On the Roof Space Case Vs Roof Top Box

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:12
ThreadID: 34883 Views:4871 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are going for a run on the school holidays up to Shark Bay etc camping and instead of taking the hilux I want some comfort so we are planning to take the wife's Territory, so no 4wd required.

We have a queen sized self inflating mattress etc and as commodious as the Territory is, I doubt we will fit everything in so I will need to get the roof bars and put some stuff up on the roof. As we are travelling in July i am not sure I want to risk putting just the mattress up there (unless it will not fit in the car at all).

I have a space case that sits in the ute tub, a larger one, around 45cm high and prob around 50cm wide. An alternative is I put this on the roof, or I purchase one of the rhino-rack-type roof boxes which appear more aero-dynamic and maybe less noise/fuel used.

Does anyone have any experience in using wither of these they could share?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barks - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 16:52

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 16:52
Hi Rob, I bought a THULE X1 (pronounced 2LEE) roof box - it's marketed as a 4X4 version that is a bit more robust than the standard type.

I check out the Rhino gear but didn't like the look and they seemed a bit more "plastic" than Thule gear.

The Thule ones have recessed runners where they connect to the bar so they sit closer to the roof, they come with quick connect/release fittings, opens from both sides, spring loaded hinges (stays up), waterproof and lockable - very good gear -

450L is a fair bit of space - I think I had 3 suitcases in it plus sleeping bags, pillows and clothing - all the light stuff up the top.

Going to the snow is great - all the wet gear, kids gumboots, tobogguns etc - keeps the car very clean.

Can put it on/off by myself - 5'8"

WEB SITE -

Site Link

cheers
barks
AnswerID: 178286

Reply By: Warrie - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:54

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:54
Hi Robjo. Since you mentioned Shark Bay etc I hope you've checked out Places for all the pix and info about the area.Eg Denham, Monkey Mia, Cape Peron North, Francois Peron National Park, Eagle Bluff, Hamelin Pool and Telegraph Station. Lots of it is cross - linked to places within 5km so you should get a fair idea of whats there. Of course you can google all those places and find out even more.
Fearful winds around the area so good luck with the roof rack idea. Cheers - Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 178323

Reply By: the real chopper - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 23:09
I've got a rhino box on the roof, now and then, great quality, been out in dust and rain and never had any problems. we use it on both the Jeep and the Patrol

The wind resistance with a spacecase would be huge, you won't regret getting a roof top box.

cheers
AnswerID: 178361

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:33

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:33
FWIW, K-Mart have reasonable looking aerodynamic roof top boxes with gas struts for $199.00 less 15% until Saturday!
AnswerID: 178663

Sponsored Links