Height of 80 Series? saggy bits... :-(

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 08:07
ThreadID: 34160 Views:2235 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I'm trying to find out how saggy my bits are so that I can work out exactly what to do to fix this! Fair enough? I thought so! ;-) I own a '94 GXL 80 Series 1FZ-FE with next to no accesories other than an alloy TJM bullbar and Hayman Reece towpack to add undue weight to her running standard height suspension that is pretty shot. I'm currently tossing up whether to go for:

* a 2" lift - just springs, shocks and castor correction; or
* a 3-4" lift - springs, shocks, castor correction, extended brake lines and maybe panhards etc.

See the thing is this... Is a 2" lift over standard height going to efectively give me with my saggy bits a 3" lift over what I currently have? get me? So my question (finally! I hear you say!) can someone with a standard height 80 GXL (with nice new and firm bits) measure from the centre of the hub to the top of wheel arch on the front and rear so I can see how saggy I actually am?? Currently my front measures approx 50cm front and rear - but i have to measure it more accurately this arvo!

Thanks for reading anyway, ANY thoughts appreciated! ;-))
Scoey.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 09:08

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 09:08
we did the 2'' front and 3'' back gotta do that castor kit 0 braking is @#!%ing dangerous!!!

we were saggy but not heaps...the back end looks no diff....maybe cos of the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and spare tyre on roof......

lb
AnswerID: 174157

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:01

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:01
Yeah, I have a feeling that I'm really saggy! I will eventually be carrying a bit of gear but I'm not at the moment. Thanks for the info Laura.

Scoey
FollowupID: 430144

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:08

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:08
Scoey, don't have the right vehicle to get the figures but I can tell you that when your springs start to get saggy they may go downhill fast. One symptom of this is a tendency for the vehicle to "wobble" when it hits any bump. This leads to not feeling comfortable driving over around 80K. Basically you're uncomfortable because it's dangerous !
My point is to get it done sooer rather than later.
AnswerID: 174169

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:47

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:47
Yeah, that's my intention - to get it done soon! The truck's driving pretty much how you said. She's pretty wobbly! Geez, saggy and wobbly, but I still love her to death! :-S My god, glad my taste in the fiarer s*x is a lot better! haha!

Cheers for the info footy! ;-)
Scoey!
FollowupID: 430159

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:14

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:14
Scoey , according to Lcool [landcruiser website] you wont need castor correction for a 2" lift ,,I put new standard height coils and shocks on our 80 series gxl turbo diesel just prior to last xmas ,vehicle height jumped up by almost 2" [would not fit into our garage untill I removed roof racks] ,, front measure is now 520mm drivers side , 524mm front passenger side , 560mm drivers side rear and 562mm passenger side rear with nill load [empty drawer unit] and only 5 psi in Firestone airbags.
AnswerID: 174170

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:51

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:51
Geez so it would seem that I probably have up to 20mm sag in the front and anywhere up to 60mm sag in the rear!?!? Bringing it back up to standard height would be a decent lift!!! Might just go the 2" raised coils!

With the castor kit, if I go the 2" option, I was gonna lift, see how it drives etc then do the castors if required so we'll see how we go!

Thanks a lot for the measurements Alloy!! Much appreciated!
Scoey!
FollowupID: 430162

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:28

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:28
we wont be towing so all our gear is shoved in the back of the car and on top....we didnt measure ours before and after but i an see the diff every now and then....the car yard had to put new front shocks in when we bought it (then we replaced them and sold the old ones!!HAHAHAH!!) and i cannt really tell the diff between then and now with the 2'' in the front.......when i replyed earlier i was in a rush so couldnt do too much typing......when we are loaded up now the back end hardly moves....

hope this helps a little more again Scoey...

laura b
AnswerID: 174196

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:52

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:52
haha! Yeah it does Laura, cheers for the re-post! ;-)

Scoey!
FollowupID: 430183

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:01

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:01
Hey Scoey!

Missed you on Saturday mate...

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 174209

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:06

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:06
Hey Jo,

Yeah I know, as per bloody usual, I couldn't make it. I kinda feel a bit pathetic bailing on all these gatherings too - I mean you wouldn't think it'd be that hard to get along to one of them, yet here we are! haha! I read the report from Trevor and it sounded like you all had a deadset ball and it looks as though we have quite a good little SE QLD contingent here! :-D Awesome! Glad to hear you and Mark got along, after your setback it would be good therapy to get out amongst it on the weekend! Hope all is well!

Cheers
Scoey! :-)
FollowupID: 430211

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:35

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:35
Hey Scoey!
It's ok mate.... there's always a next time, and a next time, and next time!!!!!!
Yeh it was good therapy to getaway after the hospitals carry on on the wednesday, he goes in tomorrow now, I have actually just rung the hospital and waiting for someone to ring me back so I can make sure they have got it right this time!
They better look out if we get all they way in there tomorrow and they screw things up again! I will not be the nice Jo that everyone knows me as!!!!
We had a great getaway on the weekend, unfortunately though some 4wding will have to wait just a bit as we need to get new shocks and springs and one of the bumper stops has fallen off(with age, was pretty had it). So will play safe and not do anymore driving until that is all replaced. Well and also that Mark isn't allowed to do any for a bit after surgery because of all the bumping around etc, can't do anything that may shock the kidneys and get them to start bleeding.
Will send an update tomorrow night when we get home from the hospital (hoping that they will let him come home the same day).
Chat soon... I have to get dinner started and get myself organised, I start work at 6 tonight, will finish at 5 tomorrow morning, Mate I will be stuffed cause I won't get any sleep at all after work! then take him into the hospital etc etc. So I will be computer zombie tomorrow night!!!!!
Chat later with you Ross!
Cheers
Jo
FollowupID: 430251

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:35

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:35
yeah exactly! ...and a next time, and the time after that! haha! Well here's hoping all goes well - best of luck.

Cheers
Ross.
FollowupID: 430289

Reply By: FZJ 80 - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:27

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:27
Scoey,

Go the 2 inch lift. Technically over 2 inch in Qld is illegal. I have a 94 80 series petrol, went the 2 inch King springs, Koni shocks combo. Didn't do Caster bushes, drives and brakes very well. Mine was sagged two, so 2 inch lift was probably 3or4 in reality. 2 Inches and 285/75/16 tyres gives an 80 very good off road clearance.

All the best

Greg
AnswerID: 174285

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:30

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:30
Thanks for the info Greg - much appreciated. ALready running the 285/75's so I'm part the way there! :-D The only other concern I had over not correcting castor was abnormal wear on the tires? Any thoughts on this??
Thanks again!
Scoey!
FollowupID: 430465

Follow Up By: Joe King - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:21

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:21
Scoey, I have a GXL TD80 with 285/75/16 Cooper S/T's with the Old Man Emu 2" kit, damper & caster correction, drives great, corners unbelieveabley, fully loaded does not sag at all just handles even better, great clearance and have had no abnormal wear (Tyres are over 2 1/2 years old now around 60k KMs),as far as cars & acc go, 2nd best thing I have ever done, first was buying the 80 in the first place in '99.
hope this helps you out.....
FollowupID: 430801

Sponsored Links