Pizza Base Recipe

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:53
ThreadID: 34339 Views:7625 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got a successful one?? Wanna make pizza tonight in the Cobb along with a Coke Choc Cake.....

Laura
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maroni - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:56

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:56
got a bread maker??? they make the best dough in my opion.
AnswerID: 175170

Reply By: maroni - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:57

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:57
can't spell though opinion..
AnswerID: 175171

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:16

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:16
The dough

(makes 3-4 medium size pizza bases)

4 cups unbleached bread flour

1 3/4 cups water (approximately)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon yeast (or 1 cup of leaven for sour dough)

Mix flour, yeast and salt in a suitable bowl. Add the water gradually and mix with a strong spoon. Increase or decrease the water according to desired dough consistency. Knead the dough, cover it and let it rise until double in size. Divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces (about the size of a tennis ball). Shape the pieces into balls, place them on a floured board, cover them and let them rest for a few minutes.

Roll out the pieces on a floured board to a thickness of about 5mm and place them onto greased pizza trays. Cover them and let them rest for a few minutes before adding the toppings. Or, add the toppings first and let them rest after. Longer rising will not adversely affect the pizzas.

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 175174

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:17

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:17
Pizza Base
Chef: Ann Meyer

720 Afternoon's regular cook (Wednesdays 2.45pm)

Degree of difficulty: Medium

Cooking Time: 10 minutes

You need:
450g of bread flour
1 teaspoon of instant yeast (yeast that does not need to be dissolved in water)
1 tablespoon of Lake Crystal salt
770ml of water
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
75g of semolina

Method:
In a large bowl mix flours, yeast and salt; pour in the water, stir well with a wooden spoon till dough is soft and messy.

Put the dough into a mixer with a dough hook and mix on slow speed for 1 minute then high for 4minutes always scrapping down the dough.

Take out a piece of dough and stretch this, if it does not break then it is ready.

Place in a well oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and leave to rise, till the dough doubles in size, in this weather it will take about 1 hour.

Punch down the dough and knead for 5 minutes. Return to the bowl and leave to rise again about 30minutes.

It is up to you how many pizzas you make from this amount of dough.
2 large ones or very small ones the technique is the same.

Roll out the dough or push out with your hands till you reach the thickness you prefer.

Meld into a pizza shape, brush with tomato passata cover with sliced tomatoes, thin slices of fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, tear a handful of basil leaves and toss on top, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle over a little salt.

Bake in the oven for about 10minutes, but keep an eye on it till you are confident about the time and the temperature of your oven.

Please Note: The oven temperature for a pizza is the maximum temperature that your oven can give; preheat for at least an hour before you put the pizza in.

The flour needs to be the strongest plain bread flour for this base. This flour allows the base to cook to a crisp like texture, not soft and doughy like take out pizza in WA.

Leftover Potential: To reheat, preheat the oven like above, cover the pizza in thick foil, bake for 5mins then remove the foil and cook for a couple of minutes.

This recipe featured by Bernadette Young

Try looking on the internet Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 431250

Follow Up By: Laura B - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:55

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:55
got no yeast - just had a look - oh well - could always have flat based pizza!!

Thanks anyway....

Laura
FollowupID: 431257

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:30

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:30
well i used 4c sr flour, 1 3/4 c water, good sprinkle salt,let it sit for hour 1/2 added chermoula to it too....it rose up like you wouldnt beloeve - i now know how you get 3 -4 bases out of it - need to buy a rolling pin!!

Laura
FollowupID: 431396

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 14:43

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 14:43
I just use Pita bread
AnswerID: 175185

Follow Up By: Laura B - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 14:50

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 14:50
thats what i uually use but thought id get adventerous and see what happens....used 4 c sr flour,1 3/4 c water and a good sprinkle of alt then added chermoula spice/herb for taste - did viv moons coke choc cake just then too but nathan has gonw with the sjed keys so no cooking till 5pm....theres always the local pizza shop for back up tonight anyway!!

