Kids entertainment

Submitted: Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 20:37
ThreadID: 3422 Views:2185 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ive got 2 kids under 6 we have been to the Cape & Uluru and got by with a 12v TV and a 12v video which has been great ,but as kids get older they want more. I`m thinking about picking up a play station 1 and running it through an inverter I`ve got 2 questions 1/ would this work ? and 2/ does play station 1 play DVDs ?
Regards
Craig.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 23:05

Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 23:05
I think it would jump the CD wouldnt it on bumpy roads?

PS1 wont play DVDs.
AnswerID: 13361

Reply By: toonfish - Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 23:44

Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 23:44
the ps 2 is ok but the ps1 is less likey to bounce being smaller and if its on the seat its a big cushion right.
super cheap and others have dvd players and screens that can be removed from car in a bag with a lighter plug in for around $600 or less when on special or autobarn have a decent unit 12 volt for $400 and screen $300 6 inch .
you might want to check out a REX = rear entertainment system that can incorporate a dvd ps 1 or ps2 nintendo video and all your cars audio /visual feature and can have wireless head phone or standard headphone jacks .
been there done that and because i spent all my youth earnings on audio i have a navara rather than a new patrol.lol
hope it helps.
AnswerID: 13373

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 14:56

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 14:56
Hi Craig,

Why not do somethng radical and avoid the audio visual trap altogether. With both kids still under 6, you've still got time to teach them that there's more to life than TV and video games. Isn't that part of the reason you head bush???

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 13390

Follow Up By: Jaap - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:16
Hear Hear
I've got two aged 12 and 10.5. Boys
Been around OZ, Kimberly etc just crossed the Simpson last October definately No movies,playstations etc
There's plenty to see and do along the way.We involve the kids in the preparation, research, observations, setting up camp, cooking etc. and a journal is a good thing (but you need to pay attention to what is happening to be able to write something) You'll be suprised how much they will refer to it in the future when skieting to their mates etc
Otherwise you may as well leave them at home(cheaper too)
Don't mean to tell you what to

Jaap
FollowupID: 7865

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:34

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:34
Hi Craig
I agree with Melissa and Jaap, our kids are now 21+23 and have been travelling since they were 9 months old. No TV's, just tape players or CD. Music and talking books were all they got. They helped with the planning, menu and cooking, camp setting up. From 5 on they even helped navigate. The onlt detrimental effect according to the 21 yrs old daughter is that she had to suffer Jute Box Saturday Night ever trip away. We averaged 10 weeks away till they were well into highschool. We still do not take the TV
Ray
FollowupID: 7867

Follow Up By: Craig - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 19:03

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 19:03
I agree , but there is some times the kids need time off with some good kid stuff , our last two trips 8500 and 9200kms most of was on the blacktop to get to our destinations, although we like to travel and our kids have seen a lot of Oz it sometimes feels cruel . Yes when we were kids we had nothing except colouring in books but , we never ventured out of NSW.
thanks for your feedback.
Craig.
FollowupID: 7990

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 23:29

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 23:29
Hi Craig,

Oh I get it...it's a bribe! My two year old can still be bought off with a packet of Tiny Teddy biscuits, LOL!

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 8008

Reply By: geoff - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:58

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:58
have to agree with the sentiments above.... our son was 5 weeks old and daughter was 9 when we first bundled them in the cruiser and headed bush, Canberra to perth and back again the "scenic route" (via uluru etc). We have just retrned from the tanami, kimberlies broome and perth again with my kids now 5 years older. The trip we just completed didnt even have a radio or tape player as they gave up the ghost way early in the piece. It takes no time at all to arrange with your childrens school to give you study planners and guides on assignments you can do that will complement their current schooling. Also mentioned above is the Journal, they are indeed a great read and bring more of the holiday back than my vid and photo's with their honest writing and great pictures. Definatly dump the telly or playstation......... your children will get a lot more by staring out the window at the scenery for ten minutes than they will from hours of midlessy blasting aliens or whot not.
AnswerID: 13396

Reply By: geoff - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 16:01

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 16:01
have to agree with the sentiments above.... our son was 5 weeks old and daughter was 9 when we first bundled them in the cruiser and headed bush, Canberra to perth and back again the "scenic route" (via uluru etc). We have just retrned from the tanami, kimberlies broome and perth again with my kids now 5 years older. The trip we just completed didnt even have a radio or tape player as they gave up the ghost way early in the piece. It takes no time at all to arrange with your childrens school to give you study planners and guides on assignments you can do that will complement their current schooling. Also mentioned above is the Journal, they are indeed a great read and bring more of the holiday back than my vid and photo's with their honest writing and great pictures. Definatly dump the telly or playstation......... your children will get a lot more by staring out the window at the scenery for ten minutes than they will from hours of midlessy blasting aliens or whot not.
AnswerID: 13397

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 19:36

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 19:36
craig - my kids are now 10 and 12 but started travelling at less than 6 months and found that good entertainment when the found the value of money was to give them $5 worth of 20 cent pieces at the start of the day and each time they fell out of line they lost one coin and got one back when being good, whilst listening to our music, having thier c/in books etc and found that this typically cost about $3.00 day for each child - good luck - tim
AnswerID: 13414

Reply By: Member - Leanne - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:13

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:13
Hi Craig,

I agree with most of the sentiments above. Our kids are now 12 and 9 and have been 4WD-ing since the youngest was 18months. They both have a Gameboy which they are allowed to play for no more than 2 hours per day whilst travelling in the car. Both kids stick to the rules. We have an assortment of games which they swap and change between them. A lot of times we travel with other members of our 4WD Club who also have kids of similar ages, so we simply swap kids - having someone different to talk to etc really breaks the boredom. We also have plenty of book, colouring pencils, and travel games. Once we have stopped for the day, they help with setting up the camp etc. I think the younger you start them off without all the "entertainment" and get them used to appreciating our great country, the better it is in the long run. Happy Travels. Leanne
AnswerID: 14049

Sponsored Links