How to flush water contaminated diff oil???

Submitted: Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 18:12
ThreadID: 34860 Views:10276 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have got water in my diffs (both). I have drained and refilled will fresh oil. One week later (no off-road) I checked the diffs and the new oil was contaminated by left-over bad oil from the draining process. So I drained again. One week later (still no off-road) and again the oil was still milky. I did this a third time and guess what - still contamination. This is getting expensive!! Getting better but!!!

Is there a product that I could fill the diff with, go for a short drive, drain and get rid of ALL the contaminated oil? A flushing oil for diffs?? I have not the time, space or facilities to strip the diff housings, but having to change the diff oil 5 or 6 times is expensive. I thought maybe kero would do the job but am not sure if it would affect any seals (air locker in rear too).

I never had any problems with water ingress untill I had diff breather extensions fitted. Have checked the breather lines and they are clear, terminates in engine bay high up on top of firewall.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 19:07

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 19:07
Not really much you can use except keep changing the oil.
That is why if you suspect water has entered it is best to check diffs etc straight after the water crossing and drain the water out before it can mix with the oil.
all good in theory but hard to practise in the field ;-))
You may find that the reason the diffs sucked oil in with the breather extensions fitted is because the breather hose are too small diameter for the length, too much restriction to air flow and presto the diffs pull it past the seals.
AnswerID: 178119

Follow Up By: Tony J - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:26

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:26
Hi Peter, I was starting to think that maybe the lines are too narrow. I think I'll redo them.

Because this is the first time I've had water in the diffs, I didn't suspect it after the last water crossing I did (which was months ago). Only found out through normal maintenance.
FollowupID: 434391

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 21:18

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 21:18
G'day Tony,

You didn't mention vehicle make, but if the drain plugs are off-centre in the diff-housings (like Nissans), then I suspect that you're not getting all of the oil out each time you drain it...
The problem here (with water-contaminated oil) is that as soon as you stop, the water will begin to gravitate to the bottom, and this is what remains after you _think_ that you have drained the oil...

When I drain the diffs on the 'Trol, I jack up the opposite side wheel to where the bung is, & you'd be surprised at how much more oil comes out, compared to leaving it "on the level"...
Also, I always drain my oils after a good hard run on the highway (when everything's hot, & any contaminants are "in suspension").. Then, into the garage, & as soon as the engine is shut down, I'm under there with whatever I need to get them bungs out asap.. then give it plenty of time to drain...

re a flushing oil for diffs.. Would that CEM stuff work??? .. Alternatively, you might try a lighter grade oil 'till you've got it clean..

Good luck with it..

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 178153

Follow Up By: Tony J - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:28
G'day Ed. Yep, got offset drains and I did the jacking bit. I'll look into that CEM stuff.
FollowupID: 434392

Reply By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:06

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:06
Tony J,
Flush with pressurised kero. Will mean you have to remove axles.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 178187

Follow Up By: Tony J - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:31

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:31
Hi Bros, Thought that may be the case. Unforntunately no time or space for that. Guess for the moment I'll just keep changing oils. Could be a market there for a flushing product.
FollowupID: 434393

Reply By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:01
Tony J,
I had to do what i indicated after i smashed the rear diff to get all the fine pieces of metal out before installing the replacement diff. Even after doing this pretty thoroughly several times i was still getting minute particles stuck to the diff magnet months later after several oil changes.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 178231

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:07

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:07
Never tried it but just as a suggestion pour some metho into the diff (with the oil in there) say 200ml and then give it a run to mix it. Then drain and refill. The metho should help the water mix with the oil and allow it to come out when you drain it. Not sure how it works with diff oil but it works with petrol and diesel. Worth a try if your going to drop the oil again anyway.
AnswerID: 178263

Follow Up By: Tony J - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:28
Hi Hughesy,

Problem is the water has mixed with the oil. Its white like off coloured cream. I suspect that some oil water mix is trapped in the crown/pinion with each drain. This re-contaminates the new oil. Its starting to get greyer now after 3 changes.

Who ever said "oil and water don't mix" obviously didn't have or use a 4wd!
FollowupID: 434426

Sponsored Links