garmin legend 55h lat/log read-out issues

Submitted: Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:40
ThreadID: 34126 Views:1898 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i've bought the etrex legend & aust. metroguied software, & having a few problems.
i cant get the display readout to match the maps i am using.
i have gone thru the setup process & all is correct, map datum is correct (agd66), position format is hddd,mm,ss.s, the map i am using are vicmap 1:25 000 toolangi 7922-1-1 zone 55 (or 55h).
i have been told me that garmin dont offer a setting for zone 55 (or 55h) maps & a manual calculation for adjustment is reqd, is ths true ?? can anyone help ???
if so what is it & can i load it in to the user defined option??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:51

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:51
Hello - dont have the gadget/software or map you are referring to so can only make a general comment which applies to all GPS units/mapping software - if you are using Lat and Long coordinates you do not need to specify the Zone. You will only need to specify the zone if you were using UTM coordinates i.e. metres.

Suspect your problem relates to a mismatch of datums..though you dont say how much the readout varies from the map.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173958

Reply By: agsmky - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:25

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:25
Do these map have latitude/longitude on them as their grid as such, or should you be using UTM for your units??

If you have selected the correct position format then......

Mexicans use/d the VicGrid94 for their map projections for specific mapping requirements.....this sounds like one of them. Navigate to the www.lands.vic.gov.au website (when will the Vic government learn that their website addressing system is bleep ed) to "Home > Professions > Spatial > Vicmap Products > Datums and Co-ordinate Systems" and download the pdf for some light bedtime reading.

Alternatively, either download the conversion program (not the most friendly program to use) from the same website (easier to search for "GDA Useful Tools"). BTW programs such as Oziexplorer have this projection built in as a standard Map Projection.

Andrew
AnswerID: 173996

Follow Up By: smannixx - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:05

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:05
andrew,
you were spot on thanx for the help !!!
conversion program worked a treat, (but may invest in the oziexplore to make life eaiser in the future) thanx again....

cheers stef.
FollowupID: 431069

Sponsored Links