through a two way switch first so I can run it like a normal stereo round town, but at the flick of a switch it runs without the keys in the ignition off the aux. Simple as to do and well worth it IMHO.
AnswerID: 173874

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:04

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:04
struth 5 or 6 amps would be enough to make me very grumpy especially if it's going all day.
FollowupID: 429842

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:07

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:07
That's at about 50% volume with factory speakers, it's really not that loud. Besides, you'd never here it, cos if you or anyone else were within coo-ee of me I'd be goin somewhere else ;-)
FollowupID: 429844

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:31

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:31
Rick
I had a look at the radio webpage and yeh it looks better than mine with the colors, mine is just a vert pale grey and damn impossible to read with too much light on it ,It will do until a better brand comes available as soon they will all be putting USB and SD slots on or people won't buy a radio without, After owning one I would'nt, was told yesterday that JVC is coming but does not have SD card and i like the SDcard better than USB as it don't protrude so much.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173905

Sponsored Links