How do you support this fun habit of ours

Submitted: Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:42
ThreadID: 34359 Views:2569 Replies:25 FollowUps:34
This Thread has been Archived
Willem is going again just after coming back so it got me thinking - how do people pay for this great fun and healthy habit of ours.....

what about bills to pay, or the mortgage or in our case the rent as well as the gear with the 4b's that have to be there and then paying for everything out on the road.....I know budgets are great and planning a head of time is great (which i have done both).....how do you do it.....??

Or do most of you out there really having Million Dollar bank accounts and not giving us youngsters a hint of how you ogt there or do you all own your own house and not have technology so there are no bills.......

just curious......and how do you save for a house deposit and go one these beautiful holidays at the same time (because for us the house deposit thing is on hold and money used - yes i know but hey - we want this holiday!!)

Laura
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:49

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:49
I can tell u my secret....I worked about 55 hours a week for the best part of 40 years..my wife also worked but with a 'normal' job...and we are now cooling off..i now work 38 hours a week and its a snack !!....when u work like that u have no hols and dont spend money !!
AnswerID: 175314

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:54

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:54
Nathan works 55 hrs week with 2 jobs so we can do what we like - holidays - save - yada yada yada......

I guess it a choice - work hard and save and own your house eventually or work hard and save and rent and not own your house - Im with the latter at the moment...

Wanna travel with the kids while they are young.....wont be able so much when they are school....

Nathan says that 38hrs is a snack too !!

Laura
FollowupID: 431399

Follow Up By: Nick R - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:16

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:16
Laura,
SWMBO and I have a philosophy on taking the kids out of school. For a trip if we could get time away from the farm we'd take the kids out of school for a week or 2, maybe 3. In the early years we reckon they would learn more on a trip than they would at school. We'd undertake to find out what the kids are working on at the time and get some takeaway work too. add 2 weeks to the regular holidays and you're very close to a month.....
Thoughts?
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 431436

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:37

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:37
Hi Laura,

I agree with Nick. My son, now in grade three is always missing school whenever I go on my big trips. In fact this year he is missing an entire term. The school doesn't have any issues with it, and his teacher isn't even giving him anything to do as he will already be writing a journal, taking care of the fuel figures, budget etc. He learns more on his travels than he does at school by reading signs, books, pamphlets, info, distances between towns etc etc. He also learns about Australia and how great it is away from the hustle and bustle of the city. He gets involved with where we go, as I usually offer him a choice between a couple of places and he rolls the dice. This year he gets to see Perth, although he would have preferred Darwin, but that will be in a couple of years. Don't ever worry about kids and school or let it prevent you from going away. James also gets to meet lots of new people and kids and builds up his contacts.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 431442

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:58

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:58
Nick,
You and swmbo have a wonderful philosophy....there are always school holidays to over lap with and so what if they miss a few weeks....its not as if they are going to go back to school and not be able to read or write!!

I remember being in year 4 and a boy in our class went around Oz for 12 months with the family...he did a bit of work while they were away - but his mum was a teacher too....

All those stckman stories of how the kids came with them and grew up droving - they survived!! Although that was a different world back then i s'pose, oh well...

just like that song about school of the air...
...."our school yard is 700 square miles
we go out at recess time and we dont come back for a real long time,
we talk on the wireless to the teacher in Alice Springs (then some line ive forgotten..)..."hey mum whats the answer to this bloody thing"............

kids learn everywhere!!

Laura
FollowupID: 431453

Follow Up By: Nick R - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 23:04

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 23:04
Laura,
Wonderful it may be but we haven't had the chance to do it yet... we have a boy in grade 1 and a girl (laura) in grade 3 so there are a few years we could still do it. I would think twice once they are into secondary school.
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 431598

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:56

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:56
The holiday doesn't necessarily have to cost lots of money but in my case, I have the million dollar bank account. not!!!!!!
In roachies case, I think he has a good relationship with the local bank manager.
AnswerID: 175315

Follow Up By: JJ - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:51

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:51
Laura,
IMO your kids are much too young to appreciate, enjoy or learn from your travel experiences. Save up until they are older (8-10ish) and before High School when you can teach them yourself by Correspondence Schooling.
Living in the Centre, we always managed annual visits to parents (alternate) on the Cold Coast & Esperance, while going bush camping locally almost every long weekend. The favourite spot being fossicking for zircon at Mud Tank (via Plenty H'way). Our first big trip (pretty well around Oz) was when the kids were 9, 8 & 6. The 6yr old remembers little. The other two remember more than we do.
FollowupID: 431405

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:07

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:07
They may be too young to appreciated it but they enjoy the camping (even amy who is nearly 10months).

