Canning Permits

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 21:36
ThreadID: 34267 Views:2511 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
After waiting for a response from the relevent people regarding Canning Permits and after a phone call and still waiting for a reply to questions such as where and where not you need permits for access along the track. I have just heard from another person who also rang them, that they cannot bring the system in for this year as there is much to do. Apparently they have been inundated with requests and are having trouble in getting the whole system going. So for this year it appears that the permit system is off. However if you do not belong to a 4 b club or join this forum you would not know anyway.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:15

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:15
The permit system is the greatest lot of crap this country has seen for many years.

It serves no purpose other than creating a power base for the Land Councils.

If the traditional owners were so worried about places and sites in the past why did they not say so and petition the govt to put safegaurds into place. Here we have been visiting sites along the Canning for years and now suddenly permits have to be obtained. It is all about power.

I advocate civil disobedience in refursing to obtain permits for the Canning.

I am happy to apply for permits to places which are rarely visited as I have recently been successful in doing. There is a place for certain permits but to start on places which have been frequented for years, is rediculous.

AnswerID: 174781

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:01

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:01
Call me a cynic if you like, but I have trouble believing that almost every place that has an attraction of one sort or another is now a "sacred site".
I don't feel that it is being racist to say that it just another snout in the trough, in a blatant grab for cash.
FollowupID: 430845

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:05

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:05
Oh oh...a cranky Willem.
AFAIK some groups have been actively seeking ways of protecting some sites around the Canning for years. Some groups wanted to ban visitors altogether I believe, due to vandelism and litter around these sites.
The permit system is what they ended up with
I'll leave the politics for the campfire :)))
FollowupID: 430847

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:37

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:37
Boy what a camp fire with Willem that will be. :-))
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 430871

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 04:02

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 04:02
Willem
Mate I would not call it civil disobedience, but exercising our rights as Australian Citizens to travel in our Country, I don't those other Australians getting a permit to go to a KMart in Brisbane , It;s well past the time to forget what our ancestors did and get on with life and all Australians enjoy our country and get rid of this one sided BS .No I'm not racist but the booze is ruining the Aboriginal. and the sh it stirrer 50% ers in the Cities are the ones causing all this BS ..GGrrrr
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 430883

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 04:15

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 04:15
I forgot to add that they the Aboriginals are the ones that are making the country look like a rubbish dump , Tanami Track , Wrecked cars and plastic bumpers for miles, G C Hwy burnt out cars and bottles , Kintore rd more cars,bottles and booze bladders , near Yuendumu 1000s of booze bladders near the road. who's littering the outback i ask
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 430884

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 07:18

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 07:18
Well said Willem.

Doug you made the exact point in regard to litter I was going to.

And I'll raise the point I made once before: does an Aborigine from East Gippsland or The Cape have to apply for a permit to visit these lands - he has no more historic connection with them than any white man - but, of course, it's only racism if it's a white doing it to a black isn't it...?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 430894

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 07:49

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 07:49
Doug T (QLD).

On the subject of "rubbish tip".
While returning from a recent trip I came back via Thargomindah & St George.
If you want to see a rubbish tip try this section of road. It was absolutley disgusting.
I dont think the aborigines had anything to do with this trash heap.
I think the white population should take a close look at its self before we start pointing the finger at the aborigines or anybody else for that matter.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 430899

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 09:51

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 09:51
From what I have read here, a lot of people agree with Pauline Hanson, all Australians should be regarded as being equal, not white, not coloured, not Christian & not Muslim ....... but EQUAL.

I'll go one further & say it should also mean .... 1 country, 1 flag!
FollowupID: 430927

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 11:51

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 11:51
I know it's just not Aboriginals trashing the country, I was refering to the area's they hang out , but if you want a wider perspective then yeh the people in the industry i work in are just as bad , Truckies [ and not all of them] chuck plastic bottles and Cig butts out the window, tourists do the same, my opinion is this... a tissue or paper came from the ground and will return to the ground ie vanish in a short time, plastics unless burnt will be there long after i've gone, an apple core or other food is just that...food for what ever finds it.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 430947

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:08

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:08
Doug.

Aboriginals have been throwing stuff away for thousands of years. Its only since the white man came that the stuff they now throw away does not blend back in or break down. The same goes for many native cultures.
I guess one good view midens (spelling?) as rubbish as well.
Some of their stuff turned out to be hard to throw away. My effort at Friday funnies.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 430951

Follow Up By: Tony J - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 20:22

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 20:22
So called sacred midens are in fact - rubish dumps!!! Anyone seen whitemans side of Roper Bar! Bloody digusting - can't take VB across the crossing into 'sacred' Arnhen Land - so have to drink it before going home and leave the rubbish on whitemans side.
FollowupID: 431045

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:40

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:40
Unless they install toll booths at either end of the track I think I will just have to not read this forum and not join a club then I can plead ignorance and if anyone says anything while I'm half way along the track I will just say sorry didnt know, I will leave immediately ,and continue either up or down in the direction I was travelling.

