Byfield Nat Park

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:16
ThreadID: 34199 Views:1709 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
All,
The family and I are wanting to visit Byfield next weekend, any extra info would be appreciated, ie other campgrounds,(five rocks campground is closed), how far can you take a trailer. Also must see/do things.

Cheers Andrew

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 11:14

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 11:14
G'Day Andrew,
I've been looking for some info on Byfield as well. We're heading up there in July. I couldn't find a great deal on the place, other than the tracks can get pretty bloody soft and quite low tire pressures are a good idea. Also heard the fishing is quite good. If you can post a trip report when you get back - I'd be interested in reading it! :-))

Cheers
Scoey!
AnswerID: 174417

Reply By: beachbum - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 12:16

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 12:16
Hi there Drewab and there are plenty of camp sites along Nine Mile Beach which is to the south of Stockyard point and Five Rocks themselves. There is also some good camp sites to the north of Five Rocks but if you are towing I would not try that option as the exit is quite steep and soft and can be very difficult. It can also be difficult to get up the first big dune encountered on the track in to the area. It is best attacked by keeping right on the run up it. From there on just follow the main tracks and signs to the beach. There are lots of areas to explore with sandy tracks and it is a great beach. The sand can be a bit soft towards the southern end and also there are some rocks that can be a bit of a trap about halfway down the beach. Also there can be rather large undulations in that part of the beach (locally known as Woo Boys) that have caused a lot of accidents over the years. If you keep your speed down though they are not a problem. yes the fishing can be very good along the beach or off the Five rocks. The beach yeilds mainly Dart and Whiting with Five Rocks holding Mackerel using floats and Pilchards and Reefies on the bottom. There a plenty of sand worms in the beach if you can catch them and they are the best bait for the dart and the whiting. Enjoy your trip, travel easy and softly and you will have a great time.
AnswerID: 174429

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:37

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:37
I think you will find that all camp sites on the beach are now closed and the only camp site is in the designated NPs one just north of the settlement. And is lower pressure is necessary and a heavy trailer might find it a bit difficult. You can drive along the beaches thought.
There are three other camp sites in the State Forest and one where you are allowed to take your dog.
Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 430569

Reply By: beachbum - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:50

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:50
Hi there Bruce and Anne and don't know where your info re closure of Nine Mile camp sites came from but it is incorrect. I have been in touch with friends who live at Stockyard point Village this afternoon and there are people camped along the beach at present. The only closure is at Five rocks camp ground and even that is still being used. There is a requirement for a beach permit to drive along all beaches in Livingstone Shire and they are available free (for now) from the Visitors Info center, the BP Service Stn in James St or the Shire Office in Yeppoon. A lot of locals still don't have them and policing is spasmodic. The other camp grounds you mention are very nice but they are a long way from the beach. Bye and take care.
Drewab and other interested parties, if you post your email address I will talk to you via that method if you wish. Bye and enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 174477

Reply By: govo - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 00:53

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 00:53
l was there a couple of months ago and the NP poeple had put up signs at the nine mile camping area saying that camping is banned in and around the creek where all the cleared camp areas are and stating you have to camp south of the signs...meaning that you now have to make new tracks on the dunes and clear fresh camp sites..most poeple ignored the signs and used comon sense unlike the good ol NP poeple( they spend 3 years at uni and loose 80% brain power)next thing l expect them to do is to put up signs on top of the orange bowl ''no driving on dunes'' :) :) :)
AnswerID: 174590

Sponsored Links