Bright Sparks follow up to thread 34255................

Submitted: Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:27
ThreadID: 34377 Views:2034 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All and especially Dodger, Jugs and Roachie.......

And the result was a weekend with the crimpers, wire everywhere and a multimeter checking all.

The initial post was reversing lights and what to do, so after picking a few brains on this site and receiving heaps of input settled on the following.

1. I wired in one only 80mm White LED to the rear on the drivers side which operates in the normal manner when reverse is selected. This I did so that the vehicle remains street legal for the city if system Number 2 causes an issue.

2. I purchased a pair of el-cheapo 50 watt spots + wiring circuit, which just happen to fit snugly into the recessed part of the canopy that houses the tail lights and number plates. These were mounted either side pointing slightly down and a little to each side thus giving good spread and penetration without blinding those poor beggars immediately behind.
This I wired, a la "Roachie", so that they could operate on command from the reversing circuit with a mind in neutral approach or also be manually switched on and off from the cab when the engine was turned off.
The reversing feed I got from the passenger side tail and the operating volts for the lights I got from the 20amp house supply I have wired into the canopy for fridges lights etc.
This was all done properly, using a solenoid switch in case of any current draw issues which may cause a melt down if left on for too long when using as an independant ground light.

The overhead work light is still in the planning stage as I am still flushed with the success of a WE's fun without tooooo many hiccups and arriving at sunday evening with everything actually working.

As I also managed to wire in a phone kit at the same time, it's all good as I can now talk to the microphone in the roof whilst backing into the shed without hitting anything.

Thanks to all for the input..........
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:35

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:35
John you certainly went the whole hog.
Great job.
Pity bout the work light.
Suggestion, Put a cigar lighter unit in the canopy then get a Versa Light with the 3mtr lead and it can be used as a work and camp light. Drawers only 1amp and is = to a 75watt bulb.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 175410

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:24

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:24
Dodger,

Have rigged the canopy up with those a couple of power outlet of the 2 pin variety where the top pin is horizontal and the other underneath is vertical.
Have two of those in the canopy and two in the cab of the truck and they run fridges, inverters and all sorts of stuff..

Whenever I buy a new 12 volt gadget that requires plugging in to 12 volt, I put a male 2 pin plug on the gizmo.
Can't remember when, but gave up on cigarette lighter sockets some time ago, I think mainly because the back of modified utes is usually not a great place for things to remain secure and connected for very long.
For the external camp light I have/had an old twin tube "Lucky" mounted on a piece of 3 ply with some string thru the ends of the board so that I can hang it anywhere. This is on a 5 metre piece of three core house flex so little loss in the wire and has worked a treat for about ten years, that is until we left it in the rain one port infested evening - soooo that means I need a replacement and the Versa sounds cool. As you know flouro's can mess about with radio waves so perhaps this might be a cool alternative.

The work light will be tackled soon but am wondering as to whether to fix it to the rack or have it on a pole that hides behind the canopy when travelling just under roof height and yet could be extended whilst standing at the back of the truck and rotated from there to where you need the light most.
I'm sure some clever Jo will have the answer to that one here tho.

One thing learnt this WE however was that whilst LED's are very bright, they don't in fact put out much useable light.

Regards

FollowupID: 431495

Sponsored Links