Engine options for FJ40 Cruiser

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 20:47
ThreadID: 34933 Views:18206 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have come by an FJ40 SWB which either needs an engine rebuild or a replacement engine. It is a 4.2 Lt petrol engine.

I could strip and rebuild the current motor, drop in a running replacement from the local 4by wreckers for about $400 or look at other options (one may be to flog it as is of course)

I am interested in any alternative options there may be regarding other engines that will fit with minimal problems.

I don't know much more as I actually haven't even seen the vehicle (long story) but anyone who is familiar with these vehicles may be able to give some advice

Thanks in advance

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John C (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 20:54

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 20:54
Had one some years ago with a Peter Brock 308 v8 - went well!
AnswerID: 178504

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:09
Sounds like the sort of thing that might be of interest if not too much hassle.

What sort of adjustments to mountings etc were required? (or did it bolt straight in? Not thinking Brock version necessarily just the standard 308) Was everything else standard or did other components need upgrading / altering also?
Trevor
FollowupID: 434717

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:06
Hi Trevor,
There's not really much choice outside of a rebuild of the original 2F or replace it with your choice of,
Chev, 307, 327, 350, 400 big and small block, 427, 454 in the V8's or,
Holden, 253, 308 in the V8's or the Commodore 3.8 litre V6, or,
Ford, 289, 302, 351 in the V8's or,
Chrysler, 318, 360 in the V8's.
And probably a few I've left out too,

Have a look at people such as Mark's 4wd Adaptors to see what adaptors they have that will match the gearbox.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 178506

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:11

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:11
Thanks Geoff,

It appears I am not that limited after all

Trevor
FollowupID: 434719

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:16
Not really Trevor,
My mates younger brother had an FJ40 with a 350 Chev in it when I had mine with the stock 4.2
Chalk and cheese to describe them would be mouse food to say the least!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434721

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:27
the next question is ......is it worth the bother? I would be interested in peoples view on the FJ40 generally.

It was a bit of a late night, low cost internet bid on something that I hadn't expected to win. Now I have the decision whether I get it on the road or just try to quit it? I had in mind a bit of a "play vehicle" that didn't cost me much that I could be a bit more adventurous with than the GU Ti we also have.

Any comments welcome regarding the pro's and con's of the model. (at least I will no longer be one sided in the Nissan vs Toyota debate......maybe it will lead me to taking sides...?? )

Trevor
FollowupID: 434727

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:06
Well Trevor,
I was about 20 when I bought mine and it handled all the lunatic soup inspired off roading a young bloke could throw at it.
I towed VW Beetle bonnets along Stockton Beach loaded with my mates, towed a Para Flyer along Stockton Beach on a regular basis.
Climbed every hill and mountain in Barrington Tops before the Tops became trendy. Drove it regularly throughout North West NSW and South West Qld.

In all that time I broke the centre bolt in one rear leaf spring, that was less than 10km's from home.
If you really want a bullet proof, cheap offroader then it would be a challenge to find a better base platform.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434734

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:53
Theres no debate, Nissans are superior.

Now thats SORTED, the FJ40 is an icon of Aussie offroading and with a neat little 5.0litre V8 253 or 308, is an absolute dream to drive. It will be an experience though, we have all become soft in our age, i was in a 40 last month and boy, I knew it, 5.0l V8 great seats, dust everywhere but it was FUN.

Marks is a great place to start, or call Johnno at Silver City 4WD at Broken Hill and aks him for some advice, tell him Bonz told you to call, I am The Orange Man!.

Regards
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 434743

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 23:07

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 23:07
Agree Bonz, there was no intention of departing from the Nissan preferences.

It is clearly a different animal I am now talking about. The GU is a great touring vehicle etc and no-one would look at the Shorty in the same category.

With my Nissan preferences intact however, I consider (with numerous endorsements from fellow members) that the 40 is not a bad fun option given everyones opinions to date and indeed your own endorsement.

