Cracked Diff Update

Submitted: Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:53
ThreadID: 34112 Views:2005 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Repaired the crack in the diff housing last week.

After many attempts to just weld in the crack, this time I welded plates over the cracks.

I had to go to Braidwood on the weekend to instruct a Advance Driver Training Course so the vehicle got a bit of a work out in low range and hill climbs.

Checked under the diff this morning and all is dry.

Hopefully it will stay that way for the big trips that are on over the next few months.

Thank you to ever one for there tips on how to fix the problem.

I do have a theory on why the diff housing cracked in the first place.

I have up till now, when jacking the vehicle up was to place the trolley jack under the diff housing. This meant that when the vehicle was lifted up all the weight was on the centre of the diff housing and it must of flexed. This would have caused the diff housing to crack.

In future I will only jack form one side of the vehicle at a time and place the diff housing on jack stand near the springs.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flash - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:19

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:19
Yeh maybe Wayne.
But I've been jackng every type of vehicle by doing just that (ie: putting a trolley jack under the diff housing) for the last 40 odd years and never had a problem.....
AnswerID: 173929

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:31

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:31
Flash,

I also have been jacking vehicles this way.
I think with the weight of the vehicle being on the ends of the diff housing and the jack in the middle there has to be a lot of strain on the diff housing.

I may be wrong, but it was just a theory.

Wayne
FollowupID: 429889

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:29

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:29
Must keep an eye on the tyre fitters next time because they jack from center so as to raise both wheels, uh uh ...one at a time please
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173931

Reply By: warthog - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:39

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:39
Our gu patrol also cracked its diff housing. My theory is that newer vehicles are p-weak.
AnswerID: 173954

Sponsored Links