deep cycle battery

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 09:43
ThreadID: 3489 Views:11845 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
What's the best deep cycle battery? I am about to buy a deep cycle battery to run a fridge and would like to find out what is the best to buy on the market. Much appreciated any information.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - NOBBY - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 13:57

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 13:57
Hey Butch.. I went through this exercise about three weeks ago and found dc batteries differ a fair bit. From Odyssey (80amp- $489) to Triton (98amp- $140) . The majority are around 140- 180 dollar mark.
Appollo are 70amp- $165, mercury-$185. etc. I think they are all about the same and as long as you don't let them run down more than 40% before recharging you should get a good run out of them, at least that's what I'm hoping for. These prices are in Bris. I reckon you need at least 90amp for a fridge

AnswerID: 13737

Follow Up By: Butch Curtis - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:07

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:07
Nobby, thanks for all the information. Sure is a maze of batteries out there. Makes it hard when you go to purchase with all the different prices and the salesman jargen.
Butch
FollowupID: 8288

Reply By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 16:29

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 16:29
Butch, We've got a Century Yuasa N70T in our 80 series, that's been in there about 2 years, but with little use. Been going alright, have just done a return trip to Brisbane, 3200k, with no dramas, with Engel hooked up full time.

Also use Exide ED6 D/Cycle, in a couple of UHF repeaters, and we've got 2-3 years out of them. May have got a bit longer than that, but sometimes forgot to top up cells in hot weather. Think they were/are around $150-180 mark. Hooroo....
AnswerID: 13747

Follow Up By: Butch Curtis - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:10

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:10
Thanks Bob for all the info. We'll check it all out. There's a big dollar difference with certain brands and makes of batteries but I'm slowly working my way through it. Thanks again,
Butch
FollowupID: 8289

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 23:01

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 23:01
Butch.
The chorce of batteries is not simple. The deap cyle will last longer in this application if they are not subject to vibration, The plates in a deep cycle are pure lead which is very fragile, if you are going to mount this battery in a trailer or a 4x4 you will desroy it in no time on rough roads the figures you read on deaf cycle life refer to static aplications, so it is better and cheaper to use a starting battery and replace it every 2 years. ERic.
AnswerID: 13759

Follow Up By: Butch Curtis - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:13

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:13
Thanks Eric, Some great information about the vibration which I didn't look into much. I'll have to start doing a bit more homework now. Thanks,
Butch
FollowupID: 8290

Reply By: Jan - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:21
I have an Optima deep cycle battery in the camper trailer, and am very happy with it. Optimas are totally sealed and leakproof, never need topping up, and are very vibration-resistant. The camper has been on some very rough roads, and the battery still works like new after two years. In a camping situation I run a Waeco fridge (all day), one or two Versalites at night, a radio/CD/casette player, and occasionally a coffee grinder (civilised camping), and the battery will drive all these without any trouble. I have a second deep cycle (a Powerglide) in the vehicle, and when the two are connected in parallel, with the aid of a solar panel, I can prop for a week or more and not run out of power. I am not happy with the Powerglide, because although it works OK it is a conventional "top-up" type, and I have found that on rough tracks/steep inclines there will always be a degree of acid leakage through the stoppers.

The Optimas are more expensive (around $350), but you get what you pay for. They also recharge rapidly, and have a very good "shelf" life. There is a web site which any search engine will find.
AnswerID: 13892

Follow Up By: Butch Curtis - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:21
Thanks Jan,
Much appreciated all the detailed information that you have given me. I'm very keen on the Optima's, even though they are fairly expensive, but as you say , you get what you pay for. Another thing I was looking for was the anti-vibration which shouldn't be a problem with this battery. You seemed to have answered everything that I needed to know, that's the great thing about this forum, you only have to post a question.
Many thanks to you and all the others that answered my question .
Butch Curtis
FollowupID: 8291

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 16:06

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 16:06
There is another AGM type battery that has more Amphours than the optimas (but less CCA) and are cheaper. They are called Powercel and are available at:
http://www.powerdive.com.au/products/Accessories/Batteries/
Their ratings are at the 10 hour rate whereas most are at the 20 hour rate so keep in mind that the 90Ah is really a 98Ah when comparing to others. That size should fit in a standard N70 tray.

Haven't tried them yet but intend to get one for my trailer to overcome the vibration problem of normal deep cycles.

Currently using a Federal 90 Ah Deep cycle in my car - it's 2 years only and still going strong.
AnswerID: 14304

Follow Up By: Butch Curtis - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 21:44

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 21:44
Thanks Nigel
I will check these out also,sounds good. Thanks for all help.

butch
FollowupID: 8764

Sponsored Links