We plan to do a "big" holiday every 2 -3 years and a "small" hliday every yea in between....big as in 6 weeks...small as in 2 weeks....and little camping for a week or so here and there......

We are going to go to "Mud Tank" i think when we come that way from Boulia......

Laura
FollowupID: 431409

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:15

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:15
Laura,

I put in a solid 24h week with my toolmaking job and that is only when I am not travelling.

As of tommorrow I will be on the road until mid October, so I will not be doing my toolmaking job until I get back.

Belinda has a good job that pays all the bills and while I am away I can save some money.

Vic covers fuel, accommodation and wages while I am away so there is not that much that I have to pay for.

I am very lucky that I am able to have a job that allows me to travel and to also get paid to do it.

I am very lucky that I have a second job that allows me to travel and have the job waiting for me when I get back.

I am also very lucky that I have a wife and daughter that allows me to travel and that is very important to me.

Wayne

AnswerID: 175317

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:08

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:08
Youve got the job that we all want i think - even though there are other factors - like being away from home for so long...

Laura
FollowupID: 431410

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:54

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:54
Wayne,

How long have you been doing what you do for Vic?
I also have a job that get's me out and about but my three yr old son is the hardest person to leave at home while I galabant around the country for a couple of weeks at a time. It's me who finds it harder than my son in this situation. I have only been out on my own for the last 2 yrs and wonder whether the feeling gets any easier, the longer I work on my own.
Safe travels for the next few months.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 431506

Reply By: Alan H - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:20

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:20
Hi Laura.
I and many others worked away from home for months at a time for 12 hours a day 7 days a week to pay off houses etc. Plenty of jobs going now at sums vastly in excess of what I earned with much better time off.
2 weeks on 1 off is typical of minesites and 2 and 2 is the norm for some highly sought after jobs.
Go for it now and give up the holidays for a while, you can take them all later.
Good luck.
Alan.

PS. The government now pays me appearance money so I only appear at the workplace 5 days a week. If they want me to work they'll have to pay me more!
AnswerID: 175319

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:27

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:27
Laura

Many of us are Senior Citz. Some retired wealthy, others retired not so wealthy. Put me in the latter category.

I have made sure however, that I have NO DEBT whatsoever, and own everything. House,cars toys and rubbish. Also do not have a Credit Card.

Some savings and some pension goes on travelling.

When travelling only fuel and repairs come into the equation. Food and clothes are part of normal living.

So you budget and save up for the trips.

Just think of it....only 36 years to go afore you are a Senior....LOL
AnswerID: 175320

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:20

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:20
I aint waiting 36 years (24+36=60.....yeah ya right!!) to be a s.c - i wanna be one now!!!!LOL!!!!Na not really!!

Na, we're just saving and someday will have a house then life time after that we'll own it and then we can keep trudging along....ill just keep teaching piano and Nathan can keeo doing security and the odd job and we'll be right....

it just got me thinking how everyone else copes with it...but then i guess not everyone is off travelling around 6 months of the year......

Laura
FollowupID: 431412

Reply By: revhead307 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:33

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:33
We live on one 'average' income and we rent...so it doenst leave a lot to spend on gear and holidays etc..um or save money.

The way we get around it...is keeping our eye out for stuff...mostly at garage sales. probably 80% of our gear in the house/shed/4x4 has been bought over the last few years...at some ridiculous price...

eg yesterday i bought 2 GME TX3200 UHF's for $5 (not working) managed to trace the fault on one and fix it...so there's $150-200 when i sell it...

I would keep it, but I already have on in the vehicle...also from a garage sale last year for $100 with all accessories when they were selling for $350+ in the shops.

The stuff we have isnt crap...we dont buy crap...its either nice enough to have (and my wife is fussy)...or fixable...Our house is well appointed, but at discount. which allows us to enjoy the lifestyle we like. If we bought everything new (we do buy stuff new aswell...) then we wouldnt be able to afford much.

I just bought a quality 4 burner bbq for $25 with full 9kg gas bottle, just needs a sand and a varnish, and it will look like i just bought it...