LB
FollowupID: 431262

Reply By: JJ - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:26

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:26
Just make a plain old scone dough. Maybe add some cheese for flavour. Press out thinly on tray, add filling & cook. Won't be as nice as the real thing but a good alternative out bush!
AnswerID: 175191

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:34

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:34
Laura,

I make these when i go camping I use the premix bread mix 600 gram ones and it make two large bases. Simply follow the stuff on the back and your away. Failing that.

Base rescipe

2.5 cups plain flour
1 cup warm water
7 grams of yeast
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Basicly put yeast sagur salt in water, cover in plastic or whatever, let stand till if froths up, place flour in bowl i use a large stainless one and make hole in the centre, when ready pour in water mix, knead dough on a floured surface until its smooth and elastic, cut in half roll out to the size you want let stand again for a few minutes and bases you have :)

Put in the oven and takes about 20 mins to cook pizza.

I think you can used baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast but i've alway had yeast.

I have made this mix up in the mornings dough that is and place in bowl as i drive to the next camp spot that day save mucking around that evening you just have to roll out and cook :)

Hope this helps OHHHHH Damn fine tucker indeed i must say.

Brian
AnswerID: 175193

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:46

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:46
We are having home cooked Pizza tonight.

So why not come around and join in......itrs only about 1300km from your place...lol
AnswerID: 175198

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:24

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:24
it would have been worth the drive - only ate the topping and there wasnt much of that!!LOL

laura
FollowupID: 431392

Reply By: Atomnaki - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 16:12

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 16:12
Now you've got the recipe for the pizza base, have you ever considered a potato pizza.
Still line the pizza base with a tomato spread then place very thin slices of potato over it with garlic, mixed herbs, onion, sundried tomatoes, olives and then sprinkle olive oil over the top and cheese. If you want you can put salami or prawns on it as well......... I'm now having pizza for tea one night this week.
AnswerID: 175204

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:27

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:27
sounds good - will try it - i usually use veggies and bbq then cheese - yep veggies - broccoli,potato,sweet pot,carrot,cauliflower....anything even eggplant is good.....my friend made one just like it when amy was born and i looked at it and thought "youve gotta be kiddin' right!" but its soooooo goood......

will try your one next time....will call it "Atomnaki Pizza" LOL..

Laura
FollowupID: 431393

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:49

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:49
When camping, we use the round bread, like pita bread, that comes in a pack of 6 and lasts a few weeks. Load them up, slip them into the Bedourie, with coals on top for 20 minutes - nice easy meal.

Might be worth getting for your trip, Laura.
AnswerID: 175246

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:28

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:28
i usually use that sort of stuff - was trying to be adventerous and see how it worked.....well it rose and rose and rose ome more - gave a new meaning to puff!!

it was good but i felt like i was munching on a bakery!!LOL!!

need to buy list - Rolling PIn!!

Laura
FollowupID: 431394

Reply By: ellen m - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:02

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:02
hi laura

sorry to late for sunday dinner... try these for next time. both very easy and not much cleaning up.

For thick base i use my scone recipe

SCONES

1 egg
2 t-spoons sugar (leave out for pizza)
2 tablespoons of belted butter
3/4 cup milk
2 cups s.r. flour (or 1 of s.r and 1 of plain for flater base)
1/2 t-spoon salt

beat egg and sugar
add melted butter to milk
mix flour and salt into bowl
add egg mixture,cover with flour
add milk/butter
mix
turn onto floured board knead lightly
cut for scones or roll out for pizza
bake at abour 220 for scones or for pizza ..stuffed if i know....i just check it now and again

(this is also good for dumplings on top of stew)

PIZZA

1 3/4 cups s/r flour
60 g grated cheese (handful)
7g yeast (1 small packet)
1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup boiling water
pepper
herbs

mix all dry ingredients in bowl with lid.
add wet ingredients
put lid on bowl and shake until it forms a ball
press onto tray
set aside to rest/rise for 10 minutes
top and cook
AnswerID: 175482

Sponsored Links