Interesting (Expensive) Conundrum with Jackaroo

Submitted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:20
ThreadID: 34428 Views:2497 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Driver's side window collapses into door.
Off to GM dealer - New regulator - $400
Ten days later happens again
Back to dealer - Need new window $500
Why?
Because the clamp which holds the glass to the regulator is actually part of the window and for some strange reason Isuzu made it necessary to purchase both together if one fails. I am also informed by the dealer they glued the clamp back to the glass when they replaced the regulator - The second failing occurred when the clamp broke - No clamp = new window = $500 = $1000 for electric window failure.
Lots of unpleasant talk followed by leaving yet another GM dealer and writing complaint letter to principal of the dealership (did no good incidentally) and I end up at local mechanics place who is foaming at the bit to get our two fourbys looked after by him. Told him my problem and the proposed cost of $1000 and off he went to solve the situation - Big problem - The dealer was telling the truth. He managed to find out from one GM dealer that they found the Camira (remember them?) clamp was similar and could be purchased for $100 or so - Off he went with my blessing to purchase the Camira part - 5 hours of work later he admits defeat - the window goes up fine but distorts and separates from the clamp when coming down - I watched it do it. - Back to the experts - What if we put a new window in and it is something else - This could be bankruptcy territory - End result - New window ordered - GM tell us the Isuzu (I refuse most times to call it a Holden Jackaroo because GM could never manufacture such a magnificent machine) window glass which is laminated separates and this happens - only way to fix it is new window - I can hardly wait for the other three to go.
Wow - What a drama and cost. - Has anyone else experienced it?
Needless to say I ma being very good tonight and trying to get a few brownie points by being nice to people in the hope the big mechanic in the sky will finally have mercy on me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:42

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:42
If this is something they know about, and the 'roo is not too old, it could readily be a case of not fit for purpose.

Noone expects the glass to delaminate under any conditions ... I'd go straight to Holden's Service Advisor for your area - the dealer should give you the name/contact details.
AnswerID: 175707

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:15

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:15
Manufactures do it all the time make non-replicable parts it’s easer for them and makes them money latter on.

I recently brought some Aftermarket Moog Upper control arms and lower ball joints from America, According to Ford the Lower ball joint are not replicable and you need to buy new lower control arms, this was confirmed when we contacted a Ford dealer in regards to a tool for lower ball joint removal and got a arrrr.., well yeah never done that before, don’t think they are replicable.

Funny that because I am looking at the old “Non replicable” ball Joints now siting in a box next to me and the new Greaseable ones are on the car.

May not be the case with the Jack as the market place for Jack electric window units probably isn’t that big for an Aftermarket company to start looking at solutios to this problem.
AnswerID: 175718

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:24

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:24
That was common in many Holdens in the past, the computer would show parts NLA , no longer available. They used the same part on the next model, just changed the part number. Probably did it with local falcons too.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 431781

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:53

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:53
This was on The Explorer, IFS you got love it LOL.

I believe they were telling me the truth as I was after a Ball Join press as they are a press fit Joint with a C-clip on the top, the Press costs $109 in the US but hear the only people who had one listed was Coventry’s and they have never stocked it and it’s worth $550!!!, I new I needed one but was not expecting it to be $550.

Ended up taking it to a Friend of friends workshop, t improvised with the Hoist a Trolley Jack some 150*2½ inch stainless tube and offcourse a Suitably sized hammer.
FollowupID: 431788

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:07

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:07
did you try 2nd hand?
AnswerID: 175734

Follow Up By: WDR - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:53

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:53
Yes - They found one at a wreckers but it was $250. It was also a drivers door so it may have been sus.
FollowupID: 431814

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:10

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:10
Cost price on a clutch kit $860, new air con compressor $2200. Jackaroos are made of gold....... these are not retail prices either....
AnswerID: 175737

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:29

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:29
To bad they ant made of oil at today’s prices
FollowupID: 431802

Reply By: WDR - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 22:02

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 22:02
This is a 2000 petrol auto - Has done 160,000 and this is the first thing to go wrong that has been expensive (touch wood)
The only other thing has been the engine warning light which has always (3 times) turned out to be a sensor contact problem.
They are a great 4x4 - Made in Japan - I agree they are expensive to fix but as you can see from above so far it has been O'K
Another thing - I had the local guy to the 160,000 service - Big one - $300. Two GM dealers quoted $700 for service and oils etc only.
If this guy has done it right - the whole thing may turn out to be a long term saving.
Years ago I was volvo freak - The bleeding services alsmost equalled the price of the cars oevr long periods - The last one was shipped off to independent once it went out of warranty - Saved me a fortune and the car seemed OK when I sold it with 180000 on the clock.
I do huge miles - theis of course helps the cars - They are warm for a lot of their operating times. - Now if only petrol would stay at the old prices Wish wish wish
I am currently doing around 750 week in a Kluger and I am budgeting $220 a week - About $150 is petrol and the car delivers <14 Litres per 100K around town.
AnswerID: 175750

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 07:58

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 07:58
Bummer...... would a complete door from a wrecker not be cheaper ? - out with the guts and into your frame ? Anyway - my 99 SE TD Jack has been a good 'un to date (also grabbing wood) - re service costs - got a firm, considered quote the other day from a large dealer here in SA- supply and replace timing belt kit (only) - $920 !! Got it done for half that figure via a quality privateer. Nobody I know wants to do the valve shims so they go to the dealer (but at reduced frequency from schedule). Dealers ? Schmealers !
AnswerID: 175809

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:07

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:07
>> (I refuse most times to call it a Holden Jackaroo because GM could never manufacture such a magnificent machine)

sounds magnificent....
AnswerID: 175815

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:17

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:17
LOL!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 431944

Sponsored Links