78-79 Series diesel gearbox shaft

Submitted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 23:03
ThreadID: 34441 Views:1685 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Iknow it has been posted a few times about the problem with the connecting shaft between transfer box and gearbox in the models between 2000 and 2003 but those interested might like to read the short article on page 93 of the winter edition 2006 of the Western 4W.D.Driver.IT basicly confirms that there is a problem after 100000kms. but can be fixed by a much stronger shaft supplied by Toyota.The only thing that I am curious about is that Robson bros. who evidently wrote the article said they only have done 4 or 5 repairs which seems strange as they are a big 4w.d.service company here in Perth and there are many (including mine at 13700kms) driving around without probably being aware of the problem.Any feedback by the owners of these vehicles would be interesting.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boris - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 10:32

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 10:32
The problem is real, just how bad it is in any peticular one depends on it's history. '01 troopy I bought early this year w/ 110k on the clock did not seem to have "too" much slap in the drive line, was infact half way to no drive situation upon inspection.
Inspection is 'fairly' easy for the mechanically minded, remove the pto cover from the t-fer [t-fer input gear is right behind pto cover]
Hubs unlocked, back wheels off the ground and trans in 4th gear.
Roll the rear tail shaft and see how much movement there is in the coupling [well, how much the input gear moves back an forth...] Putting a bar or some such through the tailshaft yolk for bit of purchace is advised, as the coupling my well be jamed in it's worn spline.
With the trans in 4th, there should be minimal play from the gearbox, just about all the movement you observe will be the dodgy coupling.
Genuine replacement / upgrade shafts are available from Don Kyat for a fair bit less than Toyota [mine was $185]
Little bearing on the input shaft is about 80 bucks.....!!!
Requires a total strip of the t-fer to replace, which can be done 'in car', but it's not much fun...but neither is being stuck a long way from home.
Best upgrade is trade up to a TD....

cheers, boris.

AnswerID: 175852

Follow Up By: stevesub - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:59

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:59
Had ours replaced at 170,000km when it went 200m from home - fortunately not in the middle of the desert where we were supposed to have been at that time..

Stevesub
FollowupID: 431930

Reply By: Nav 8 - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:00

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:00
Boris is right, the problem is real and has been since 1983 when the first 5 speed gearbox was introduced. I personally have rebuilt a heap of them and believe to do the job properly the whole gearbox needs to come out and be rebuilt with new bearings etc. The rebuilds I have done include two of my own,in fact I changed to Nissan in 1995 after owning 7 Toyotas in protest of Toyotas refusal to recognize and fix a serious fault in their gearboxes. Nav.
AnswerID: 175877

Sponsored Links