Travelling with dogs

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:28
ThreadID: 34177 Views:1771 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone
My hubby and I are considering embarking on a 12 month tour of Oz. The only prob is that we have 2 huskies that we are not prepared to leave behind. Has anyone out there travelled Oz with dogs? If so, have you got any tips, hints, tricks etc to share. We know there will be places where we will have to kennel the dogs while we head off into National Parks etc and that is OK by us but we don't want to leave them behind for 12 months.

Thanks in anticipation
Montemoo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: djpatrol - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 17:09
We travel with our 2 puppies cause they are our family 1 Jack Russell & 1 Foxie where they cant go we DONT,
if Parks dont want us then they dont get our cash, We now do LOTS of Roadies and if towns dont take pets we move onto the next, And dont spend any of our hard earned there, Someone will wake up one day cause there are lots of us out there with pets.
Well I might add some of the Parks these days are so grotty we woudent let our pets stay there anyway.We love our pets.
AnswerID: 174257

Reply By: Member - qld_bushpig - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 17:43

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 17:43
Hi all

We too will be heading off on an extended trip with our little lappy, cross between Jack Russell and Mini staffy. Just the cutestlittle pooch. We will also leave her in kennel when we want to do the NP thing. It is a shame that authorities look on our family pets with such distain. Oh well, one day they may realise that small pets make less trouble then some 2 legged pests.

Bushpig
AnswerID: 174261

Reply By: Ray Bates - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:31

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:31
Don't worry about your dogs. Take them. I have done a number of trips around OZ. I have had to be carefull but have had no trouble finding accomodation for us all. As a perevious writer mentioned, boycot the places where your not welcolm. It is their loss not yours.
It can be a bit difficult during school holidays but other times OK. We also do some free camping which we prefer as the dogs have more freedom.
Make certain that the dogs and yours immunisations are up to date as any good quality boarding kennel will not accept the dogs without a certificate of immunisation.
As far as NPs are concerned, most of them are a rip off and we wouldn't bother even if we did not have dogs with us but there are alot of nature reserves that you can go into.
If you keep away from the tourist spots during their season, you will be OK. There are alot of nice places off the normal routes that can be visited
AnswerID: 174267

Follow Up By: djpatrol - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:43

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:43
Just get yourself a bit of camping gear, We now enjoy the spots where we meet our own kind with their pets and all is happy and lots of play for the pets ,and lots of nice people to hav a drink or Barbie with, goin back to the old days but not leavin the Caravan behind, Like the comforts too - much an so do the (((Lap-Dogs))) so keep on keepin -on.
HAPPY CAMPIN.
FollowupID: 430346

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:39

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:39
We do a bit of travelling and 4wding with our pooches. I have purchased a couple of muzzles similair to those that they use for grey hounds as it allows them to drink water and bark at passing trucks (they love trying to bite them on the way past- a bit of a game), but wont allow them to eat baits.
AnswerID: 174269

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:01

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:01
Hi Montemoo,
Apart from the Nat Parks issues, many of the nature reserves and forests throughout this state (WA) are extensively aerially baited for fox, feral cat and feral dog control. The poison is laid in dried meat baits dropped from an aircraft.

You should also be aware that many pastoralists and farmers are also baiting for the same pest animals plus rabbits.

In most instances the product used is Sodium Monofluoroacetate (commonly known as 1080) and there is no 100% antidote.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but you must consider this issue when planning your trip.

Good Luck with it

Cheers
Disco
AnswerID: 174273

Follow Up By: Montemoo - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:23

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:23
Thanks ro-dah-o and disco driver, the baiting thing is a really good thing to know about, I had no idea that baiting was so widely used. I'll definitely look into the muzzle thing. Thank you so much, I would hate anything to happen to my babies (dogs)
FollowupID: 430381

Reply By: Nav 8 - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:24

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:24
I have been told the reason dogs are not allowed in national parks is that they carry parasites that can infect and be harmful to native animals. We always give national parks the swerve anyway as I object to having to pay a fee to see my own country.,,,,,,,,,,,Nav.
AnswerID: 174283

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:44

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:44
"i object to having to pay a fee to see my own country " , i'm with you on that Nav 8 . We pay tax's to keep NP's , i don't see why i should pay a second time to go see them . Errol
FollowupID: 430370

Follow Up By: Big Al. - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:13

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:13
we too object to paying to see our own country. We have taken our cat and dog all over the country without any trouble. Always keep them very secure and never out of sight. Now planning a trip to Kimbley's next year with dog.( cat passed away after 16 years sailing and 4wd,ing)

Allan& june
Gold Coast
FollowupID: 430560

Reply By: blown4by - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 14:46

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 14:46
Agree with everything said by the other posts. We travel with my German Sheherd and the handbrakes white fluffy "thing" that I refer to as the "toilet brush". Well it wasn't my idea was it! We found many cvn parks e.g. Coral Bay, Ningaloo put all the doggy people togther in the "pooch park" section and found without exception the owners to be responsible dog people who follow the dog rules applicable to the park and you have a common interest as well and we found all to be very friendly people. I believe that 99.9% of people that bother to take their dogs away on holidays are responsible dog lovers, tht's why they don't leave them home in the first place, so you get very very few stupid owners and hence stupid dogs. Just be aware of the climatic conditions you may be venturing into heatwise and I can't recommend strongly enough take some metho with you and check your dogs daily for brown ticks. They are that common in the Pilbara that a 1 minute pit stop in the middle of nowhere is enough for 1 or 2 to climb aboard. I put metho on a tissue or cotton ball and smother the tick for about 2 minutes and then twist them 180 degrees and pull gently until they let go. If you pull too hard you will leave the head behind and that is not good. Also do not grab the body with tweezers or you will force more toxin from the ticks body into the dog. Also with parks that advertise they don't accept dogs we found some that actually do accept some once you arrive and they have checked out that you are not an idiot. Some will also charge a bond for the dog. e.g Monkey Mia and when I asked what it was for the receptionist thought for a second and said "to make sure the dog is happy" so I said OK I'll make sure the dog is happy:-) Good luck.
AnswerID: 174452

Follow Up By: Montemoo - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 14:57

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 14:57
Hi blown4by

Thanks for the info. This is the first big trip with the pooches and they are our babies so we are very responsible. One of the reasons for leaving and doing the trip is to spend more time with them and also we are sick of "bad" dogs in our neighbourhood. Good to know about the tick prob i n Pilbara. Glad to see you travel with big dog, I was starting to think we were the only ones!!

Thanks heaps
montemoo
FollowupID: 430557

Reply By: revhead307 - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:19

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:19
We travel with a Pointer x Wolfhound. (long weekends camping etc, yet to do any extended trips with her)

She has grown up in the car and 4x4ing, so is used to positioning her weight as we go over bumps etc. I've yet to knock her off balance lol.

The back seat is hers, with a canvas cover on it.

We'll be looking into a muzzle to protect from baits when in risk areas.

I dare say when we do go on holidays next, she will be with us.

Rev
AnswerID: 174460

Sponsored Links