internet options around oz

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:56
ThreadID: 34183 Views:2264 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip around oz, for one year or so, with a troop carrier and possibly a pop top camper van. I have no partner but hope to meet someone on the way!
I dabble in the share market a bit, and would like to use internet and email to keep in touch and check on the shares while im travelling around. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to do this, and does anyone have any past experience with doing something similar to this. I have looked into wide area wireless network, but it seems that system is hopeless so far, only working (and not too well) in inner city areas. My only other option seems to be a sat phone, used sparingly to keep the cost low. My budget is limited, unless I stop in more towns and take up casual work, which of course I would like to keep low.

cheers and thanks for anyones help in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:00

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:00
John, have you checked the archives ? I seem to remember quite a few posts on this topic.
AnswerID: 174272

Follow Up By: Ray Bates - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 01:15

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 01:15
Yes I put a comment in the archives.
I would strongly recomend public libararys or intenet cafes. Do not try and use your laptop via a mobile phone.
When using the above PCs get your server and go to webmail to receive your mail
FollowupID: 430434

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:15

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:15
Internet Cafe's, Community Tele Centres, CDMA Mobile that connects to laptop and acts as modem when in range or Telstra Wireless Mobile using something like the Sierra Air Card Site Link or get a Telstra Hotspot account where you can access the internet from places like McDonalds Site Link

I suggest you go and see your local Telstra Shop or call them if not near one.
AnswerID: 174275

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:19

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:19
Long John I have just returned (7months ago) from 1 year away. I found coverage a pain.
I would get a dial up acc Mine WAS dodo $10/mth. then make a telephone handset that you can stick on a public ph, plug into the laptop & get as much internet for $0.50. Haven't made this but friends have pocket mail which they put up to the handset & its transfers the info.

If you use internet cafe you have to change your outgoing mail server to theirs all the time. This stops it bouncing back as spam???
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 174279

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:23

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:23
MAXON MM-5100P CDMA 1XRTT TELSTRA WIRELESS MODEM B/NEW

Longjohn, I don't know what the above are like, I have investigated a bit, [I am in the same boat as you] but was told that I could'nt use them with a prepaid cdma??stuffed if I know!! let me know if you find a solution....cheers.. Phil
AnswerID: 174281

Follow Up By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:27

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:27
PS what are those ''blackberry'' things, about $700 worth??
FollowupID: 430338

Follow Up By: longJohn - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:31

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:31
Thanks for your help so far guys, seems like the technology/cost reduction still has a fair way to go. I think I will just have to use internet cafe's and just use phones.
I used to have a in car pc (autospeed.com.au volume 363) xr6t with computer and i connected to the net through the normal GPRS network and found it was good, bit dodgy area wise, basically anywhere your mobile works, it works. But cost is moderate.

Still hunting around for options, but trying to stay away from satalite solutions. big $$$$!!!

FollowupID: 430340

Follow Up By: djpatrol - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:52

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:52
Yep well let me know how to do all that as well cause im still here wondering how im gonna pay those bills and hav a good time on the road. Must hav to 65 to do all that so I got 6 years to go then.WAITIN & HOPIN
FollowupID: 430347

Reply By: longJohn - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:33

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:33
Oh by the way, if anyone in the brisbane area (male or female) is looking for a year of going around oz, im looking for companionship on my trip!! Ive asked all my mates and they are all too busy in life to come along! I have yet to buy a troopie and get a dog! But in the next 6 months or so, i am sure to move out of my house, rent it out and get out onto the road, where ill end up, who knows!
AnswerID: 174287

Follow Up By: stevesub - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:41

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:41
Don't bother with the dog - good comapny but if you want to camp anywhere, there are not that many dog friendly places, especially national parks and a lot of camp grounds.

We don't have a dog but friends do and they find that they are very restricted as to where they can stay.

We use GPRS to laptop for data when in coverage (Vodafone approx $50 per month for heaps of data) but restricted coverage, otherwise Internet Cafe's and dialup (Dodo) when near a phone and as a last restore wireless at McD's, etc (expensive).

We also have a special dialup account with an overseas ISP that we send all our emails through - we do not need to change our smtp settings all the time with that ISP.
FollowupID: 430593

Reply By: Member - Rod S (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:47

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:47
Long John, check with a globalstar dealer, if you are going to be in remote areas for considerable periods of time there is a federal government subsidy on the sat phones. Also have combo gsm or cdma/satphones. Just might be up your alley.
AnswerID: 174292

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 22:18

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 22:18
LongJohn,
I have a MiniMax high speed wireless mobile broadband CDMA USB Modem, which i have been useing for the last 18Mths.It works on the CDMA network where-ever there is phone cover.
In all Capital Cities and quite a few smaller cities it is broadband and all other CDMA areas it is twice the speed of dial up.I am 100% satisfied with it .Plugs into a USB port on the lap-top and can be used to send SMS and can also be used as a normal mobile Phone. $49-00 a month for 2yrs and that includes 20hrs free internet access with unlimited downloads. Call into any Telstra shop or go on there web site and it will give all the info you need.
DUKE
FollowupID: 430409

Reply By: aka_db - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 07:02

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 07:02
Hi LJ, I have also been using a MiniMax for about 18 months, they are excellent. Telstra now have a more robust version with the ability to add a high gain antenna that might be worth considering. This should in theory give access in more places, I am not sure of the model but it looks like a small blue box about 80 x 60 x 30 mm, I saw one at a recent expo on technology and the Tesltra guy seemed to be selling it's praises. Probably should ask Telstra about the upcomming 3g network and what happens with technology you buy today on a lengthy contract if it is introduced before your contract ends. DB...
AnswerID: 174369

Reply By: chump_boy - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:30

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:30
Long John,

An option not 100% legal would be to take a laptop with a wireless network card.

I would rekon that about 20% of peoples home internet connections that use 802.11 (wireless) technologies would be unsecured - you could pull up a few hundred metres away, and just share their connection. An even scarier thought is around 10% of businesses connections are unsecured.....

It works well in the city (apparantly), but don't know how you would go in smaller population areas.

Of course, it is illegal, and I myself would never do anything ,like that....

Cheers,

Chump
AnswerID: 174379

Follow Up By: longJohn - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 06:49

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 06:49
I know that method. I am one of the 20% of people that have had an unsecured wireless setup at their house and had my net connection leeched lol! Its secured now.
FollowupID: 430675

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:39

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:39
The easiest way is to get yourself a USB drive of about 1GB capacity. Go to Portable Apps and load up with portable Firefox (browser) and portable Thunderbird (mail client). These apps require no installation so all you need to run them is a computer with a USB port. Go to an Internet Cafe, plug it in and launch your application.
This way you can configure the browser with all you own bookmarks etc and means you can access bank accounts etc without the risk of leaving something (passwords or account numbers etc) in an Internet Cafe's browser cache.
The Thunderbird mail client can be setup to access any POP3 account and stores the emails on the USB drive, again keeping you away from Internet Cafe browser caches.

Simple to setup and run and saves the hassle of lugging a computer around, or if you do have a laptop, saves the hassle of arranging your own internet connection. You simply use the Intenet cafe's connection to access and download your email. You can then work on it on your Laptop and then use the Intenet cafe's connection to upload.
AnswerID: 174618

Follow Up By: longJohn - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:24

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:24
That sounds like an excellent idea. Ill check it out.
FollowupID: 430770

Sponsored Links