1990 Nissan Patrol RB30

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:12
ThreadID: 34584 Views:5852 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
1990 Nissan Patrol RB30, No I am not down/ upgrading depending on how you look at it.

A mate at work is about to acquire one for free of his old man, as he no longer uses it.

From what I can gather it hasn’t seen much action off road just some occasional beach work and little bit of gravel, the motors got 230,000k on it, has a new gear box Manuel (Not sure how long ago it was replaced)

So what is the driveline like on these babies’s? Same as the 4.2 or is it litre duty?
How long should the engine go for?
Things that he should look out for and maintenance that may have been overlooked that should be done.
I know the Patrol’s a fairly built proof just after general stuff, He is changing the timing belt and fan belt’s before he gets it.

This guy is all new to the world of 4Wding and at first he wasn’t going to take it but I talked him into it much to the discusst of his missus who hates the thing LOL,

Is already looking at a set of 240 Light forces or Halla 4000’s and a Uniden UHF. It needs new tyres and he was offered set of near new set of 33*12.5R15-inch Desert Duellers for cheep,

Said to me “How big are these, I Think they about the same size you have on your Explorer, and are they the right size ” (I have 30’s on at the moment) I am Like “yeah they should fit “ then got a tape measure and showed him how big they are” LMAO

Have also got him thinking about some 30mm Coil spacers and maybe a 2-inch lift as well along with some basic recovery gear.

Ha ha another one converted over to the world of 4WD’s, Easer than I thought and he’s a Commodore driving Holden nut. .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:40

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:40
HE WAS your mate at work!!!.
AnswerID: 176577

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 00:39

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 00:39
Still friends for now, but might not be welcome at there house once his SWMBO finds out who convinced him to get it and spend money bolting all the other chit onto it. LOL

It was a free Patrol, what sort of friend would I be if I let em pass up that opportunity, he new he wanted it but just didn’t know it yet, all I did was give em a little push in the right direction.

“ Just take it, it’s free you idiot, na stuff what the missus tells ya, she will get over it, just take it , what’s the worst than can happen”
FollowupID: 432667

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 23:33

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 23:33
Good donk but you need to understand them they are quite sporty if you Drive them.

copied and pasted this from post 27824

Cheapest and Easiest thing to try is premium and drive it the way the motor was designed - rev - it. Take it out to 5000 rpm when you need power - it will not hurt it. (Redlines at 6000rpm and Nissan have rev limiter on distributor so you cant hurt it.)

If you really insist on spending money and want some serious grunt. Just do the following -

Do a compression test, if all cyls over 170 +/-10psi Just put a set of good Extractors a 2.5 inch free flow sports exhaust and run it on premium. Run it out to 4,500 rpm and use 5th gear as an overdrive only - it will be lots of fun and have heaps of grunt. This is a short stroke high revving motor (compare it to a Kawasaki 4 cyl motor bike (12000rpm) and a 2 cyl Harley Davidson (2000rpm) some motors just lope along - this one does not) and will sit on 4,000rpm all day. Used normally 450,000ks common before needing to do the bottom end.
If you get a chance get rid of the heater elements and the deflector at the base of the carby in the top of the inlet manifold. This will give you about 10-15% more grunt below 2500rpm once the motor is warm.

If compression is down to below 150psi rip the head off and just do the valves (rings should be ok) and if not already done - replace timing belt and waterpump (what Im suggesting here is for maximum overall reliability. - dont bother any other mods as this motor will never let you down this way.) - unless its been badly treated this is all it will need before at least 300,000ks if not 400,000+

Great motor just misunderstood - Ive known people to hold their foot flat in 5th all day at 2400rpm and say - its gutless - yet this motor has a serious powerband at approx 3500rpm+ and would have used less fuel in 3rd gear or 4th - You dont let this motor lug. It needs to rev.

Good advise especially if the head needs doing - replace hoses belts and waterpump

Kerry
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176581

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 00:21

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 00:21
Thanks Kerry, will pass that info on, Being a Commo driver Flogging machinery is second nature so sure he won’t mind giving the Patrol some stick as well.LOL
FollowupID: 432665

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:19

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:19
Exploder , dont waist your time , sorry kerry. Just get a VL turbo engine and bolt it in . Then fit a adjustable waste gate aand wind it up to 8 psi , no more slug and very reliable
FollowupID: 432682

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:00

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:00
The man to talk to is Russell Guest of, you guessed it

Russell Guest 4 wd, in Melbourne.

He apparently works miracles with this motor, and a damn fine motor it is. Just a bit gutless in standard trim. When you hot the sweet spot between 3500 and 4200 rpm you'll find useful power available.
AnswerID: 176616

Reply By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:51

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:51
Thanks Rock Crawler and Jimbo

Like I said it’s not mine, I don’t know how long he will be keeping it for but I suspect it will be traded in, in 8 months or so when he buys his Statesman, this is just a in-between car that will be used for a bit of 4WDing fun.

I am thinking about buying it from him when he goes to sell it, and I will use it for trips and general 4Wding as I will probably be selling my 4WD at the end of the year.

As funds will not stretch enough to buy and set up a Low K’s 03 Turbo Diesel Patrol or Cruiser. Will sadly not be getting another 4WD this time around :(

The Petrol head in me has almost won and looks like it will be a XR8 but if I can buy this patrol of him for $5000 or under then I might just have to buy that as well.
AnswerID: 176636

Sponsored Links