Reversing/camp light

Submitted: Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 22:59
ThreadID: 3487 Views:1695 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all, i'm looking at installing a reversing/camp light on the spare wheel holder on my gq. How do people go about getting the cable to that position. Do you run it all the way from the battery under the car, or is there some secret hole you can take the wire out near the fuel tank, or is it through the large door? I already have h/d cable all the way to the back inside, I'd hate to have to do another run underneath the car.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jason - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 23:17

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 23:17
the best way would be to drill a hole throught the floor & run from your existing cable. you can buy a rubber bung from an auto shop & push the wire through that and then just seal around the wire with a bit of silicone
AnswerID: 13721

Follow Up By: Andrew - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 12:56

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 12:56
Jason, I cant see how thats not going to get caught up when you want to open the large door. As far as i can see, you must have to take the wire through the large door, and drill a hole near the spare wheel carrier. Sounds a bit suspect to me. Andrew.
FollowupID: 8138

Reply By: jason - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 18:45

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 18:45
andrew,if you go to an auto electrician he should be able to supply you with electrical wire that is coiled so that when you open the door the coil will lengthen.sorry i should have explained myself better.
jason
AnswerID: 13752

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:47

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:47
Andrew.
The spare tyre brachet is also the best place to mount your cb antenna so you could put them on the same bracket. The way to get the coax and the wire for the light is to get a rubber conduit with a gromet on each end as used on any hatch with a rear wiper, the trick is to note the relative position of the holes to the hinges on the hatch as you pull it of so you can drill the same size and spacing. Eric
AnswerID: 13757

Reply By: stevo - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 14:56

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 14:56
Gooday Andrew, I fitted a 50w work/reversing light to my old GQ as follows:-
4mm cable from battery, through firewall, down inside drivers side kick-panel, under front & rear plastic door sills to the inside of the panel in the cargo area. Inside this area I installed a 100w relay which I wired for activation by the right hand reversing light (simply break into the wiring loom at the back of the light). From the relay I ran a 4mm cable through to the inside panel of the rear door via the ribbed rubber tube that carries the power cable to the rear wipers. Drilled a hole through the door panel so that the cable exited through the centre of the spare wheel carrier. The light was mounted on a right angled bracket and secured by one of the wheel nuts. to facilitate removing the spare, simply use a bullet style connector. The light was earthed to the bracket.
An excellent reversing light!
AnswerID: 13778

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 15:27

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 15:27
thanks for that stevo, thats the way i was thinking off. Just not sure how to properly seal the hole, and protect the cable where in penertrates the door.
FollowupID: 8184

Follow Up By: Stevo - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:27

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:27
Andrew, either a blanking grommet or silicone (I used silicone)
FollowupID: 8214

Sponsored Links