I will let everyone know what I end up with

Trevor
FollowupID: 434746

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:48

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:48
A 40 was my first 4X4 and it was bulletproof! Me and my mates regularly took it places we really shouldn't have and it surprised us every time! I wouldn't worry about the 253, the only benefit this motor has over the stock 2F is the noise it makes but that's just my opinion. A 308 or a 350 would be a good choice I reckon! Don't spend too much on it would be my advice - get a solid V8 into it, maybe some cheap bucket seats, ansd maybe som esuspension work and you'll have a deadset ball in it! Have fun mate!

Cheers, Scoey!
FollowupID: 434802

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:10
If you want a play toy that you will put on a trailer and tow to places and then let rip (I'm thinking fuel costs here), something like a 350 V8 is a good option. Adaptor kits are easily found and lots of places around can do the job, or at least help you with it.

If you are planing on driving it to your playground then a small 253 would be good. The 2F is a big drinker (strong but thirsty) and even the ford 250 crossflow has been put into a few of these before.

But maaaaaate, how much mukin around do you want to do. If the vehicle is in reasonable nick and all you have to do is drop in another 2F to get it going, I'd say do just that, and have fun.
AnswerID: 178524

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:26
Thanks Muzzgit,

at this stage the $400 replacement 2F option sounds like the go

I suspect this may end up costing me much more however because I will end up looking at this as the work horse/ toy that I build up compared to the Ti... I can see muddies coming ,winch etc etc . Not necessarilly a bad thing of course.

Trevor
FollowupID: 434738

Reply By: Sarg - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:31

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:31
Bought one new in '78. Me,dog ,toolbox & swag onboard & seen just about every road & track around Oz on a working holiday for the next 3 years. Eventually the petrol motor died & I fitted a 2H Diesel ( fairly new on the market back then) for better fuel economy & running costs (Diesel about 12-18cpl).Did a couple hundred thousand miles in it. Rough,basic,easily fixable. Got too small for a family & regretably ended up selling it, but definitely one of the best vehichles that I've owned.
Have a look at this & see what you can do with them & how respected this vehichle is world wide.

www.tlcicon.com

AnswerID: 178526

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:36

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:36
Sarg,

That sums up the FJ40.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434739

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:37
Hi Trevor,

My son has a 1975 FJ40 shortie and he has converted it to a 307 chev. Marks adapters are definitely the place to go for all of the gear you need.

One word of warning that my son can vouch for is the whole process starts to cost a few bucks and is definitely a lot more costly than a rebuild of the standard Toyota six cylinder.

This is now his third build up of one of these and this time he has opted for a complete fibreglass body as they can at times suffer badly from rust so you must take plenty of care in rust prevention.

As far as off road ability then even in stock form they are very capable. My son has gone a bit futher with larger tyres, lift etc and his thing goes everywhere he takes it. Internally he has gone to Recaro bucket seats etc and it looks pretty good.

Not a vehicle made for comfort and being a short wheel base you can get bounced around a bit on really rough stuff but it is also a ton of fun.

Hope this helps a bit.
AnswerID: 178529

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:50

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 22:50
Thanks to Brian, and others who have replied.

Above all it sounds like I have the basis for a good tuff fun vehicle if I spend a few bucks on it. Sounds like the way to go rather than quitting it.

Also sounds like a straight replacement engine at about $400 may be the best option rather than an elaborate V8 adaption etc (given it was a low cost "dabble" in the 1st place)

Sounds like these things are hard to stop and basically simple to maintain?

Trevor
FollowupID: 434742

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:12

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:12
Trevor

Lots of info for you to consider

If you are going to keep the 40 as a project then I would rebuild the existing engine. It is by far the most cost effective way to get the vehicle back to its original condition.

It is all very well to fit 'other' engines in but basically the 4.2 petrol was designed for that vehicle or at least the 40 was designed around the engine. Once you go away from the original you will end up spending dollars you hadn't thought of.

An original vehicle will be easier to sell again than a hybrid.

Cheers
AnswerID: 178673

Reply By: Ronnie - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:07

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:07
Trevor make a decent vehicle out of it go 308(60 to 80lb.lighter than 2F for starters plus the extra horses) pick up a second hand gas conversion,cheap diff lock in the front ,mate they are un bleep believable,had mine 15 plus and cannot break it.
Regards Ronnie
AnswerID: 178685

Sponsored Links