So i either fix it...and we decide to keep or sell it. The car is no exception, its well appointed, dual batts, storage system, recovery gear etc etc.

Necessity is the mother of lots of illegitimate ideas!

Rev
AnswerID: 175321

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:03

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:03
that is what we do...get the things new that have to be new...the others are 2nd hand.....i dont buy crap either - my friend does and her house looks like a junk yard!! and he earn in excess of 100k!! (Tight if you ask me!!)

Laura
FollowupID: 431407

Reply By: maroni - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:44

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 10:44
yeah , willem i think you are right, we have paid our dues now it is time to enjoy...though i would have loved to travel when our kids were young, the timing just wasn't right..and money wasn't there, now it is kids have grown and we are able to travel a little bit until we retire and then we are off!!when is the right time i don't know, laura, just think what you want out of life , you onlyhave you kids for a short while so enjoy!!
AnswerID: 175323

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:07

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:07
Well I tried to sell my body to medical science ...but they rejected it. Stood on a streetcorner and got a cold. Bought stocks and shares and we all know what happened.
Seriously, it's all a matter of saving up if you don't have a lot of spare. Perhaps starting a small business on the net to suppliment your finances. Go around the garage sales and see what you can resell.
There are many ways of making it happen. Most of them take time.
AnswerID: 175327

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:22

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:22
i have given ebay a work out and could sell a few other things....made $600 on the last one!!!nice!!!

LB
FollowupID: 431414

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:26

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:26
Hey that's a couple of tanks of fuel ! One there and one back. But, err...you might need to flog a bit more to get off the tar :((
FollowupID: 431416

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:40

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:40
its about 5 tanks of fuel.....lpg and petrol....yeah maybe to Cameron Corner plus a little more....

Keep on trudging hey!!

Laura
FollowupID: 431418

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:50

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:50
I have around 150L of diesel +3 gerry cans to fill up ..and that's not cheap. However 210L at around say 12L/100k goes a long way.
I find that you have to be very structured financially when on a trip. It's the little extras you spend a fortune on at roadhouses etc that cost a fortune.
Due to the price of fuel, this could well be my last big trip, so I'm going to make it count.
Unless you win Lotto (and I know of two people that have done just that !), or have illegal, immoral and immensly profitable dealings, it's a long slog.
Have you considered jobs in the mining centres in WA at all ? Excellent money to be made.
FollowupID: 431422

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:57

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:57
Have thought about the ones in QLD.....after this holiday we are really going to knuckle down and get our heads into gear and make a few big decisions - where to live for starters!!! And Qld cos Nathan has family up there....hence the surfers part of the trip...mine are as north as Sydney......i just wanna live somewhere that isnt big (as in city vs shack) ........

my dad worked inthe mines in Lithgow when i was young......got retrenched though!!

Laura
FollowupID: 431423

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:59

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:59
we got 75lt petrol, 90lt lpg (get around 750 km off both tanks) and 42lt spare petrol......we average around 21lt / 100km.....we dont get that much....

Laura
FollowupID: 431424

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 12:25

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 12:25
Footy said "I find that you have to be very structured financially when on a trip. It's the little extras you spend a fortune on at roadhouses etc that cost a fortune."

I also find that if'n I'm not structured, SWMBO very soon "structures" me :-)
FollowupID: 431428

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:32

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:32
Overtime. Overtime. And a bit more overtime.

Work between 50 & 70 hours a week for 42 weeks of the year, and do as much as you can in the leave that's left - including all the stuff I didn't do during the year (chores) cos I didn't have any days off.

Dave
AnswerID: 175328

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:42

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:42
when your not full time having those set holidays is a little hard.....we need to find somewhere where there is full time work and cheapish houses!!

Laura
FollowupID: 431419

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:46

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:46
Hi Laura,

Luckily they aren't set. Holidaying in off peak has been great up until now. But with one having started school pulling her out for 10 weeks of the year is not an option. A few weeks during the year will be okay for a while to come yet.

Dave
FollowupID: 431420

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:47

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:47
Use what is at your diposal . I dont keep up with the jones's . But above all else put away 10% of your weekly net pay . You might have to cut back in other areas but this is the best piece of advice that i can give you . Cheers .
AnswerID: 175334

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:57

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:57
Laura, guess we put in the hard yards farming and spending little on ourselves for a long time. Nearly married 35 years so a business partnership where we relied one on the other but prioritised expenditure. What is the productive expenditure and what will return better? How will the business expenditure also have a broader benefit, even if not directly to me or us?

