Roof Rack repairs

Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 23:05
ThreadID: 34782 Views:1614 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As mentioned in an earlier post some time in May(I cannot find it in the archives), my steel 4WD Systems roof rack cracked all 6 legs on the last trip into the deserts.

The manufacturer offered me the legs and gutter runners for $100 plus freight.

When I removed the legs I saw what the problem was, and told the manufacturer that it would break in the same place again.

So a mate welded all the cracks and I made up gussets which he welded to the legs and now it should not break again. I paid my mate $30 as that is what he asked for. And the welds are very good!!

So the RR goes back on tomorrow. I wish I could do without it but can't...bugger!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris D (Newcastle) - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:41

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:41
Willem, I have given up on RRs the extra gear just stays in the shed as far as I am concerned. Last trip on CSR steeled my resolve to that, damn RRs are just too much of a worry. Small is beautiful after all.
AnswerID: 177784

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:47

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:47
goodday willem
how are you going
my roof rack is a tradesman rack with 8 legs but i got a mate to weld a mesh inside and tidy up some existing welds so i hope it holds together i built an air deflector on the front and it all seems good
we start serious planning today for our trip going to visit our travelling companions to sort out plan A simpson and a plan b in case of bad weather (dont need the problems of being stuck up there so we are flexible always next year might be a tarred road by then hahahaha)

steve
AnswerID: 177785

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 14:47

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 14:47
The biggest problem with most roof racks is their lack of flexability. Any rack that has the mounting brackets welded directly to the cross bars is more likely to crack. Reinforcing them only makes them stiffer & doesn't really fix the problem. If a rack is too stiff the next weak spot is the gutters or the roof bolts & you don't wont to tear them out offroad.
Some of the newer racks have separate gutter rails that are bolted through slotted holes in the side plates onto the main cage. These seem to allow the cars body to flex without any cracking problems. ECB (through Opposite Lock) supply a great alloy rack with this design. I was initially hesitant at getting an alloy rack (particually where I take the car) but it's been perfect so far. (6 years)
Cheers Craig..........
ECB 3/4 alloy rack on HZJ105
AnswerID: 177828

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 15:01

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 15:01
Hi Craig

My 3/4 roof rack has the three legs each side which are welded to the gutter mount, separate from the roof rack. They are coach-bolted on to the rack. The problem arose at the bottom bolt hole. The steel is not strong enough there and the hole drilled through it weakens it. Now that it has been 'gusseted' I reckon it should be pretty strong. Will also now only carry light stuff on top and no more than 30-40 kilos since the bush trailer has been added on to the back of the truck.

I hate roof racks but I have to carry stuff around town like ladders etc from time to time and it doubles up as a ute for me. I have a box trailer as well but the roofrack is good value from a usefullness point of view.

Cheers from a freezing Peterborough
FollowupID: 433955

Reply By: Jugs - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 15:22

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 15:22
Willem What about a Pic. I have the same rack so would be interested.

Jugs
AnswerID: 177833

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:50

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:50
Jugs

I took two pics of the cracks but not the repairs as yet.

Send me an email through www.kempen.id.au and I will send the first two and will take a couple of pics tomorrow of the repairs and send them as well

Cheers
FollowupID: 434029

Sponsored Links