Reminiscent - Or How I make You All Feel Young.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 22:00
ThreadID: 34750 Views:2003 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Talking to a young fella about the old days and one thing lead to another. I have started to think of some car related inventions I have seen - No doubt some of you could add more - - It also makes me wonder how we stayed alive (I could really give some hair raising stories on that one):-

Tubeless tyres
Safety rims
Cross tread tyres
Radial tyres
Puncture plugs.
Disk Brakes
Seat belts
Air bags
Syncho on first gear
Four on the floor with synchro
Indicators
Airconditioning
Electric windows
Electric mirrors
Elimination of quarter windows (retograde step that - they were great airconditioners)
False leather (I fondly remember the beautiful smell of an old Austin 90)
Lights that worked.
Lights that went on when you opened the door
Computers
Non metal materials (Old cars were designed to kill in an accident)
Laminated window screens etc
(Does anyone remember the old vacuum wipers that went slower as you increased speed)
(I won't go into mechanicals - take too long)
Slipping bands (that started the abovementioned conversation)
Traffic calmers
Humps
Roundabouts (I do remember one)
Give way signs
Speed limit in the country (70-80 MPH was standard in the chev ute between Adelaide and Ceduna on the old dirt Eyre Highway.) 80mph = 128KPH and blowouts were common (I always drove one leg even though I was only 14 or 15) -( I think that is why I am a little confident in a 4X4 on dirt - How easy is that! )

etc etc etc

We really are progessing aren't we.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 22:22

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 22:22
Also:

Synchro on reverse
hydraulic jacks
vinyl roofs
funny how pressure is still psi, but most other measurements are metricated
kilometres not miles
today's six speed automagics Vs Holden's Hydramatic of the 1960's
red light cameras
speed cameras & radars & "please blow into this, Sir"
regulated tow truck industry
CB radios
8 track cassettes
iPods
dashboards not made of steel (eg 1960's falcons & Holdens)
AnswerID: 177557

Follow Up By: WDR - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 22:37

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 22:37
When I was a little younger I had a XT (I think) falcon with vinyl roof, white wall tyres and deep maroon upholstery - Buggers to clean (boot polish use went up) but I thought I was xmas
FollowupID: 433679

Follow Up By: WDR - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:35

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:35
Manual Chokes
Central Locking
Car Alarms
FollowupID: 433758

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 23:07

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 23:07
Oh I had some wonderful crashes in the 60's with all sorts of tin monsters(mainly Fords) and somehow survived them. The 70's were reasonably trouble free(except for a few 4x4 mishaps out bush) but then in the early 80's I got cleaned up twice in two years in succession. Managed to get out of those with not too many broken bits.

Been trouble free since then...touch wood(says he touching his head)

My biggest bugbear was that some cars were sold without heaters in those early days!!!!

Better watch out for Murphy..................
AnswerID: 177569

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 06:45

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 06:45
My late father bought a 1970 HT Holden, the salesman tried to upsell him to one with a heater..... Dad refused! He didn't like ANY accessories and even disconnected the ciggy lighter!

LOL......
AnswerID: 177589

Reply By: Michael B - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:32

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:32
I have just progressed backwards..........

Bought a 1969 valiant, one owner -little old lady that only drove around town, that is true too 'cos we know her and the car (she lost her licence about 6 years ago when she was 87, and the car had been on blocks since)

It has all the nostalgia of that era, basic but good. SWMBO loves it to bits.

Does make the troopy seem like a luxury car tho;)

Regards
Michael B (SA)
AnswerID: 177603

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:08

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:08
Hello Michael

I swapped my 67 Valiant for a Tojo HJ60 at the end of 2004. Had it for a few years and didnt have garage for it and was not using it. It was good ole bus and we went on a few joyrides.

Thinking of buying a less complicated 4by again. There is an old petrol Troopy around here that I have in mind....lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 433725

Follow Up By: Michael B - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:39

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:39
Mornin' Willem,

Must say you are so brave....posting that you are even 'thinking' of going Toyota..lol.

BTW, must get the heater fixed in the valiant,,frosty frosty this morn..again.

Michael
FollowupID: 433740

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:32

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:32
This reminds me of a conversation I had with No.1 daughter, all of 16yo and nothing to learn.
She was asking me about learning to drive, actually she was telling me how good she is. Buggered if I can tell how she knows that, she's driven my old VL Commodore around a car park a couple of times. Tells me she'll never drive my Troopy, manuals are a pain.(There is a 4wd god) Again, I don't know how she learnt that, she's never even sat in the drivers seat of a manual!!

Anyway, she asked me what I learned to drive in. Easy, 1953 model Dodge 1 ton truck. 3 speed column no synchro on 1st, 6 volt electrics, side valve six cylinder awesome power, I could beat a Leyland bus off the traffic lights!!
It had an ignition key and a foot pedal starter on the left hand floor that manually pushed the starter onto the ring gear and engaged the electrics. Basically a foot operated solenoid. It was on the left for two reasons, that's where the starter motor was and the truck was made for the American market, left hand drive and converted in Australia by Chrysler.
No heaters or anything beyond what it actually needed to run.
It was totally theft proof, there where only two people who could start it, Dad and I. Don't know how many timnes I had to rescue my brother from a flat battery because he couldn't start it!!

Any way, I digressed, back to No.1 daughter. I was telling her all about the Dodge.
Her answer? Why would people make cars like that?
Ahh, she's her mothers daughter.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 177646

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:38

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:38
Remember Vanguard Spacemasters. They had a column shift on the right side of the column and gears were all over the place compared to LHS column shift.

The first vehicles I remember at home were a Rugby and an Overlander. I'd be rich now if I had kept them. The old man used them for the farm - cut the back off and made atray top out of them. ??????
AnswerID: 177672

Follow Up By: WDR - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:17

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:17
Yeah we used to go spot lighting on a converted Mode T - Have no idea where that went but there were other old cars around the farm, mainly in hay sheds and used by the chooks to roost and lay eggs in. If only I had them now.
We had a standard in Adelaide for a small while (very smallish English car) Were the Vanguard Spacemasters related to the Standard Vanguards?
FollowupID: 433837

Reply By: Lost one - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:15

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:15
What about

Headrests & the demise of open speed limits

Cheers
AnswerID: 177697

Reply By: eerfree - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:41

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:41
Spacemaster was the Standard Vanguard stationwagon.

eerfree
AnswerID: 177705

Sponsored Links