Reversing cameras & split signals

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 15:23
ThreadID: 34921 Views:1767 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Techno-phobes and reversing cameras..................

Well I have finally done it and purchased a reversing car kit which sits quite happily on the dash giving me some idea of what is going on behind me. I have wired this so that it is in continuous operation once the key is turned and due to a small 2 1/2" screen size this does not become a distraction whilst driving as I have been informed some of the larger screens can pose.

My question is.....If I fit a large roof top vga screen for mapping etc etc etc, can I split the signal from the reversing camera so that when I do select reverse, I can turn on the large monitor and get better detail of the behind happenings????

Will splitting the signal degrade the image or not...............I wouldn't have a clue and every supplier seems to have a differing views on this.

Thanks in anticipation.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:39
goodday john
you can get o/h screens with more than 1 input and you just change channels i am looking at doing this myself but use an indash dvd player to o/h screen with 2 inputs and just usea switch type splitter as i want to run 2 reversing cameras 1 on car 1 on van dvd player and digital maps from laptop

steve
AnswerID: 178469

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 19:00
Steve

Thanks for the rersponse.

I'm sort of ok with inputs etc and have finally opted for the larger screen to have a VGA input as well as RCA's because who ever I talk to, it would seem that there is a loss of resolution, especially on mapping, if you use only an RCA input from the computer.

What I am interested in tho is with the reversing camera, if I split the signal from the one camera and supply two screen/monitors with that camera info, will I lose quality beacuse I am splitting the signal?

Any ideas???

FollowupID: 434698

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:17

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:17
You might. If the monitors are 50R or 75R inputs then you will probably load the camera output by placing two loads in parallel with it to such a degree that signal level will fall and neither monitor will work properly. However if one if the monitors has a high impedance input it will probably work OK. The specs. for the monitors should give you a number for "Input impedance" otherwise all you can do is ensure you try the second monitor before you buy it.

I think you can buy a device called a “video splitter” which handles all the impedance matching stuff for you from Jaycar or similar?

Mike Harding

PS. I'm away for a few days now so if I don't answer any follow-ups I'm not ignoring you :)
FollowupID: 434772

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 14:16

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 14:16
Thanks for that Mike.

I will have a closer look at the specs when I'm annoying the supplier next time and keep you posted. I suppose a manual splitter itself would be fine to divert the signal perhaps from one monitor to the other if it becomes neccesary.

Ciao
FollowupID: 434831

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 20:43
john
i would think there would be some losses, why not switch signal from 1 to the other jaycar or other electronics places would have small switching units to suit

steve
AnswerID: 178502

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 14:18

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 14:18
Steve

It would seem that what you suggest may be the answer if both monitors don't light up without loss of info, so I after having a check of the above, I may just plug and play and see what the outcome brings.

Thanks fot the input.

FollowupID: 434832

Reply By: Graham - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:41

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:41
Hi John,
just buy yourself a "tee" piece and try it. They are not that expensive.

Otherwise, if one of your monitors is fitted with Video In and Video Out, u can use that to patch to the 2nd monitor. Just remember too switch the first Monitor to "Hi Impedance" as opposed to 75 ohm.

Cheers
AnswerID: 178654

Sponsored Links