Fans/No. of blades for Patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 08:20
ThreadID: 34161 Views:1958 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
It jas been brought to my attention that I have a crack at the base of one of the blades on my fan in the GU Patrol. I am in need of a new fan so I thought while the opportunity is there I may as well ask the question, Is there one fan that does a better job at drawing the air through the radiator?
I have had drama with overheating so whilst I can go original, I thought if there is another fan with more blades or different angles on the blades to draw more air, I thought I may as well give it a go. Naturally if you ask a salesman/woman, the "xyz brand" of fan that they sell will do the best job. So independant views would be welcomed on this topic.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Regards, Trevor.

PS: I am hoping to keep the original fan hub to keep costs down. If I have to, this could be changed, but It would need a compelling arguement to do this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 08:41

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 08:41
Trevor
I'm no expert on fans but i was just last week in Autobarn at Springwood and noticed they had a quite a few diffent fans of sizes and angles, also what about those electric thermo controlled fans as well
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174150

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 09:35

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 09:35
Have thought about the thermo's before, Doug. But with the offroad application I have been a bit sceptical about their longevity (water and mud in particular worries me).

If I walked into Autobarn with my limited knowledge, I don't think the salesperson could shed any more light on the subject and would end up flogging me something for a morris minor. Hence the post here to see if any mechanically minded person could help me see the light.

Thanks, Trevor.
FollowupID: 430138

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:01

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:01
That's ok Trevor, while on the subject of those thermo fans though, as you probably would realise when I am out on the jobs and away I sleep in the troopie , actually have a damn good bed in it and in the summer and hot and humid nights I use a little chinese made 12v fan so Mr smart Alick decides that the chinese fan is not big enough so away we go to the AutoPro store and get one of those Thermo fans and mount it on the Cargo Barrier behind the drivers head rest so it blows back over the bed , worked fine but along with jet like sound and the gale force wind I made sure the back doors were closed and thought about tying my arms to the barrier , So it's now stashed away under the caravan seats , you might laugh , I wasted $110 on something that was to successful
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174165

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:31

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:31
Doug you might try some sort of step down transformer (I think thats what it is) to slow the sped of the jet fan. A light dimmer switch may work or a vairable wipper switch.
FollowupID: 430151

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:33

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:33
If you're handy with a soldering iron and know a few basics on electronics, then Oatley Electronics had a DC motor speed control kit for about $18. This is a chopper-type control; ie, no heat generated, max efficiency, and would slow the speed of your fan nicely.
Oatley kit K098
cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 430228

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:28

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:28
From memory a Commadore fan fits(carnt remember which model) the GQ,may well fit a GU.Do a search on this site,think thats where I saw it.
AnswerID: 174303

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:21

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:21
Thanks Nick,
Do you know if it increases the ability to cool this motor down or is it just a cheaper altenative to OE Nissan gear?
Either way is still worth chasing even if it's just to save a few bucks and there is nothing else that works more efficiently than that of the Nissan unit.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 430380

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:31

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:31
Not sure on the cooling but heaps cheaper and they dont crack like the nissan ones.The only other mod to fitting one is longer bolts to hold it on as the hub is a couple of mills thicker.
FollowupID: 430385

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:35

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:35
Thank you very much Nick. That about rules out another Nissan one.
FollowupID: 430388

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:37
PostID: 29222
FollowupID: 430392

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:34

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:34
Trevor,

There's a heap of fans on ebay for all sorts of Patrols.....sorry but I can't shed any light as to whether they are interchangeable (eg: GQ 4.2D with GU 4.2TD etc).
AnswerID: 174305

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:25

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:25
Thanks Roachie,

I am interested to see if there is a fan that does a better job to cool the old girl down more than anything (while the opportunity is there) before I go and put another Nissan fan on.
Thanks for the tip about Ebay as I never think of places like this before I go and get ripped by someone local (not always the case but worth keeping them honest ay?).

Cheers mate, Trevor.
FollowupID: 430382

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:56

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:56
BTW......I have added a 14" Davies Craig electric fan to the front of the air con condensor (in addition to the factory one). This replaced a 10" similar fan which I still have in my shed and which still works okay despite having been drowned several times on creek crossings etc. The trick is to NOT have the fan turned on when doing such a crossing and not turning it on until it's had a chance to dry-out. However, it must still get fairly wet when it rains, eh?

I've thought about buying a set of leccy fans (there's a heap on ebay that fit AU Falcons etc), but am not sure if one would fit in between my larger radiator and the pulleys in the front of the motor and/or the bottom radiator hose etc.
FollowupID: 430398

Sponsored Links