Its no different to finding someone on your property , you can only ask them to leave . sure if they refuse you can call in the heavies but you cannot say stiff s*it bucko thats $ x for being here without permission.
maybe I should try it- then I could afford a new 4wd like the ones the people who issue these permits drive.

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 174791

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:10

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:10
The problem is that in the event that you need say, extra fuel, you could possibly be faced with someone saying "no permit ? no petrol !"
Its not probable but its possible.
FollowupID: 430851

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:50

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:50
They say "no permit, no fuel". Then everyone will tow trailers, round & round we go!
FollowupID: 430867

Reply By: Eric M - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:14

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:14
The canning Stock route saga!! The following is an extract from the Western 4WDriver magazine 59th Edition winter 2006, page 131.

"A disturbing event occurred on the CSR not too long ago that will change the way we consider the CSR from this point on."

Members of the Martu people who hold exclusive possession native title to country adjacent to the CSR were visiting a sacred site when a group of Victorian tourists ordered them to leave and questioned their right to be there." How to win friends and influence people-not"
"This caused obvious concern and has resulted in the Ngaanyatjarra Council insisting all travellers intending to wander off the CSR get permission to do so before they depart for the region. The area covered by the title includes all land adjacent to the CSR fro well 15 to well 40 including Calvert range, Durba Springs, and the wider Percival Lake area. At this point permission is required but their is no permit as such and no associated cost. A template is available on the net which needs to be filled out and forwardedfor approval. The Council simply wants to make the if you are simply travelling up the CSR without any side trips between well 15 & 40then permission is not required.
You can contact Lisa Maher@ ngaanyatjarra.org.au for the template".

That is word for word out of the current Western 4WDriver magazine.
It just goes to show what is happening around Australia it is the arrogant, irresponsible 5% that is causing the grief and stuffing it up for the 95% of responsible 4WDrivers.
It is no wonder that the Land managing agencies are closing down tracks etc and making life hard for the genuine responsible travellers.

It won't be long for a lot of the above if not all will only be accessible to the indigenous people, and you can't blame them.
I have been fortunate enough to have travelled the CSR and been to all of those sites and the artwork petraglyphs Calverts) are awesome. I feel sad to think that my grandchildren will be restricted to the blacktop and not be able to experience the off road travels that I have enjoyed doing in this unique and wonderful country of ours.
Happy Travels, Ericm WA.

AnswerID: 174802

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:59

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:59
Hi Eric

Don't go stuffing up a good thread with the truth "LOL"

Richard

FollowupID: 430874

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 01:08

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 01:08
Simple Eric M. Permits should only be required by Victorian tourists. Why should we all suffer because of their arrogance :))))))))))))
FollowupID: 430875

Reply By: drifta - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 05:10

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 05:10
Lindsay
I phoned them about 2 weeks ago and they emailed me all the paperwork that afternoon. Have filled it out and submitted it to them to be presented at there next meeting which is in June. There was no mention of any cost involved in any of the paperwork they sent me. The sites they list are extensive and include more than just between well 15 and 40. They also include alot of the wells themselves. I do agree with everyone that you should not need permission to travel our country but at this point am willing to play along to see if they are reasonable with granting that permission. I'm happy to let them know where i am going and when as long as that is all they ask of me.
Drifta
AnswerID: 174817

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 05:10

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 05:10
Lindsay,

I am leaving on Tuesday for the Canning and have not yet received the permits to the Canning. Vic applied as soon as he got the letter about the permits but even after phone calls has not heard back from them.

They don't want money, but more like how many are going to be on the Canning this year.

I think that they thought it was a good idea at the time but just could not organise them selfs to do the permits in time.

We are still going. If I am asked for a permit I will just say that it is in the mail, and because that we are part of a responsible tour group they would have granted us permission.

Tour company's that have done the Canning in the past have also been sent the letter.

Vic Widman has a bit o say about this in his column in the June Overlander magazine.

Wayne
AnswerID: 174818

Reply By: lindsay - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 07:47

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 07:47
One of the points that i tried to make to those who issue the proposed permits as to what their interpretation was as adjacent to the Canning. I have an old map and it shows that the track that we all follow deviates from the gazetted stock route. From my interpretation the stock route is about 5 miles wide. Is that the area you are allowed on,and not allowed off? Killugurra spring is one of the wells on the stock route are we allowed there without a permit?These are some of the questions i asked to no avail. They have not replied to my emails or phone calls. As someone who has toured around the outback for 30 years i will continue to do as i always have. William you are right in your opinions and until we stand up and say we are all australians it will only continue. A couple of years ago I attempted to travel the Colsen track with a permit. On phoning the relevent organisation they did not know where it was,however, they said there were some very important areas there that had to be preserved. Station people to the north of the track told me of an area where there was some water was claimed to be of cultural significance and an attemted claim made on it and it was proven that it was man made by station owners. Are we being taken for a ride on some of these issues. I must state that I do support the protection of these areas but lets be fair dinkum.
AnswerID: 174824

Sponsored Links