100 series potential rust trap

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 17:13
ThreadID: 34346 Views:2445 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Fitted a snorkel to our 105 series today and found when I removed the plastic wheel arch above the front wheel a mass of wet sand ,leaves ,mud etc packed in behind the wheel arch just above the mud flap
This surprised me a bit because whenever it goes off road we really get in and hose it out thoroughly ,when I had a better look you just cant get access to hose it out
To fix the problem Icut a 40mm hole in the plastic about 50mm above the mud flap so I can shove the hose in to keep it clean
I was lucky ,the rust hasn't started but it would only have been a matter of time
Hope this helps someone out there ,dont want to see anyone's 4by rust away
Cheers Diesel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 17:16

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 17:16
G'day mate,
My Patrol is the same and I have considered using a hole saw to do what you have done....might go and do it now while the idea is fresh in my head!!!

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 175212

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:45

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:45
I had a bit of a bingle in my first GU, the mud and sand was almost to the top of the flare, luckily no sign of rust. The problem is if you try to remove the Patrol flares, the posibility exists to break off the boss's that hold the clips. Roachie, best to put a holesaw hole without removing the flare and just hose out.. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 431303

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:00

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:00
Cheers mate, that's what I'll do.....probably need to remove the wheels to be able to do it properly ....
FollowupID: 431310

Follow Up By: dieselup - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:23

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:23
Another tip on the patrols Roachie
When I had the GU as well as the holesaw trick I also pulled all of the seal strips around the flares off ,I noticed that with the sand and dirt that they were rubbing through the paint. It also let you get the hose in to get rid of the dirt that builds up behind them
FollowupID: 431332

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:23

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:23
Just make sure you don't over tighten the nuts then Bill when you put the wheel back on! Still waiting for FTG NIssan to tell me what cased the studs to shear. Have discovered about three others with the same experience.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 431403

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:01

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:01
G'day Peter,

Thanks for the timely reminder!!

I've never been too particular about the tightness of my nuts, but perhaps I should invest in a talk wench (sorry....."torque wrench"...hahaha). At present I use a length of gal water pipe over the Nissan's standard wheel brace and also have one of those 12v rattle guns (Shentai?) which makes quick work of removing the nuts and doing them up initially.

Cheers

Roachie

PS: Have just this minute opened the box which arrived containing the extra Poron camera and cabling to fit to the back of the camper....another round of cabling to channel through the bowells of the Patrol and underneath the Ulti. uhhh Why do I do these things to myself???heheh
FollowupID: 431406

Reply By: Scubaroo - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:42

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:42
NM Pajeros have the same sand/mud trap. It can be hosed out, but you need the doors open to do so, and it generally gets some splashback into the cabin when doing so.
AnswerID: 175243

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:44

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:44
Hi Dieselup,

I found the same thing when I fitted a new aerial insert into a customers LC100 which gave me a fright and I checked my own LC out straight away and it to was full of sand.

I have found that if you open the front doors you can use your garden hose and easily rinse out the sand and dust. I then give it a blow out and a hit with INOX.

I also clean out the rear tail gate hinge area and the top of the door seals.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 175245

Sponsored Links