Tyre Pressure

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 20:30
ThreadID: 34612 Views:2444 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am a novice and am taking my first trip to the outback later this year. We are going Birdsville to Boulia, across to Alice Springs and back through Oodnadatta and the Flinders. I am driving a Subaru Forrester. Have just had cooper ATR's fitted. I would like some advice on tyre pressures suitable for the various road conditions. Thanking you all in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:16

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:16
You will get varied answers on this one.
On my trip out that way last year I ran around 28 on the formed gravel roads and had no dramas.
I was running Good year MTR's on a 120 series Prado.
Some say to run high pressures and some say to run lower pressures.
In your case I would probably run around 26psi as it is only a light car. In my opinion I think speed is a major contributor to tyre failure. Drive to the conditions with the correct pressures and you should have an enjoyable trip.
Hope this helps
120scruiser
AnswerID: 176713

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:16

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:16
You are sure to get many differing points of view. Personally I'd run around 24psi on those tracks, and put them up for the tar bits. But mine is a heavier vehicle, and full of gear. The one thing I would suggest is to check their temperature by hand at every stop. A hot tyre i.e. much hotter than the others, is one with a problem. Take good tyre repair/changing gear. The Plenty Highway is renowned for doing tyres. Basically it's a matter of good judgement and LOTS of luck on all the tracks you're doing. Most people don't have problems but Murphy is always over my shoulder.
Good luck :)))
AnswerID: 176714

Follow Up By: buttons - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:24

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:24
It may be a light car but will be full of gear and gear on the roof as well. We are not travelling alone and have good repair gear as well as 2 spares. Do I need more pressure in the back tyres to compensate for the load?
FollowupID: 432753

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:35

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:35
Personally I have the back around 2 psi higher than the front. Another post talks about speed, excellent advice. Always have a few days up your sleeve, and if you're doing above 80k/h I rekkon its too fast. Those tracks can throw up interesting situations really quickly. Taking your time makes for a longer driving day, but its far safer and enjoyable. Remember; timetables are for cities.
FollowupID: 432756

Follow Up By: buttons - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:58

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:58
Speed is not high on the agenda.I have been planning this trip for quite a while and want to enjoy it and see as much as possible. We have a time frame but are not locked into it. I just want to do this with as few drama's as possible.
FollowupID: 432759

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 22:13

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 22:13
Appreciate that. You'll have a great time, such problems eventually become part of the stories you'll tell in future years. Depending upon the condition of those tracks when you go, it will either be just a yawn, or a little more demanding. But as you'll have others with you, it shouldnt really bother you.
FollowupID: 432765

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:26

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:26
Lower the tyre pressure as suggested above and also keep your speed down !

Just because you are on a straight road it is no excuse to speed. Low tyre pressure combined with high speed is a recipe for a roll over. Just a small swerve for a sudden hole, rock or dip in the road could make the vehicle unstable - especially if you are towing a trailer.
AnswerID: 176718

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:22

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:22
In supporting a mix of the above, observation, speeds and pressures are the keys to tyre life in the outback, in my view (some would say luck too, as a fourth factor!). One pressure won't do for all of the surfaces encountered, so changing pressures en-route with a pump can be a huge contributor in extending tyre life. Roughly, higher pressures for the sealed, lower for the gravel and stones (and lower speeds) and right down for sand. EG, loaded up for sealed, you could try 35psi AND check tyre temps by hand from time to time to see how they like it. For the gravel and stones, you could drop to 26 psi and then slow down accordingly - plus keep an eye out for the larger stones and dodge them ! In loose sand, you might go right down to 15psi - driving care is greatest here I think - tyres are very spongy at that pressure. If you like to see sme pics of a Forester doing the Finke Gorge late in 2005, go to my site [ homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian ] then the photos page - then to Eric and Marsha's pictures via a text link. The Suby was compromised once only, and briefly, in deep sand. Otherwise good overall - clearance is the snag for that vehicle in standard trim. For your trip, a second spare is well worth the carriage if you have the room. We toted two spare tyre cases for the Suby (needed none of course !).
AnswerID: 176763

Reply By: Anthony - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:52

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:52
The latest issue of 4X4 Australia, has an article titled Tyre Myth Busters, which tests Cooper tyres and some other brands at various tyre pressures and types of road surfaces. Its worth a read, along with the above advice from others - cheers Anthony
AnswerID: 176787

Reply By: mickjp - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:44

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:44
i own a hilux twin cab with 31x10.5 x 15 bridgestone A/T's. for the past 10 to 15 years of travelling i allways run normal tyre pressure front ( 32psi) a bit higher on the back ( 36psi) because of the load im carrying and ive never had a puncture at all. My way of looking at it is, if you deflate them a bit they will bag out and would be more susecptilbe to getting a puncture from a rock or sharp stick etc etc.
AnswerID: 176813

Sponsored Links