Asymmetric tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:00
ThreadID: 34486 Views:2172 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've been running Hankook z36 tyres on my 4wd for some years and have been happy with them, but Hankook in their wisdom have decided to stop making them in the size that I use (215r85/16). However them still make tyres in that size in the rf09 tread pattern. However these are a asymmetric tread pattern which I've had no experence with. So I have 2 questions. How does a asymmetric tread pattern compare with other a/t tread patterns and can anyone get me any feedback between the z36 and the rf09 tyres.
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:14

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:14
goodday from 1 steve to another
funny you should bring up hankooks i have just been looking at them again myself currently i have rf04,s 70/30ats but what the dealer tells me is that the rf09,s are 80/20 almost not an at and the next 1 down the line are mud tyres i am not sure what the z36,s are but i am dissappointed about there tyres and am looking at others even though the rf04,s will see 80000+ks

steve
AnswerID: 176005

Follow Up By: Steve from Albany - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:50

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:50
Hi Steve,
I've used the z36 tyres for a long time doing mostly beach work with them and also following the narrow tracks getting to the beaches which are full of sharp limestone, stakes and ruts. I don't feel that they have ever let me down. Their tread pattern looks like an "average " a/t pattern. The rf09 on the other hand has a blocky a/t type of tread on 3/4 of the tyre, but the tread on the outside quarter of the tyre is almost a highway pattern. So I'm wondering if anyone has used them and how they preform. By the way the rf09 is a 10 ply tyre so I would think it would be fairly tough.
Steve
FollowupID: 432068

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:46

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:46
The high void centre and closed shoulders seems to be the latest AT tread design.
Trying to get reasonable mud grip in the centre and good bitumen cornering/grip with the outside shoulders. Where as the older ATs had luggier (such a word?) shoulders. Turning the steering wheel slightly in a rut for better grip may not work as well any more.

Trying to decide on my next set of AT tyres too, so appreciate your comments, but I can not help with Hankook. Lookingat other makes.

We run asymetrical tyres on a beetle for racing. Bit of a pain, not so easy to swap around. Especially when it has different sizes back to front! Need to turn the tyre on the rim to even out the wear. In theory should give better grip, but Iam not sure if it is a measurable amount, too many other factors come into play.
FollowupID: 432123

Sponsored Links