Coota campers

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 15:48
ThreadID: 34564 Views:5062 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of buying a coota camper trailer with tamden wheels. Has anyone had any experience of towing 2 axle trailer vs one. Comments on the ease of each would be appreciated. Also concerned about towing 2tonnes loaded, any commments? Big Kev.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dirty Smitty - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:27

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:27
Pelican, I would not mind having a look at one of these coota campers. Do you have a link for the website etc. Thanks, Smitty
AnswerID: 176538

Follow Up By: Pelican - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 13:41

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 13:41
Smitty, web address is www.cootacampers.com.au I've seen them and they seem very well designed. Cheers Pelican
FollowupID: 432704

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:07

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:07
pelican,
Tony G (ACT) has had a coota dual axle camper for about 12 months .
suggest you PM him for comments.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 176543

Reply By: Pelican - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:28

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:28
Thanks for the info , but not sure how to contact Tony G (act), new to this forum , could you help Cheers Pelican
AnswerID: 176830

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:18
G'day Pelican,
I have a tandem-axle camper, though not a Coota (check my gallery pics)... I also have a tandem (8x5) box trailer that I made approx. 22 yrs ago...
Between them, these 2 trailers have crossed the continent every which way no fewer than 12 times, & I personally would not consider anything but a tandem.. (different strokes for different folks of course)...
At 1100kg tare, my camper is somewhat lighter than the Coota (1280kg advertised tare), and I "guesstimate" the all-up loaded weight to be in the vicinity of 1600kg...
At no time have I considered this to be a hindrance, & it has been in some pretty rough places, including CSR & Simpson Desert (Hay River, French line & QAA line)....

FWIW, last year on the CSR I needed a 2nd attempt at two (2) dunes, and 3 on the SD crossing... that's 5 out of 2000+ dunes... We did it much, much easier than many people we saw who were _not_ towing.... (Have not yet been in a situation where a snatch, tow, or winching has been necessary)...

Even though this camper has "done the hard yards" & taken everything thrown at it, I'm currently in the process of having a replacement designed & built (by the same maker) for no reason other than that we think we can design "a better one";-))..
I'm told that the new one will be lighter.. (by how much, remains to be seen)...

One big advantage that I see with the larger trailer (& tandem axles) is that the only weight that is carried in my vehicle is the 2 Engels (& their contents), + "day to day" stuff like first aid kit, cameras, maps etc (much of this weight is compensated for by the fact that the 3rd row seats are removed)... This enables the (driving) tyre pressures to be reduced waaay down low when necessary (and it WILL be necessary if one chooses to tow in sand (or mud))... In the deserts I regularly run 12-16 psi, & can go as low as 10 psi if (& when) necessary... even fully loaded, with 4 tyres on the ground the trailer can run on 10 psi all day off road, & down to 4 psi if the need should arise (I've not yet had to take 'em below 8)...
Another advantage is that (IMO) a tandem-axle trailer is just s-o-o-o-oo much better to tow on highway.. sit on the limit all day without the slightest hint of "sway" or "wander" or that rock'n'roll "see-saw" effect that some single-axle trailers seem to display on some roads.. (yes, I realise that loading is a factor here)...
Off road, on reduced tyre pressures (and reduced speed), the tandem rides the corrugations much, much better than any single that I have seen...

In a nutshell, if ya like the look of the Coota, & can live with the all-up weight, then IMO you will not regret having tandem axles...

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 176910

Sponsored Links