93 Landcruiser Turbo Diesel Wagon

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 14:11
ThreadID: 34634 Views:1857 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me or has any advice they can give me on a couple of issues i am having with my cuiser. The cruiser is a 93 model, with after market safari turbo and detroit diff locker. It has done a measley 120000km. I am haveing these problems that I cant seem to rectify:

1. The motor is chewing oil and fuel. Fuel consumption is about 20% more than a N/A cruiser. Also, I am forever topping up the oil. Could a larger exhaust be a solution to the oil problem? (ie too much back-pressure) The exisitng exhaust is the factory system, 2 1/4" but it crushes back to approximately 1" over the rear cross-member.

2. The diff continuously locks up on ashphalt. (Basically feels like a truck is hitting me everytime it locks in) Any ideas on what I could do to rectify the problem?

3. Is 10-12psi boost pressure too much to be running?

Many thanks for your help with these issues I am having. Is greatly appreciated.

Tim Fichera
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 18:47

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 18:47
Tim,
Have you woned this vehicle from new ? If you answer "NO" to that, i would be looking at the possability of the milage being tampered with before vehicle was sold.

Also you said the engine is chewing up oil, By this im assuming its burning oil and NOT leaking to the point where you can see oil leaks.

The exhaust system sounds wrong to me. To the bets of my knowledge it should not go as low as 1 inch. Definately not right at all. This adds confidence to the fact that you purchased it second hand.

Also the description of the detroit locker sounds kinda wrong too mate. I ran a detroit locker in my race car and it never did anything that you described here. It was locked all the time when driven and even when I was going through very tight turns, i never heard any noise coming from the rear diff ( fair enough being a full group A exhaush system that would have reduced any chance i have of hearing it)

Also the fact that you are running that much boost tells me that could be causing you the oil problems. BUT im thinking its got more than 120,000 kms. otherwise why would you have that much boost.

I hope some of the above gives you some ideas to help you find out some facts about your 4b.

Hope it helps mate. Not a good sign with the oil problem at all.

Ange
AnswerID: 176880

Follow Up By: timfish7474 - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:08

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:08
Hi Ange,

Thanks for the reply. Been of great help too.

Cheers,
Tim Fichera
FollowupID: 432989

Reply By: Big Woody - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:19
Hi Tim,
I have no answers to your diff problem but I agree that I would ensure that your exhaust was a minimum of 2 1/4" all the way through but 2 1/2" would be better.

I have a 1HZ in my 80 series that has had an aftermarket turbo fitted since new. It has almost clocked over 300,000km now and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.
Yes I think your boost is too high and I would back it off to no higher than 8 psi if you want the 1HZ to last. Also ensure your cooling system is spot on and if you don't already have one, fit an oil cooler to keep the engine oil temp down.
If I am empty and not towing I can get 13L/100km on a highway run but if I am loaded and towing or pushing it a bit around town it can go up to around 16-17L/100km.

Finally, I also run synthetic oil in the engine and change every 5000km. When I first switched to the synthetic oil, after the first 5000km, my idle speed had crept up to 850rpm from 650rpm so that is evidence to me that there is less friction in the engine, which in turn means less heat.

I hope some of this helps,

Brett
AnswerID: 176962

Follow Up By: timfish7474 - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:04

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:04
Hi Brett,

Thanks heaps for your response. It has been a great help.

Cheers,
Tim Fichera
FollowupID: 432988

Sponsored Links