Weave yourself into the broader business community of your industry as there are spinoffs. Slow at first, then you build on them.

Stocks and shares we bought in the late 80s have built into our super and have contributed little to that in recent years but it is ready for when I retire I guess. I like what the government annonced for this latest budget as that will ultimately assist a lot of people to get their nest egg together. I have to say late 80s above as it wasn't until around 40 I seriously got closer to getting shares for the super.

I see lots of people Laura that want everything up front including 30 square houses. That doesn't save for the rainy day or get everthing together despite what the real estate market people would tell you. We got into our special home only 10 years ago.

Love the name too Laura, always have, and my grand daughter shares it with you.
AnswerID: 175336

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 12:05

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 12:05
I couldnt believe it when i heard that peoples houses are costing so much that they will not be able to pay them off in their life time!!

Great name....just dont tell me tht you love me - use to gdet it at work all the time!!

laura
FollowupID: 431426

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:11

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:11
Geez, if anyone told me that, I'd be at their disposal for life ! Unless it was a bloke of course :))))))))
FollowupID: 431433

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:08

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:08
Theres light at the end of the tunnel.

We had our 4 kids young. They are all early 20's now. We're out there spending their inheritance :-)) And a bit of long service leave helps make it happen.
AnswerID: 175341

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:26

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:26
We've told our kids to expect nothing when we die - they will probably have to borrow money to put us in the ground!

Peter
FollowupID: 431440

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:49

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:49
ill be 40 when kaseys 18 so life will be just starting then!!!

LB
FollowupID: 431480

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:23

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:23
Our kids are all still in the nest, but no longer want to go camping with us. We had a lot of fun in the bush when they were younger which they still remember, but single late teens and early 20's have 'better' things to do than go outback with Mum and Dad.

We don't mind at all, every long weekend and some of our holidays the kids get rid of the 'olds' and we go away and have a fun time just by ourselves! We enjoy doing stuff with them, but camping is not longer one of those things.

Now if I had a 10KVa generator and space to take the big TV's, Playstations, Computers, Satellite net access and stereo systems they would probably be mildly interested, but then what would be the point in going, we might as well just put the tent up in the back yard.

Cheers

Pete
FollowupID: 431493

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:27

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:27
Hi Pete,
Our kids were like yours - no interest once they were teenagers. And the biggest mistake I made was to let them join us at a conference at Cumberland Resort at Lorne - after checking out the spas, saunas, surf shops etc etc etc, they definitely didn't want to camp again.

Strangely enough, 2 of them (aged 22 and 24) are interested in going away again - but with their partners.

Laura, you've timed the kids well - I was 42 when I was "allowed" to join a 4wd club and do my own thing.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 431529

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:28

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:28
Holidays don't have to cost much - though the fuel is always expensive. I love watching the kids play with 'nothing'. The stuff you find around your camp that is free - rocks or seeds or wood etc. Can stay at places cheaply too - nice little trip to Berri and Peterborough and Birdsville and near Winton didn't cost too much - cheap camping and sometimes a feed for us hard up folks.
Andrew
AnswerID: 175354

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:41

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:41
Hahahahahahahahaha

Pity the EO discount card expired......LOL But there is still a camp and a feedfor you hard up folks.
FollowupID: 431500

Reply By: agsmky - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:34

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:34
And for everything else, there's Mastercard......
AnswerID: 175371

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:23

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:23
that is good!

well done!
FollowupID: 431947

Reply By: harry1 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:37

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 14:37
Hi Laura,

You seem to be in a very similar position to us. We seem to be the only people we know who missed the housing boom and are still renting........and now can't afford to buy. So we are off on a seachange adventure, looking for a nice smallish town...where we can afford to buy a house.

Next year we are taking our four kids around Aus for a year. They will be aged 9, 5, 3 & 3. They may not remember much in the years after, but I disagree with the comment that they are too young to "appreciate enjoy or learn' from it. The things they learn from the places they go and the people they meet will become part of what makes them who they are. I have no doubt about that.

It's not a cheap thing to do either, because although you can bush camp a lot (as we will be doing), when you are going for a year, you do need to spend a certain amount of time in caravan parks. Most caravan parks charge anything from $3 -$12 for each kid aged 2 - 25. That's a fairly big cost per night!

