teaching in N.T

Submitted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 09:47
ThreadID: 34313 Views:2613 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Spotted an ad in ' Caravan and Motorhome' for relief teachers in the N.T,targeting Grey Nomads. Interested to hear from anyone who has done any releif teaching in N.T or WA and QLD whilst travelling around. How did it work out for you?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 13:19

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 13:19
I would have thought that retired teachers would have done their time in hell ?? :)))))
AnswerID: 175063

Follow Up By: JJ - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 14:21

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 14:21
When I was a kid on the Nullarbor, the teacher we had was 90 years old when my Mum insisted she return to her family in Adelaide. But tell you what, she was thorough! Every morning we had to do 10 minutes of exercise (streching, deep breathing etc); resite The Lords Prayer and sing the National Anthem (God Save The King, back then)! In doing Correspondence lessons, every word had to be known by heart before she would return the work to Adelaide, and we practically had to know the times-tables backwards. We thought she was a tough old biddy, but certainly learnt what she taught! So at 90, she must have thought hell waspretty good!
FollowupID: 431126

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 15:13

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 15:13
You might remember her foldly now, but I'll bet you weren't impressed as a kid !
FollowupID: 431128

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 11:36

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 11:36
Footloose - I know a few teachers who retired early because they were fed up with bureacracy, meetings and bulldust. They happily teach on as relief teachers, where they know the kids want to learn, and they just teach, which is what they are trained and experienced at doing.

Harry - I reckon it would be important to enquire about how good or bad the teaching positions were, and how motivated the kids were. Hope you can find someone who has done it!

Max
FollowupID: 431235

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 14:01

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 14:01
Harry, as a casual teacher, you have some latitude in terms of programming, paperwork, meetings and school politics. You are also not covered under the same umbrella in many areas as permanents, and can be taken advatage of well and truly. It's not a great way to make a living.
Might be a good way to suppliment your income as you go around, but there are numerous obsticles.
Firstly, each state has its own teacher registration board. Then there's the necessity for police checks, different in every state.
Next is the situations themselves. You might be lucky and get a week because someone is on leave or a course. More than likely they're on stress leave in areas which are difficult to retain staff in anyway. Motivated kids ? The two don't usually go together, if you're a casual then the kids generally see you as a target for their sillyness and misbehaviour.
Just teaching eh ? Show me that situation and I'll show you a casual who only teaches in one selected school or area.
It's a good theory. Retired teachers making some cash as they travel. Looks like easy money. But I doubt that many retired teachers are that desperate.
It would be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.
FollowupID: 431258

Reply By: chump_boy - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:23

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:23
From what we have seen, the NT is crying out for teachers, especially in some of the more remote areas.

My wife is a primary school teacher, and on our last trip to Darwin, looked seriously at it.

They currently have a scheme where prospective teachers can be flown up, teach for a term, and be flown home, all expenses paid. Sounded pretty good to us.

Cheers,

Chump
AnswerID: 175303

Reply By: tonysmc - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:59

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:59
Harry, a friend of mine did it in the NT for about 9 months and LOVED it. She suggests that organise your teacher rego number before you leave home as this will take some time if you do it when you get there because it involves police checks and such. Qld, Vic and the NT all accept each others teacher numbers, so if you register in one of these states you don't have to go through the whole process to work in the other 2. I was told NSW has its own and I am not sure about the others. You should be able to get the application form for registration from the net.
Good luck and have fun.
Regards Tony
AnswerID: 175316

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:03

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:03
www.teaching.nt.gov.au/
FollowupID: 431401

Reply By: harry1 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:09

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:09
Thanks all,

Yes, it certainly would make life easier of there was a national registration system. I taught in WA for ten years, but am now no longer registered. Not only do I have to pay money now to registered, but I have to complete several weeks of supervised teaching practise. Obviously no teacher shortage in WA.

Thanks again for the feedback.
AnswerID: 175367

Sponsored Links