Creaking Clutch GQ Patrol

Submitted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 14:09
ThreadID: 34317 Views:6876 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.

Last weekend after I did a river crossing I noticed shortly after that whenever I depressed the clutch pedal it began to creak rather badly, so much so that I could feel it through the actual clutch pedal itself. Upon later inspection I noticed that the rubber boot attached to the clutch housing was in fact torn and must have let some water in. The creaking noise seems to be coming from the actual clutch assembly itself. Can someone please tell me how to remove the slave-cylinder from the clutch lever, and whether or not I will be able to lubricate whatever it is that is sueaking through the hole once I have removed the rubber boot.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 8 - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:40

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:40
If the boot is torn it probably did get water in. The creak could be caused by any of about three points. First the slave cylinder rod where it sits in the recess on the clutch fork. To fix gently push the rod back into the slave cylinder a little and put some grease on the rod. Second, remove the slave cylinder by removing the two retaining studs,no need to disconnect the hyd pipe, and remove the boot. ( buy a new boot to replace the torn one ) If you have a look in with a torch you will see the clutch fork pivots on a ball and the fork contacts at two points behind the thrust bearing. These points need lubrication and the water may have washed it off. If you get a can of spray grease with the little straw attached, through the hole you can give each point a spray but be careful not to spray onto the clutch itself. Use spray GREASE not the thin anti seize type spray, I would say the squeak is from the pivot ball. Regards ...Nav.
AnswerID: 175166

Follow Up By: Byteman - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:59

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:59
You were right Nav, the creaking was coming from the ball pivot that the fork rests upon, not the slave cylinder plunger or the actual pedal pivot itself. I managed to lubricate the pivot by pulling back the fork which reveals the ball pivot and then applied a dollop of grease to the end of a screwdriver which I carefully used to apply it with. (If anyone attempts to perform this fix, I'd advise that you make sure that the spring which sits inside the fork arm is fitted properly into it's retainer slots before replacing the rubber boot.) I then smeared a generous bead of silicone around the new rubber boot (Genuine Nissan part $17.50) and installed it in place. I was unable however, to get any grease onto the two contact points on the thrust bearing no matter how hard I tried as it proved to be just too difficult for me to reach. Anyway, once I finished the repair and had re-installed the slave cylinder I jumped into the drivers seat and began pumping the clutch pedal. Not only had that annoying creaking completely gone, but I also think the clutch is about 30% easier to depress than it was before! Thanks very much for your assistance in this matter. Thank you too for your advice Shaker, I have a Nissan sedan which also has a slight creaking sound coming from the clutch and I know for a fact that it isn't coming from the ball pivot or slave cylinder either. When I get a chance I'll take a look at the pedal pivot bracket as you suggested.

FollowupID: 431508

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:48

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:48
My vehicle isn't a patrol, but it is a Nissan. I had a creaking clutch pedal, which I tried all sorts of sprays etc to no avail.
It turned out to be a spot weld that had let go in the clutch pedal pivot bracket, that subsequently caused others to fail & totally collapse the bracket.
Not saying that is your problem, but well worthj a look.
Funnily enough mine also started after some river crossings, but that was purely coincidental!
AnswerID: 175199

Sponsored Links