A new used 4wd

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:58
ThreadID: 34200 Views:1740 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all.

I thought I should consult this fountain of information before I make any decisions.

I am after a 4wd wagon 5 - 6 years old now I was just going to see if I could get a LC 100 TD (this would be just over my budget but I can live with that) but with the fuel prices as they are I am having to seriously consider my options. For weeks I have analised the pros and cons of fuel types maintanance etc. but I want to know what people think who have actually experianced different options and what they found to be practical efficent etc. considering duel fuel options engine size and so on.

The vehicle will be used for;
a small amount of around town use less than 4000km a year
medium trips 10 - 50 km about 6000 km a year (off road & sealed) and
and 3 - 4 long trips a year over totaling abut 5000 km (highway mostly)

some light towing maybe occaional heavy tow.

comments greatfuly apprecieated

Pat.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: myfourby - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:31

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:31
If the majority of your driving is in areas where Gas is available, and you want a big car- Dual fuel Pertol/Gas is the only way to go from here as I see it.

I've had a dual fuel vehicle and I currently have a diesel - I much prefer the diesel - however - fuel prices have made it just unaffordable. I had problems with the Gas system failing when going off-road – a lot of the components didn’t like the bumps – but you’ve always got Petrol as a backup.

A Gas/Petrol vehicle is better than no vehicle.

-myforuby
AnswerID: 174405

Reply By: Nav 8 - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:38

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:38
Gday Pat,,,I have been the owner of a 4x4 vehicles for the last 32 years both petrol in the early days and diesel for about the last 20yrs and am also a qualified diesel mechanic. Having read your post I would highly recommend a diesel especially if you will be using it to tow. Petrol 4x4 are are generally speaking thirsty beasts at the best of times, and although diesel is about 10 cents a ltr more to buy the fuel consumption will be a lot lower than petrol. I own a 03 Navara at the moment and average 10.5 to 11 ltr per 100 km general driving and 15 ltr per 100 km towing a 20 ft van. If you do take the diesel option I would also recommend you go for a turbo engine, it may cost you a bit more but the power difference will more than outweigh the extra cost. As you will be buying second hand make sure you have the vehicle checked by an independent mechanic first as the down side of the diesel engine is the cost of repairs if a serious problem arises. Good luck with your purchase,,,Regards ,,,Nav.
AnswerID: 174407

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:42

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:42
Pat,

It is simple to work out what vehicle to buy diesel or petrol.

If you are driving in the city, petrol/gas is the way to go.

If you do any touring beyond the city limits, diesel this the only way to go.

If you were going to tow a anything, diesel/turbo

The price of petrol and diesel are the same in the outback and gas does not exist.

Wayne
AnswerID: 174408

Reply By: chump_boy - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:49

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:49
Pat,

I have a 105 Series GXL, and can't praise it enough. Its a NA Diesel, but it gets along fine for what we use it for. We also get 11-12L / 100km fairly regularly from it. We have got 10L/100km from it occasionally, just the same as we have got 16+L/100km from it.

Some of the things we do to keep economy good include:
* No roofracks,
* A snorkel is fitted,
* Using split rims, and narrow tyres, inflated fairly high,
* Nothing unnecessary in the car,
* Keeping the windows up, and not using the air-con unless necessary,
* Not keeping the fuel tanks full all the time,
* Realising it is a heavy car, and will take a long time to get up to speed!

By not thrashing it, and driving economically, we get good mileage. We are the people that make sure we are still rolling when the lights go green, so the inertia is not as great at startup, and are happy to just take off slowly.

I think if you apply these sort of principals to most vehicles, your milage will improve greatly.

As a side note, my 105 Series is for sale......it's a 98 model, 74000km's, and in great condition.....lol

Cheers,

Chump
AnswerID: 174410

Follow Up By: Pat278 - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:59

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:59
you better give me the details and I will short list it.

patmg1@msn.com

thanks.
FollowupID: 430487

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 12:29

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 12:29
Would like to know what you mean by "off road"...

For the small amount of km you are doing per year, and the fact that it is almost exclusively on the blacktop, with occasional "off road" (assuming slightly muddy well made dirt tracks) with generally only light towing, do you really need something the size/fuel consumption of a LC/Patrol???

If the heavy towing is only "occasional" would it be worth "occasionally" hiring a appropriate vehicle?

If you are looking at a vehicle that is going to be consuming 15-20 l/100 km for the occasional time you may need tow, or go on dirt tracks, it seems like a way expensive overkill, when in all honesty you may need it 5-10 days/year.

Have a look at a Commodore Wagon 3.8l, 10-12 l/100 km round town better on a run, maybe all you need (as distinct from what you "want"). Can be bought for $10-15000 giving a lot of money for your "occasionals" (general cost of large 5 yr old 4WD $20-25000), and saving money on fuel (dual fuel??)

Time to look at the bigger picture.................
AnswerID: 174432

Follow Up By: Pat278 - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 12:44

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 12:44
Thanks for your comments I appreciate it. I might have to clarify a few things.

As I have a work car for private use most of my driving is in it and my wife has the 06 forester which is a beutiful car.

By off road I mean places it would be foolish to take a hire vehicle or small 4wd.

I probably could get away with a Prado, that is what I have now but I would like more space in the back because once the fridge is in there isn't much space left.

the occasional towing is partly being prepaired for a bushfire there isn't much else I can tow a 1000l water tank around the western side of our property and be able to get the hellouta there if I have to.

I also have a shippshape tent that the vehicle will need to host.

A L/C or Patrol is much better value than a Commodoor think of its depreciation particularly in that age.

I'll think about it though,

thanks
Pat.
FollowupID: 430519

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 23:09

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 23:09
If the only towing you will do is a water tank the petrol may be an option, although a roof top tent will add heaps of wind resistance.

I read a magazine article recently which compared the 100 Td and the 100 V8 cruisers. Considering the initial purchase price ($14, 000 + cost of each fuel, economy of vehicle etc), it would take 160,000 klm driving the V8 to recoup the extra money spent to purchase the Td.

This does not take into consideration vehicles towing a heavy load.
AnswerID: 174579

Sponsored Links