The only way we have been able to afford such a trip is through a salary sacrificing arrangement. For four years you take a 20% pay cut and in the fifth year you recieve 80% of your pay and have the year off. Obviously not every employer offers this, but it's a great option if they do.

I hope you can find some way to make it all happen.
AnswerID: 175374

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:04

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:04
you could always do the 20% yourself with what you bring home....do this for 4-5 years and do the same thing......mmmmmm.....you have just got me thinking.....but then again...Nathan isnt fulltime and work is an uncertainty in our town and we wanna move.....priorities....gotta love them.....

I found houses in St. George(QLD) going for $45,000 ....but then gotta get work that will be fairly permanant to pay it off.....which wouldnt take that long i spose....

Kids learn so much and they appreciate it at the time - sure they might not remember it much but its an experience whether its remembered or not....we do the bush camp thing too but yeah these caravan parks just have to have us some times!!

We almost bought a house last year - put an offer on one - thats how close - but im glad we didnt get it!! We can move now - which we wanted to do anyway..now its just finding the place - this is a part of this holiday - finding our little piece of "paradise"

Laura
FollowupID: 431455

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:05

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:05
Next year if your ever coming through Nowra NSW , pop in....

Laura
FollowupID: 431456

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:08

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:08
I just live vicariously through you lot...
AnswerID: 175380

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:16

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:16
Hello Laura

Great to see a young person putting some thought into the big picture of where they are going financially .

First , the good news . Because you are young , you can spend up at this time of life and enjoy yourself ; you will have time later to accrue wealth . Current advice is that you should start investing after the age of 28 . Given the increasing wealth of Australia , you could perhaps stretch this out a couple of years .

You are correct to question the desirability of buying a house now . A financial planner or accountant can explain why some people are better off to rent and invest the money saved . The plan here is accrue assets quicker than paying off a housing loan , to by a house later .

You can be rich , without pain , so long as you invest small ammounts , wisely , over a long period of time , compounding the returns . For example , from the age of 30 , in addition to your employers 9% super , invest 10% of your income in a good super fund .

You can even do better if you take an interest in investing . Start by reading "Rich Dad , Poor Dad" , and also old copies of the monthly financial magazines , especially " Money " with Paul Clitheroe .
AnswerID: 175381

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:47

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:47
Mum has that "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" on Video and have watched it once a while back...Nathan is already doing an extra $20/wk for super to make p for me not working so that it can pool together in yrs to come.....but nath's already 30 (31 but thats just between us - he's still "29"!!)

right now buying a house would be great - just in the right place....

thankyou for sounding so positive
FollowupID: 431478

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:10

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:10
Just a note on reading "Money" mags and other similar mags. You will find most libraries have copies of these so there is no need to buy them. This may save you a few extra bucks.
FollowupID: 431513

Reply By: Groove - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:50

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 15:50
The simple answer for me is "no kids"
Just a personal choice mind you!
AnswerID: 175388

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:58

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:58
Groove
I'm with you a get married to someone who earns more money than you

Richard
FollowupID: 431557

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:19

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:19
Just got tot the stage where the kids are almost looking after themselves.
We both put in some hard years at the beginning to pay of the mortgage.

Now we are debt free, and the kids are still at home, so they still pay board while we are away to cover rates etc. :-))

Only work 50 hours a week now instead of 70, and still have more money than we used to. We are below the average wage, but still afford travelling.
That reminds me, I have 42 weeks of annual leave and 22 weeks of long service leave to use up. Can't take it all at once since the business would go bust.
But at least we get a good few weeks (4 to 6) every 2nd year now for a big trip, instead of a couple of week every few years.
Starting to fit in a few small trips (2 weeks) more reguarly now too.

Planning to live pretty simply for retirement, so no big savings going into retirement funds either.
AnswerID: 175398

Reply By: brian - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:32

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:32
As a start possibly consider purchasing an investment propertywhere the rent pays the mortgage,there are many places in aust that this happens,eg north qld,check out opportunities in rockhampton,mackay,or even darwin you can borrow almost everything with minimal cash imput from you,need to look for major centre with lots of employment etc .Some properties are cash flow positive....
Then if you choose wisely you will receive capital gain fater than you can save.You need to do lots of research but it is done by many people.

or Shares i personally dont know mutch about them but i am told you can borrow large amounts to invest in shareswith the only security being the shares you purchase from major banks,If this helps laura contact me privately for more info.

