Fraser island

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:03
ThreadID: 34256 Views:1890 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Looking at buying a 2000 Rodeo 4x4 tray 3.2 v6.. Does it have enough ground clearance to get up to Sandy Cape, Fraser island, with 10psi in the tyres??
Thanks for all your replies.
dornbus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Woody - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:32

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:32
Hi dornbus,

Your V6 Rodeo will do it easier than most mate.
As you have already figured out the secret is in your tyre pressures, but combine that with the power of a V6 as well as the weight advantage of a trayback ute and you will skip across the top of the sand. Just keep your speed up in the soft bits.
Have fun,
Brett
AnswerID: 174725

Follow Up By: dornbus - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:09

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:09
Thanks Big Woody,
Bit worried about the bypass track behind ngkala rocks, last time i was there
(2 years) in a 60 series cruiser, there was a deep sandy section ( slightly uphill) just after u go through the first rock section of the bypass, how's this bypass now? Im maybe thinking a rodeo will get caught belly up in deep sand.. All replies welcome...
FollowupID: 430766

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:38

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:38
Yes dornbus,
You are right about that long soft section being slightly uphill and it is just as soft now as it ever was.
Get out and walk up and have a look at it first. I have found the years when it has been really dry and soft like talcum powder, usually in the heat of summer, you can come around through the corners at the start and if you haven't been able to get up enough momentum, then try and get off the ocean side of the main track and reverse up the ramp. That way you can get some more speed up to get through. Revs high in 1st gear high range and don't back off.

I still swear by the tyre pressure though and 8-10 psi should get you through with no problems. Ground clearance is all relative to your tyre diameter as even with high suspension, your axles are no higher and these are the bits pushing the sand.
I remember pulling out all but one of the entire Subaru Club one year in the soft stuff behind Indian Head. The one that got through had 15inch wheels. I pulled the first 9 out with my snatch strap and shackle. The last one already had his snatch strap hooked up. That is the last time I do that cause I nevver did find out where the other half of his shackle ended up but I was sure luck not to end up with it through my back window.
Wandered off the topic now, starting to rave, Jul;ie says I'd better go before I start boring everybody.......

Brett
FollowupID: 430786

Reply By: guzzi - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:28

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:28
Yep,
the rodeo will do it fairly easily.
Would suggest 20 psi in the tyres as a start, and keep the speed down to 60k or so, you can always drop them to 15 if needed. 10 psi is asking for a flat at normal speeds.
The tray backs are fairly light and should float over most soft stuff on the beach, expect to scrape the transfer case bash plate and rear diff pumkin on some of the inland tracks.
The V6 is a bit thristy, but gee they go.
AnswerID: 174736

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:35

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:35
Hi Dornbus
Have a look at the feedback in the trek notes for Fraser Is. I usually report on conditions when up there.
Site Link

Behind Nagala Rocks is always tricky for vehicles with open diffs and high tyre pressure. The Rodeo driven properly will be ok. It may even be able to do the steep track north bound with a stiff wind to the rear. LOL Just dont pull up behind any stuck vehicles on the uphill slope.

Dont forget to support Manta Ray Barges (they are a site sponsor)
cheers
Kerry
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 174739

Follow Up By: dornbus - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:52

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:52
Thanks for all the replies,
Just love Fraser, been going there 25 years now in various 4x4's...
There is many changes..
Not many suntanned bacpackers 20 years ago.
Ive been told there is a sexy female ranger at Dundubara now
Now, does anyone now of a suitable 2" lift kit for the rodeo, bit more ground clearance would be good
Always use Manta Ray-Nothing else
Regards
Dornbus
FollowupID: 430793

Sponsored Links