Rudall River National Park

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:04
ThreadID: 34229 Views:1812 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day there,

In July/August we'll be travelling east along the Talawana Track in WA, as part of a trip from Brisbane to Perth (via Anne Beadell and Holland Track) and back (via Talawana Track, Gary Junction Hwy etc.).

We are planning to go into Rudall River N.P. east of Newman for a few days but can't find much information on it. Does anyone have any experience in or info on the Park, where are the good campimg spots, what's worth seeing in there? Any advice or reports of experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ray

PS after 12 months as a visitor to the Forum, am now in process of becoming a member. Such a lot of useful information out there that everyone has to share. Enjoy reading various Threads.
ShorterShots

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:28

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:28
Rudall River NP depends all on how much rain has fallen. If it is dry give it a miss. OK if there is still water in the river. With the Talawana Track make sure your shockies are in good order and tighten any loose nuts & bolts. The track is notorius for being VERY corrugated. Contact Cotton Creek Aboriginal settlement before you head into RRNP they can tell you if the river is dry or otherwise

Cheers
AnswerID: 174568

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:30
Forgot to mention, the section of the Talawana I referred to is between the Cotton Creek turn off and canning Stock Route
FollowupID: 430652

Reply By: Ray Shorter - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 23:20

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 23:20
Thanks George. Mate of mine was through the area a couple of weeks ago but didn't go into Rudall River NP because the river was up. Hope its down a bit when we go through but not so much that it's dried up. Also he had quite a bit of trouble with spinafex seeds clogging the mesh protecting his radiator (clean out every 15-20 kms). Hopefully no spinaflex will be flowering when we go through. We are looking forward to the trip though. Ray
ShorterShots

AnswerID: 174581

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:30

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:30
Ray

We went in to Rudall River NP in April last year. We accessed the park through Cotton Creek with permission from the elders.

At that time it was extremely dry and hordes of camels had polluted most of the waterholes. We did however find a secluded spot after a bit of searching and some water to use and cool off in. The flies drove us insane even with flynets on...lol

I enjoyed my time in the park, looking at various landforms etc, but to my mind it is not spectacular. Desert Queen Baths are nice, I have been told by my fellow travellers(I could not access them), but you have to be agile to get right into the gorge.

The Talawana Track most likely has the worst corrugations in the world!!!!

I will be up in that region again this year but will be skirting the park for access into other places.
AnswerID: 174636

Follow Up By: Ray Shorter - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:52

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:52
Thanks Willem. Doesn't sound a particularly enticing place. Ray
ShorterShots

FollowupID: 430844

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 09:06

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 09:06
Ray

Those were just my private comments. You really have to go and have a look for yourself and make your own judgement.

I think that after good rains the park would be a lot friendlier.

Cheers
FollowupID: 430912

Sponsored Links