Had great trip to vic alpine region since i saw you last,and went to depot beach last weekend near batemansbay have you been there the kids will love it
happy travels..
AnswerID: 175407

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:56

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:56
mum and dad have done this and have an extra block of land that is doing nothing since everyone around town had the same idea of building and renting it out!!

we have the managed funds thing happening which is goin great guns at the moment!!

bet it was cold!!! went to depot beach years and years ago....will get there again oneday i spose...just doing lotsa stuff like map lookin for a trip through to Alice and back - going backwards now - upto cameron corner via surfers ,boulia, etc....

we'll be abl to do a bendethra run in october......

laura
FollowupID: 431484

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:41

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:41
hiya Laura,

We made a decision a 4 years ago when Callum was about 8 months that we'd rather invest our money in a caravan and go travelling rather than renting a holiday property and prop in one place. So we bought a caravan that needed work, and basically rebuilt it from the inside to suit ourselves. After our first big trip in 2004 we decided what we really wanted was a camper trailer so we could go to more remote places, so the van was sold and the camper bought.

I guess we are lucky, we bought our place on a couple of acres which is 60kms north of Melbourne when it was cheap to do so, we had both worked for a long time [being older parents....] and Al had bought a house and some land several years before we met, so we had some money behind us. Having said that, he still works long hours and lots of weekends so that we can afford to go away each year and we are very lucky to be able to do so.

The kids are aged 61/2 and 5 and love it, Callum was 2 1/2 when we went on our first camping weekend and we haven't looked back and hope to be able to continue to travel until they're at high school, regardless of their age, they have learnt heaps, and retain information and sometimes amaze us with what they've retained. We are all looking forward to getting away again in July for 4 weeks up into the Flinders and looking ahead to next year and a double crossing of the Simpson Desert.

It's a great "hobby" and when I think about it, the cost can be high esp with the rising price of fuel, but the memories and friendships formed are priceless.

cheers

enjoy it all

Lyn
AnswerID: 175427

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:22

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:22
Just my opinion, but I would prefer to buy a property that someone else lives in and pays off for you. There is tax advantages of you renting and renting out your propety but an accountants advise on this would be adviseable.
Also think of any small business where you can write off fuel or travel and this may turn your tax bill into your travel funds. Plenty of small businesses that fit this bill especially if you don't necessarily need it to feed and house yourself so long as your main source of income can do this you are halfway there.
Most people pay 10G or thereabouts in tax each year (obviously some pay more and some pay less), that is more than enough to fund a decent holiday each year if you can work out a business to reduce this tax you are paying. I AM NOT ADVISING TAX AVOIDANCE by any stretch of the imagination.
You are obviously a thinker so just need to think smarter and utilise the money that comes into your household.

Good luck,
Trevor.
AnswerID: 175446

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:50

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:50
How do you support this fun habit of ours> Drugs and armed robberies LOL

but Seriously
I was working a Job they payed decently, So I payed Cash for my 4WD stuck some stuff on it and still had some left over, unforchantly this job would not led anywhere and I would ether end up 35 With a bleep ed body or driving Hallpacks up and down a mine 12Hrs a day, good Money but not overly interesting, what was I told “You just need a mind like a gold fish”.

I then became a Apprentice and now have no Money LOL, But since I own my car I can still afford to do stuff, well putting a bit of money away, But this site doesn’t help and I have restrained my self many times from blowing $4000 on a 4-Inch lift, X amount on a front diff lock and 33-inch tyres and so on.
AnswerID: 175457

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:29

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:29
Laura,

Everyone has given you good advice and so not a lot I can add except to say that make the most of travelling with your kids. The memories and enjoyment that will come from these years are just as important as money in the bank. Years later, like me you will be able to look back on the photos with such happiness.

You have such energy and enthusiasm...your kids are lucky...they are going to travel and learn and be open to different ideas and ways of life. Those things can't be taught in a school.

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 175495

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:17

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:17
Its great to see that everyone has their heads around the money side of our hobby/job.

I think we could all say tat we have all learnt smething out of this post whether its how others cope with work and kids and travelling or just what our "mates" are up to when they arent on the computer typing away giving idea's and help out...

We all love this country and from what people are saying - its apart of life this hoby and we just work it in with everything else...

Happy Travelling!!

Laura B
AnswerID: 175578

Sponsored Links